2020 Defender Namibia, koakoland, Van Zyls Pass driving impressions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2020 Defender Namibia, koakoland, Van Zyls Pass driving impressions

https://youtu.be/MZ3FBxsS64U

https://youtu.be/rg9inpnrWkI

https://youtu.be/-_qGCzGR-74

Watch the last link first. It's the Top Gear one and they do it the best of the three links. Looks awsome, there are a few more vids on YouTube. Search for it. More will be posted in the day I hope as they were only allowed to reveal until the 25th.Please add the links as you find.I found these 3 best suited for my knowledge.
    Last edited by SHABEER; 2020/03/25 at 02:44 AM.
    SHABEER
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 auto.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SHABEER For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2020 Defender Namibia, koakoland, Van Zyls Pass driving impressions

https://youtu.be/CNkb3hAF9R4

Awsome car, awsome scenary ,review done very well. Well worth watching even if you don't fancy the vehicle.
    SHABEER

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SHABEER For This Useful Post:

Great, but......

I was disappointed in the high speeds through the Puros Canyon, and making what looked like a new track in the Marienfluss, right next to the perfectly useful main one.

Not really on, and not a good example of how we should be overlanding.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Not LR fan, due to two that I had many years back, but these luxury ones is maybe one of the best drive one can get on a gravel roads. I will stop here.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    Great, but......

I was disappointed in the high speeds through the Puros Canyon, and making what looked like a new track in the Marienfluss, right next to the perfectly useful main one.

Fully agree.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Very impressive, I must say, watched the Top Gear one, Carafection and most importantly,Car Advice. It looks it can deliver. Van Zylís pass is no manís land, they did it though there was some punctures which brings credibility to it.

I would have thought the cars would have had ground clearance issues but appears to be sufficient enough.

I'm sure there must have been undercarriage damages especially with inexperienced drivers.

Maybe BFGs would have been a better option for LR for the defender, I guess those tyres AT tyres are more road biased, where most of those cars will be spending they days.
    SHABEER

Didnít they all have Duratracs?

I didnít see the punctures: sidewall or tread?
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Didnít they all have Duratracs?

I didnít see the punctures: sidewall or tread?
    No, I have seen Goodyear Wranglers in the Top Gear guy, not sure of others there, he also showed puncture on descending Van Zyl, it is to be expected anyway.

There was one puncture, briefly mentioned in the Carfection review.
    Last edited by digibane; 2020/03/29 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    2011 Landrover Defender 110 Puma SW (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mura View Post
    No, I have seen Goodyear Wranglers in the Top Gear guy, not sure of others there, he also showed puncture on descending Van Zyl, it is to be expected anyway.
    just watched a few more reviews: all had Duratracs. Be interested to know how many punctures they had and where they were. The tread generally looked a bit worse for wear, but they had probably done that route a few times. Great tyres. And great vehicle, for what it is
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by SHABEER View Post

I'm sure there must have been undercarriage damages especially with inexperienced drivers.
    Why? With that much ground clearance?

All had Goodyear Duratrecs - both the white steel rims and the alloy rims. Also some Goodyear stickers on the vehicles - so I guess Goodyear was a sponsor. And that the new vehicles will come with GY off-road or AT tyres - the customer has the choice when building his vehicle on the website. Last of the old Defender also came with OEM GY MTís.

What a pity that they are priced in luxury R1m up. Also driving at unacceptable speeds according to the documentary. Otherwise they look awesome vehicles.

Does the new Discovery not give similar options to the Defender. I would find it difficult to choose between the two. I notice that there are a number of Forum members using a Discovery for their overlanding trips.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Great, but......

Couldn't agree more
    Landcruiser 76 S/W 1HZ

Quote Originally Posted by patric10 View Post
    Couldn't agree more
    They look like the kind of group that you would say "what a bunch of chops" as they go past you. And you hope you won't bump into them again.

Having said all of that: I understand they are fitting into an existing, defined, scenario that most viewers regard as being wild and free. Disappointed that LR thinks its OK, and actually good, to have that theme as their showcase, and that they didn't make an effort to bust it.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Great, but...... making what looked like a new track in the Marienfluss, right next to the perfectly useful main one.
    Drivers usually make new tracks next to old ones if the old tracks are unpleasant to drive. Badly corrugated or rutted.
    Maybe the suspension is not as good as they want to make readers believe.

Making new tracks in the Marienfluss is not nice.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/03/31 at 02:20 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

This is not brand specific, but, as much as the speeds & new tracks are mentioned, this was not a representative ďoverlandĒ test. For ex: a loaded vehicle for the same trip for a family of 4 is totally different. This featured car had nothing loaded in it with one occupant. The highest setting they used: will it still be available when fully loaded? That is how the vehicle in real life will work and we still donít know anything about that....
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Here's my take on the Defender. No-one drove next to existing tracks, they were very strict about that. The support vehicles were loaded to the hilt and drove ahead of us and as the sweeper car at the back. They performed just as well so yes it is made to be a proper 4x4 to be used in all conditions. https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/lates...mibia-45527502
    Defender 90 TD5 with steering guard, Warriorworx rocksliders and diff guard, 33' Bridgestone MT, Warn winch, outback roofrack, frontrunner penthouse RTT and awning.
    African Backbone offroad trailer.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Willemvan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast