Moremi, Savuti and Linyanti in a 2019 Jimny (May/ June 2020)

Default Moremi, Savuti and Linyanti in a 2019 Jimny (May/ June 2020)

Good evening everyone

Due to all fears and uncertainties in the world of travel my UK companions for a northern Botswana trip have understandably cancelled. We have cancelled our 4x4 rental booking but as a few of you have found that DWNP is not refunding camp site fees.

IF my wingman and I are allowed into Botswana (yes I know its impossible to predict now), I have a stock standard 2020 Jimny that is keen on taking on Moremi, Savuti and Linyanti. If I pop on some fresh BFG A/T's, and 40liters of Petrol on the roofrack do you think I'll make it?
    My last trip in the area was in a Hi-Lux thus I'm dealing with a completely different kind of fish.
    Just some additional points- I'll be packing super light as in hiking gear and not bush camping kit and according to literature the Jimny has 210mm of ground clearance.

Will I make it in your opinion?
    Last edited by africanwanderer; 2020/03/22 at 08:58 PM.

Default Re: Moremi, Savuti and Linyanti in a 2019 Jimny (May/ June 2020)

Yes, anytime. If it's safe and travel is open again, then go. The Jimny will be fine.

Pack light, take a jerry can. Have fun!
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

As you cautiously said, if you are allowed to travel, thatís when you will. We really discourage people from traveling across borders because of this uncertainty of this pandemic and also it seems once one case is confirmed, itís a slippery slope. Just today our President is starting a 14 days quarantine himself after he went to Namibia for the inauguration of the president. Namibia has few cases but he is trying by all means possible.

About the Jimmy, I guess the real issue will be the ground clearance. If it has that clearance and working with right Tyre pressure you can be good. Savuti Route is a high way, you could always get some help.

Quote Originally Posted by africanwanderer View Post
    Good evening everyone

Due to all fears and uncertainties in the world of travel my UK companions for a northern Botswana trip have understandably cancelled. We have cancelled our 4x4 rental booking but as a few of you have found that DWNP is not refunding camp site fees.

IF my wingman and I are allowed into Botswana (yes I know its impossible to predict now), I have a stock standard 2020 Jimny that is keen on taking on Moremi, Savuti and Linyanti. If I pop on some fresh BFG A/T's, and 40liters of Petrol on the roofrack do you think I'll make it?
    My last trip in the area was in a Hi-Lux thus I'm dealing with a completely different kind of fish.
    Just some additional points- I'll be packing super light as in hiking gear and not bush camping kit and according to literature the Jimny has 210mm of ground clearance.

Will I make it in your opinion?
    Where do you plan on sleeping? The entire area has Elephant, Hippo, Lion and Hyena that visit your campsite at night. The weight of the supplies you'll be carrying depends on the duration of the trip. The vehicle is not the problem as the Jimny is very capable, It's carrying capacity is.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

I had a chat to a couple in a Jimmy in Moremi a few years back.

ground clearance was a bit of problem. It was mostly fine when empty, but once loaded they struggled a lot. They also said they just couldn't pack enough stuff....wood as an example was a problem.....they had it on their roof rack, but the weight made it difficult.

Search for jimnyafrica on instagram. That couple has just returned from a trip like that (and more), with the sole purpose of wanting to see if it was possible with a jimny. Nice people, they'd be happy to discuss it all with you.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

The Jimny is definitely up to the task if you put a good set of A/T tyres on and keep the weight down. I think you will need more than 40L of fuel though. That tank in the Jimny is small, it uses a lot of fuel in the sand and there is a lot of driving to be done in the moremi, savuti, linyanti. Maybe take a set of maxtraxs.

Just stay well clear of the water crossings in the 3rd bridge and khwai area as that's where clearance will get you and it's not nice to be stuck in water without a second vehicle to recover. The crossings are particularly deep at the moment from reports.

Check out @roamoverlanding on youtube he has recently done some of Bots in a very modified Jimny.

Hopefully the situation improves and you can go safely.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post: