Dog-friendly camping in Northern Cape / Richtersveld

Default Dog-friendly camping in Northern Cape / Richtersveld

Hey All -

Once this Corona mess subsides, I want to tick off a bucket-list item - spending some time in the Richtersveld area.

Does anyone have any info on where dogs might be allowed? I'm sure it's a no in the national parks, as it is with all national parks - but what about the national heritage area? Or the Namaqua eco-trail?

Thanks in advance!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dog-friendly camping in Northern Cape / Richtersveld

Following ...
    also looking .

You should be fine anywhere outside the National Park.
    We used to camp all along the Orange River from Pella to Richtersveld border with our dogs. Name:  20200523_073452.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  25.9 KB
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    RSI Smartcap with Frontrunner Roofrack, Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx 265/75/R16, National Luna 90L Twin & 55L, Gobi-X Fridge Slide (Next upgrade - Winch, Snorkel, Rock Sliders)

2018 Volkswagen Kombi

2019 Metalian Maxi Off-road Trailer

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peyperj For This Useful Post:

Yes, should be no problem on the Namakwa Eco Trail from Pella to Vioolsdrift. The subsistence farmers have packs of dogs so they could hardly differentiate between you and them. But by the same token, keep your dogs close at hand......you don't want them coming into contact with the local "rough and ready" mob!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the comments! Now just need mother to let us go! Iím starting to feel that a trip is...essential!

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Yes, should be no problem on the Namakwa Eco Trail from Pella to Vioolsdrift. The subsistence farmers have packs of dogs so they could hardly differentiate between you and them. But by the same token, keep your dogs close at hand......you don't want them coming into contact with the local "rough and ready" mob!
    Thanks SHfish,

ah , I see you are also from Fish hoek.

I haven't been up there in many years. Please can you help me with the coordinates of a couple nice campsites and contact details where necessary. . I would hate to trespass !
    Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheoP For This Useful Post:

Pm sent. Our fellow Fish Hoeker Skala can probably also give you a lot of advice!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shfish For This Useful Post:

Hey Shfish, can you please send me some details also, looking to go camping with my Golden Retriever.
    I've done a solo trip to the park, visited all the camping sites in Richtersveld NP. Will I be able to travel along the Eco Trail solo (me and my dog)?

Thank you in advance

Smile Re: Dog-friendly camping in Northern Cape / Richtersveld

Pm sent. Our fellow Fish Hoeker Skala can probably also give you a lot of advice!
    Hi chaps, that is a route have not travelled yet. So, guess now will have to
    2010 Eagle Head 5.7 hemi

Quote Originally Posted by Elsabe Smit View Post
    Hey Shfish, can you please send me some details also, looking to go camping with my Golden Retriever.
    I've done a solo trip to the park, visited all the camping sites in Richtersveld NP. Will I be able to travel along the Eco Trail solo (me and my dog)?

Thank you in advance
    Hi Elsabe
    If you've done Richtersveld solo I don't see why you would not be able to do Namakwa. I did it with a buddy, although we were one vehicle and we never saw another vehicle on the route over 4 days. HOWEVER, if I were to do this on my own, I would definitely take a satellite phone. You're very unlikely to need it but it will give you peace of mind. Heaven forbid, but if something serious happened to you ( snake bite, etc. ), you would be in deep trouble without communication.
    I've sent you a pm.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shfish For This Useful Post:

hi shfish, Iím looking at going up there these holiday to escape the next lockdown 🤭 Iíd like to take my 2 dogs, can you recommend any pet friendly camping?
    many thanks.
    Nick

shfish - Grateful If you could also PM me the camp site details.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/11/26 at 11:38 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by muzikstation View Post
    hi shfish, I’m looking at going up there these holiday to escape the next lockdown �� I’d like to take my 2 dogs, can you recommend any pet friendly camping?
    many thanks.
    Nick
    Hi Nick (and Paul Dold)
    Apologies for the delay, I wasn't watching this thread.
    Let me firstly mention that I only did the route once and that was just Pella to Vioolsdrift. So I'm sure there are many better qualified visitors to the area than I! I didn't do any private camping en route to or from the trail. Along this section of the trail itself, I cannot see why you would have any problems taking your dogs with you. This entire section of the trail is very remote so no-one is likely to throw rank and try and give you a hard time. But bear in mind that all the river side goat farmers have packs of dogs that often follow the herd, so keep your dogs close at hand and under control.
    On my visit, we booked Ramansdrift and Kamgab campsites. We left out Grootmelkhoutboom as we felt it was too soon into the trail for an overnight stop and also the Melkhout boom had burnt down and no longer offered the nice shady site. Nevertheless, we wanted to visit the site for future consideration but got horribly lost and eventually had to just head for Raman's where we had our first night.
    To me Ramansdrift was the highlight of our journey. At the time, the river level was fairly low so we could pitch camp right on the grassy bank. It's situated about 20 kms from Goodhouse with an easy drive there, although the sandy "beach" to camp on the bank requires momentum!
    Kamgab campsite was a bit of a letdown after Raman's. After a descent down to the river that requires some driving concentration, it doesn't have the nice grassy patches where you can camp right next to the river. Again, I suppose it depends on the river level but when we were there our site was 50 mts away from the water( just too rocky to try and get closer). It was also quite dusty and dry. However, we did have fun fishing and floating down the rapids here.
    I wrote a trip report on this experience - it's under this thread a bit lower on this page. "Namakwa Eco Roete" ( sorry, I'm not clever enough to add links)
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by shfish; 2021/11/29 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Revised page number for my report.

Raman's sounds good!

Multi-thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/11/28 at 05:25 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway