Tracks4Africa during COVID-19 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tracks4Africa during COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Thanks guys, I got my maps.

But I run Linux. How do I install the maps on the GPS now?
    Hi Henri,

Please could you send me a PM or an email with your email address - we think you should be able to copy and paste an .img file to the GPS, but we are not sure.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

If able to, please post here.
    From another Linux user
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hi Henri,

Please could you send me a PM or an email with your email address - we think you should be able to copy and paste an .img file to the GPS, but we are not sure.

Regards

Lizette
    Thanks.

Sent you a PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    From another Linux user
    Hallo Prof,

Will do!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    Hi Lizette,
    Last year , at the Getaway show I bought the T4A SD card as shown ( Jackel drinking on the cover) . I previously had T4A loaded on my Nuvi67 from maybe 5 or more years ago... but I’m still finding my way around the system and using the associated BaseCamp etc trying to do Track-Back, Track-log and transferring track journeys between and from other users ...

I’m also interested in how I can achieve greater detail and zooming on the GPS screen and or transferring a planned route across as an overlay to a more, even fully, detailed map.
    I’ve attached some photos to illustrate what I’m after.

I set my Apple IPad using google earth to about a 1:100000 s scale ‘Terrain’ map of the area around Chuniespoort on the Oliphants River and set my GPS to an equivalent scale image of the same area ... and the photos hopefully show the comparison/s

My GPS seems to be less detailed eg showing, at that scale, contours at 200m intervals whilst the Google Earth map gives main contours at 100m intervals and subcontours at 20m intervals ... ie indicating a lot more detail.

Some 40+ yrs ago I was a Geo and in those days we did prospecting and mapping with pick and 1:125000 Ordinance Survey Maps in , or at hand,
    ... (unlike today, I might add, where drones & remote computers etc are used, often more than real pick-to-rock field-work !
    The military also use/ed such maps...

Anyway I used and became quite adept at using such Ordinance Survey Plans and especially appreciated the mapped detail they made available ...
    and its such detail I somehow seek from GPS maps today, either directly or perhaps via overlays ...

Please advise if/how this can be achieved ... is it possble to get a more detail map or map underlay from T4A or Garmin ? ... detailed topography and all fixed land features (excl sat-photo)

The main photo to refer to is the 3rd
    which permits direct comparison.
    Hi,

There are a lot of questions in your post, but let me try to answer as complete as possible.

Before I do that. I would however like to say that a GPS offers very limited 'discovery' to take place. It is more of a 'search' tool if you get what I mean. The cartography and screen size does not make for a great map experience. So I like to use my GPS simply to find and navigate.

I plan my trips on Basecamp using the same maps. If I find the terrain detail lacking I would go straight over to Google Earth. There is no point in trying to replicate this on a map. We do include topographical points and some countrours but contours tend to clutter the map and some units actually display contours as thick brown lines which is really hiding map detail. So we stay clear of this.

If I was to find tracks or other features on Google Earth that is not present on my map, I would simply trace that and bring in as tracks and waypoints to Basecamp and transfer to my GPS.

But now, not all Garmin GPS units will display the map and associated data in the same way. Here is a blog specifically on that.

I also do not transfer any routes to my GPS. Most of the time it does not work and it is an inherently flawed methodology since you may change your mind at any time along your trip and then all your routes become out of sync with your travel plans.

I will plan my route on Basecamp. I will print my itinerary with Destination, Time and Distance and any comments about the route for the day (if I am that kind of trip where everything runs to a schedule).

If there are certain days where I will be driving a route which took me hours to craft in Basecamp by inserting via points and manipulating the route calculation between shortest distance and fastest time then I would simply convert this route to a track and give it a meaningful name and send this to my GPS. Then on that day I follow visually. This would go for any features I may have found on Google Earth or any other source for that matter.

I think you would gather from the above that the answer to your question about more topo detail, is it can be done and we have done this in the past where we would have a separate contour overlay map. But we had people arriving in the bush only with the contour map! So we quickly dropped these options since it created too much confusion. And we also removed the detail because it clutters the map. But with a different type of GPS you may see more detail, but by the sound of it not enough for your intended purpose. You may notice that on some hiking trails and 4WD trails we have left detailed contours in place.

I would advise to use a combination of Google Earth and your GPS. Maybe if you can identify features during trip planning then transfer these to both.

Let me know if you have more questions.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    From another Linux user
    Hallo Prof,

We have managed a bypass to get the T4A maps from your computer to the GPS if you have a Linux system - if you have already bought our maps, please send me your email address and we can sort it out for you.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Is there a reader that I can use on the Linux, so I can plan routes on the PC.

Then I can just copy the route over to the GPS again.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Hi Henry,

As far as I know Basecamp and Mapsource only works on Windows and Mac, I will see what I can find out for you.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Hi Henris,

I am not aware of any Linux compatible Garmin software. Basecamp will run on Windows and Mac and Mapsource only Windows.

Sorry for not being of more help.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    Hi Henris,

I am not aware of any Linux compatible Garmin software. Basecamp will run on Windows and Mac and Mapsource only Windows.

Sorry for not being of more help.
    Well then I think the workaround will be to setup a dual boot and then do these kinds of things on a Widows boot. (But I hate windows.)
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Well then I think the workaround will be to setup a dual boot and then do these kinds of things on a Widows boot. (But I hate windows.)
    Hi Henri,

I've been "consulting" with Google and the dual boot seems to be a workaround.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    Hi,

There are a lot of questions in your post, but let me try to answer as complete as possible.

Before I do that. I would however like to say that a GPS offers very limited 'discovery' to take place. It is more of a 'search' tool if you get what I mean. The cartography and screen size does not make for a great map experience. So I like to use my GPS simply to find and navigate.

I plan my trips on Basecamp using the same maps. If I find the terrain detail lacking I would go straight over to Google Earth. There is no point in trying to replicate this on a map. We do include topographical points and some countrours but contours tend to clutter the map and some units actually display contours as thick brown lines which is really hiding map detail. So we stay clear of this.

If I was to find tracks or other features on Google Earth that is not present on my map, I would simply trace that and bring in as tracks and waypoints to Basecamp and transfer to my GPS.

But now, not all Garmin GPS units will display the map and associated data in the same way. Here is a blog specifically on that.

I also do not transfer any routes to my GPS. Most of the time it does not work and it is an inherently flawed methodology since you may change your mind at any time along your trip and then all your routes become out of sync with your travel plans.

I will plan my route on Basecamp. I will print my itinerary with Destination, Time and Distance and any comments about the route for the day (if I am that kind of trip where everything runs to a schedule).

If there are certain days where I will be driving a route which took me hours to craft in Basecamp by inserting via points and manipulating the route calculation between shortest distance and fastest time then I would simply convert this route to a track and give it a meaningful name and send this to my GPS. Then on that day I follow visually. This would go for any features I may have found on Google Earth or any other source for that matter.

I think you would gather from the above that the answer to your question about more topo detail, is it can be done and we have done this in the past where we would have a separate contour overlay map. But we had people arriving in the bush only with the contour map! So we quickly dropped these options since it created too much confusion. And we also removed the detail because it clutters the map. But with a different type of GPS you may see more detail, but by the sound of it not enough for your intended purpose. You may notice that on some hiking trails and 4WD trails we have left detailed contours in place.

I would advise to use a combination of Google Earth and your GPS. Maybe if you can identify features during trip planning then transfer these to both.

Let me know if you have more questions.
    Thanks Johann , Lizette,

... and I hear your insight and advice but must persist and ask if Special Forces like the SAS were to parachute into a remote area on a dimly lit night with some “ land, locate & neutralize “ motive they would surely find it useful to have some detailed and flexible navigation tool to avoid crossing croc-infested swamps and treacherous prospecting pits & shafts or scale a mountain to use as look-out etc etc in the dimly lit night !
    In these modern times it would be inappropriate to just rely on an ordinance survey map and torch , or have unintegrated ipad and gps
    instruments to solve their need for flexible navigational needs !
    I feel there must be some higher level solution or is that maybe not for lowly blundering civilians like me!

Just my thinking ...
    ... but many thanks all the same !
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/04/30 at 04:33 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Bushie , I am sure the SAS have better stuff and that stays Mil Spec for a reason.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2