Engines have come a long way!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Engines have come a long way!

I recently had a large group of visitors and decided to rent a minibus. Avis said it would be a Sprinter or similar. 9 seater. When I went to pick it up, it turned out to be a Peugeot Traveller. A huge vehicle. Seats 9 people in comfort and still have luggage space left bigger than any SUV.

It went very well. light on fuel and quiet and comfortable. My biggest surprise came when I looked at the specs and saw it was a 1.6 l engine. Turbo diesel obviously, but I could not believe my eyes! I don't even want to drive a 1.6 car because the enine is too small!

I made me realise again that being slightly old school, I have lost a bit of touch with modern engine technology. They have come a long way indeed!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Engines have come a long way!

F1 is running on 1.6L as well
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Indeed they have, but with the modernization has also come complication. Run into trouble with the new vehicles and you're stuck until a breakdown can come and collect you.
    IMO an older vehicle without the gizmos and electronic overlords is the better option. You break down in a new vehicle on the pans in Bots and you are stranded waiting for an approved tow truck to come and fetch you. In an older vehicle you can most probably repair it yourself or have someone tow you to Francistown to get it repaired.
    I followed Andrew St Pierre White as he built his 105 Cruiser and keeping it simple if you're far from civilization is the way to go. Even for me living in the Garden Route it's dicey buying a vehicle that is too advanced. Reason being there is one major service centre (George) and if anything goes wrong the agents usually don't have loan or courtesy vehicles as they are too small to afford them.
    The technology has been around for years, in the early years of F1 the engines were restricted to 1500cc if you wanted forced induction and seeing a blown 1500 V6,8 or 12 was the norm. They were successful but extremely complicated and did not last all that long, often 2-3 engines were used on a race weekend.
    It remains a choice though and yes the new vehicles are extremely reliable and fuel efficient, but I like to be able to fix my own vehicles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Muller For This Useful Post:

The world car industry is mostly cars under warranty and service plan.

Vehicles of today are super reliable when still under warranty.

Us as overlanders is a small market and such will not be catered for.

I, for one, as a mechanic, have seen the newer stuff. The basics remain the same. It just gets deaigned and built better with efficiency in mind.

50 years ago a car that goes 100k kms with just oil and filter changes was mostly unheard of and definitely not the norm like it is today.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Angry Re: Engines have come a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I recently had a large group of visitors and decided to rent a minibus. Avis said it would be a Sprinter or similar. 9 seater. When I went to pick it up, it turned out to be a Peugeot Traveller. A huge vehicle. Seats 9 people in comfort and still have luggage space left bigger than any SUV.It went very well. light on fuel and quiet and comfortable. My biggest surprise came when I looked at the specs and saw it was a 1.6 l engine. Turbo diesel obviously, but I could not believe my eyes! I don't even want to drive a 1.6 car because the enine is too small!I made me realise again that being slightly old school, I have lost a bit of touch with modern engine technology. They have come a long way indeed!
    Francois, doen jouself 'n guns en gaan toetsbestuur 'n BMW M50D. 'n 3l diesel engine wat 300kw uitskop. Ek ry nou al een van 2012 af, en elke keer as ek op die oop pad hom sy kop gee om by ander verkeer verby te kom of so iets, dan sit dit net weer 'n glimlag op my gesig. En dan as jy rustig lang pad ry (so 130km/h), dan gee hy jou 9l per 100!!!!V
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    Francois, doen jouself 'n guns en gaan toetsbestuur 'n BMW M50D. 'n 3l diesel engine wat 300kw uitskop. Ek ry nou al een van 2012 af, en elke keer as ek op die oop pad hom sy kop gee om by ander verkeer verby te kom of so iets, dan sit dit net weer 'n glimlag op my gesig. En dan as jy rustig lang pad ry (so 130km/h), dan gee hy jou 9l per 100!!!!V
    Ja ek het al! Ongelukkig

Mindblowing!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    F1 is running on 1.6L as well
    That is true, but they are mostly V12's running at 25 000 RPM and last only one race.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/03/25 at 04:33 PM.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Um no, 1.6l v6 turbo turbo red line is around 12000 however most short shift around 10 000
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    That is true, but they are mostly V12's running at 25 000 RPM and last only one race.
    No they are 6 cylinder 1.6 l and rev to max 15 000rpm and have to last at least 7 races , most do now , reliability is much better than when they were V12
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2020/03/25 at 05:25 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 12richardk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    The world car industry is mostly cars under warranty and service plan.

Vehicles of today are super reliable when still under warranty.

Us as overlanders is a small market and such will not be catered for.

I, for one, as a mechanic, have seen the newer stuff. The basics remain the same. It just gets deaigned and built better with efficiency in mind.

50 years ago a car that goes 100k kms with just oil and filter changes was mostly unheard of and definitely not the norm like it is today.

Agreed, there is a false perception that the more complicated manner of modern cars makes them less reliable. In fact the opposite is happening and those willing to dedicate time to learning about the intricacies that are brought about by technological innovations will most likely continue to find solutions to most problems.

There are the obvious exceptions where certain technologies have proven unreliable, but they are typically related to the use of sub-par materials and not the design in itself.

Someone mentioned F1. Those who regularly watch the modern turbo hybrid era and have a good memory of F1, will attest to unprecedented reliability despite the sophistication.

I for one am on the side of the innovators and encourage them to keep pushing the boundaries.

Yes the older engines rarely made 100k miles, but was cheap and easy to repair. But I would also not drive some of the manufactures of today more than 100k km
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/03/25 at 05:50 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    No they are 6 cylinder 1.6 l and rev to max 15 000rpm and have to last at least 7 races , most do now , reliability is much better than when they were V12
    In the 1970 they alsi used 1.6 turbo engines but then they had to last only one race. Also used on engine for qualifing and bmw had a 1.5lt that produced 1300kw plus. Lasted 2 to 3 laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    Um no, 1.6l v6 turbo turbo red line is around 12000 however most short shift around 10 000
    They could do more if the intake size and fuel flow restrictions are removed.

[QUOTE=JLK;4354729]Yes the older engines rarely made 100k miles, but was cheap and easy to repair. But I would also not drive some of the manufactures of today more than 100k km
    My father had a Zepher V6 it needed an engine rebuild after 120k , my uncles Tata is on 140k the car is falling apart but the engine seems fine , perhaps better oils and engineering ?
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

I'd say that an old engine design, properly rebuilt, with modern oils, will last a very long time.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Different diesel and petrol, we only changed to unleaded very late.

Earlier diesel engines the injectors tended to spray on the cylinder walls, modern injectors tend to have multi injection stages preventing cylinder wash.

Old engines you could get away with a minor fault, costs were affordable, modern engines it's rollback time and second bond time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    Confession, I'm not into F1, but I seemed to remember being told they can rev almost that high, although I believe race rules limit them to around 15k today.

But on the subject of consumer engines, I'm properly impressed with the little 3 banger 999cc petrol turbo in our Ford Fiesta. Sits quite comfortably on the Autobahn at around 140kph without having to floor it. Any faster and I might leave the road, because the car is too light and the suspension is not really good for very high speeds, even though the motor can do it. You can actually fit the block itself into an airplane carry-on.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/03/25 at 06:59 PM.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd say that an old engine design, properly rebuilt, with modern oils, will last a very long time.
    Oil changes was much shorter intervals than today. Maybe too many skipped oil changes.
    Johan Kriel

Maybe too many used Castrol GTX.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Oil changes was much shorter intervals than today. Maybe too many skipped oil changes.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Absolutely. A proper rebuild these days can have an engine better than when it was new decades ago. Engineering, measurements and tools have come a long way.

Pair that with cleaner fuels that create less deposits and less oil contamination and better oil technology, then yes, absolutely!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast