Solar panels for trailer

Default Solar panels for trailer

Hallo people,

I think it is time...as I have time to install it... for solar panels for my trailer. Currently it has the standard older Conqueror DB board installed. It is a 2011 Conqueror Comfort. My thinking going forward:
    Two 200W rigid foldable panels (consisting of 2x100 panels each). Thus 400w in total. Connected to this, a 100/50 MPPT Victron controller. If you have lighter options in mind, please also share.
    Would you guys also recommend that I install a DC-DC charger? If so, which one? So, the DC-DC charger installed just before the charging wires from the car go onto the battery (2x105Ah) and connect the solar input also onto the DC-DC charger. I will then place a Brad Harris plug on the outside of the trailer where the solar panels plug into?
    The idea would then be if we only go away for a short period of time, to only take one panel with, but for longer periods to tale both of them with.

Please give your input as it will assist me a lot. I contacted Bushpower, but because of this lockdown situation, stock is a problem. I can get similar setup's in Nelspruit tomorrow, I will just need to build the frame myself as they dont have time before Thursday... and as I said, I have time (work is still running, but I am only going in one day a week).

I am open to suggestions.
    Thanks

Default Re: Solar panels for trailer

400 watt is maybe an oversupply or what is running from it? The Victron controller must be connected directly to the batteries.
    If there is no dc to dc charger to charge the batteries from the alternator, then yes get one. Or get a charger/controller combination that can do both, like CTEK 250 D, or get a complete power box form HCDP Electronics that can do everything.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

I run 2 fridges. One is a split and the other one is one unit. I also run a 12v ice maker. Then the normal LED lights. Do you think that 200w will be sufficient? I originally thought of 200w and a 100w.

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    400 watt is maybe an oversupply or what is running from it? The Victron controller must be connected directly to the batteries.
    If there is no dc to dc charger to charge the batteries from the alternator, then yes get one. Or get a charger/controller combination that can do both, like CTEK 250 D, or get a complete power box form HCDP Electronics that can do everything.
    I dont want a box, as the batteries are installed in made -to fit sections in the trailer. We dont currently charge as we drive, as we dont drive that far and the batteries last quite a while. But I also know that keeping charge is better than discharging, this I am thinking of a dc-dc unit before the batteries. If we camp where there is 220v, I use the normal Conqueror system to charge the batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    . I also run a 12v ice maker. Then the normal LED lights. Do you think that 200w will be sufficient? I originally thought of 200w and a 100w.
    With the ice maker maybe not. Depends how many ice you need. But looks like you need that 400 watt, but then you need min 25 Amp controller.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/03/25 at 10:05 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

250-300W is enough solar PV for camping.

The Victron 150/15 can only charge at 15A max. That's about 200W of PV. It's fine if you have less than 200Ah Lead Acid batteries in the trailer. Going for a bigger charger would not be advised for a smaller battery bank. Going Lithium, you can certainky go much bigger.

I have a DC-DC charger, but never plug in the vehicle as the 260W solar on the Bush Lapa keeps the batteries full all the time while driving. If doing your solar propwerly, ditch the DC-DC charger to save some money.

Other option is 1x 20A Projecta DC-DC charger that has builtin MPPT for solar. Would be more affordabke and dual purpose.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier (Kampwa)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    Hallo people,

Would you guys also recommend that I install a DC-DC charger? If so, which one?
    The WRND DC-DC charger has a MPPT solar charger built in and panels up to 40V can be used as well as currents up to 20A where the WRND will limit the current to the said 20A.

For me it looks more economical than a DC-DC charger and Victron 100/50. 240W of charging might be enough depending on useage.

Thanks for the replies. I will have a look at the dc-dc options with built in solar. Maybe one that can take 40A input solar