Booking Fees amid Avid-19





Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark & ENIGE BOS
    Age
    66
    Posts
    665
    Thanked: 12

    Default Booking Fees amid Avid-19

    We (6 adults) would have left on 9 April for a 21 day Botswana and Namibia tour. The global Covid-19 crisis however have put a stop to it as Namibian borders are closed for tourists and SA in in lockdown from 26 April. After communicating to all our camps booked, it is only the Namibian camps and parks who offered a refund of all booking monies if you can not postpone your stay with them. I really salute them. Botswana camps and parks however only will let you postpone your stay and do not understand that you may not have the opportunity in the near future again to visit Botswana. As the whole world is in this together, I find it strange that Botswana have this hardline strategy and even want to bully you to give postponement dates within a few days (maybe a strategy to get money for free) without taking into consideration of the tourist's predicament regarding the dynamics to put such a tour in place. I know they will loose money if they have to pay back your money but so are many other businesses in many countries. In SA it is a crime if booking monies are not refunded due to this crisis. Surely in extraordinary times, extraordinary leeways must come into play. Must say, this is again a disappointment riding on the back of the controversial new daily park tariff structure. I ponder on the thought of; Are Botswana's tourist industry still in the business of sharing its wealth of nature related activities, or is it just in it for the money. After 12 years of going to various camps and places (with many fond memories) sometimes twice a year, I starting to feel very unwelcome. What a shame
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

    Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,877
    Thanked: 1023

    Default Re: Booking Fees amid Avid-19

    What hinders you to re-schedule and organise it at a later date?

    Sure, we can debate of logistics and planning as well as availability of holiday time, but that would open a can of worms with a never ending opinion stream.

    How about travel insurance - or do they include a "force majeure" clause?
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark & ENIGE BOS
    Age
    66
    Posts
    665
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Booking Fees amid Avid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    What hinders you to re-schedule and organise it at a later date?

    Sure, we can debate of logistics and planning as well as availability of holiday time, but that would open a can of worms with a never ending opinion stream.

    How about travel insurance - or do they include a "force majeure" clause?
    But the debate of logistics an planning is the difficult part!! What hinders is as I have tried to explain previously. Imagine six people with different workloads, schedules and commitments throughout the year that must replan, reschedule commitments, targets and programs (with their applicable downstream colleagues, friends, business associates, companies, etc whom have their owns goals and strategies), then it is not that easy to just reschedule. If the group is afforded a fair time (at least two weeks) to reorganize themselves according what I referred to above, I am sure they will be able to come to some agreement regarding dates. But as I have tried to explained and what peed me off is that the Botswana camps requested our new dates within a day or two. When we declared that we need a bit of time, they wanted to enforce their cancellation policy by cancelling your reservations without any refund. Lets leave it at that. We have today came to an agreement of a new date window (approximately six months from now) for the Botswana booking agency to see if they can get new reservations at the applicable camps. If they can not get amicable reservations at the applicable camps (we are flexible regarding the days spent at each camp but can not adjust the direction of the route), surely then we will forfeit all the monies paid. Let's see what happens.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

    Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,877
    Thanked: 1023

    Default Re: Booking Fees amid Avid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreTunie View Post
    But the debate of logistics an planning is the difficult part!! What hinders is as I have tried to explain previously. Imagine six people with different workloads, schedules and commitments throughout the year that must replan, reschedule commitments, targets and programs (with their applicable downstream colleagues, friends, business associates, companies, etc whom have their owns goals and strategies), then it is not that easy to just reschedule. If the group is afforded a fair time (at least two weeks) to reorganize themselves according what I referred to above, I am sure they will be able to come to some agreement regarding dates. But as I have tried to explained and what peed me off is that the Botswana camps requested our new dates within a day or two. When we declared that we need a bit of time, they wanted to enforce their cancellation policy by cancelling your reservations without any refund. Lets leave it at that. We have today came to an agreement of a new date window (approximately six months from now) for the Botswana booking agency to see if they can get new reservations at the applicable camps. If they can not get amicable reservations at the applicable camps (we are flexible regarding the days spent at each camp but can not adjust the direction of the route), surely then we will forfeit all the monies paid. Let's see what happens.
    Where there is a willpower, there is a way
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Fish Hoek
    Age
    61
    Posts
    380
    Thanked: 140

    Default Re: Booking Fees amid Avid-19

    Andre, I realize your trip didn't include SANParks, but just out of interest, it seems SANParks too will not reimburse you fully if you cancel your booking. They say "cancellation penalties apply" but seeing as a lot of us have been caught at a very late stage with this lockdown announcement, it essentially means that if you cancel now you will lose 100% of your booking cost.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •