Smart battery Charger - Charging advice.

Default Smart battery Charger - Charging advice.

Hi all, Im sure this question has been ask before but i cant find the answer im looking for.

I have a 5A smart battery charger(power charger). My question is, can you charge the battery and use it at the same time?

For example. I plug in smart charger at camp. I also want to use my fridge via my dual setup and some lights.

Would this be possible? What is pros and cons of doing this?

Regards
    Goofster

Default Re: Smart battery Charger - Charging advice.

Having personal experience with a low Amp charger you'll find that the charger battles to keep power in the battery, especially in hot conditions and the fridge is working hard. It also depends how long your camping for, if you start with a full battery you can go a few days without a problem, also keep your fridge 220v power cable handy as you can always swap the fridge over to 220v if needed.

I would recommend at least a 7amp charger. I recently looked into this for a camping trailer and the Mean Well charger from Bush Power has a decent 12.5amp output for R1650

https://www.bushpower.co.za/product/...er-14-4v-12-5a
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by goofy50 View Post
    You can, but it can drastically lengthen your battery charging time.

A 100 a/h battery depleted to 50% SOC has 50 a/h to replace (no efficiency losses catered for):

With no fridge connected will take about 10 hours to recharge back to full with your 5 a/h charger
    50 a/h at 5 a/h rate = 10 hours

Add the 4 amp draw of a 12v fridge that's cycling at 50% on (only 1 amp goes to charge) and 50% off (full 5 amps goes to charge) it will now take as long as 16,6 hours to full.
    50 a/h at average 3 a/h rate = 16.66 hours

The hotter the ambient temperature, the more often/longer your fridge runs, the lowers your average charge.
    The colder the fridge settings, the more often/longer your fridge runs, and lowers your average charge.

LED lights are really, really small power users and can normally be left on 12v for the small amount of current they draw.

Water pumps are a bigger power user, up to about 6 amps or so. They are however normally used quite briefly and don't really make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy50 View Post
    Hi all, Im sure this question has been ask before but i cant find the answer im looking for.

I have a 5A smart battery charger(power charger). My question is, can you charge the battery and use it at the same time?

For example. I plug in smart charger at camp. I also want to use my fridge via my dual setup and some lights.

Regards
    Goofster
    Yes, charger 5a x 24h = 120 Ah, 90 NL Fridge , Leds, pump in my caravan ~ 55Ah .
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/03/20 at 06:46 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe