Everest - 3.2 or 2.2BiT

Default Everest - 3.2 or 2.0BiT

If one was in the market for a Everest, which would be advisable ito power, reliability and economy, also considering towing a caravan? I've always been pro higher cubic inches, but it seems like these smaller engines with monstrous turbos have proved themselves.

Power - 147 kW @ 3000 rpm
    Torque - 470 Nm @ 1750 rpm
    Economy - 8.2 l/100km

2.0BiT
    Power - 157 kW @ 3750 rpm
    Torque - 500 Nm @ 1500 rpm
    Economy - 7.6 l/100km

Figure wise the 2.0BiT does seem to be taking the edge, although probably not much effective difference.
    Last edited by George; 2020/03/13 at 11:15 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Default Re: Everest - 3.2 or 2.2BiT

3.2 tows better than the biturbo, that is according to the Australians in any case. For everyday use the biturbo is better/more fuel efficient.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

I have a 2017 3.2 and really enjoy it. I dont tow.
    Real world consumption, mixed urban highway I am getting 12.4l per hundred.
    Long country trips comes down to 10.3 for duration of trip.
    Have driven the new 2.2l and its really a smoother drive without towing.
    I will trade-in in 2022 for new spec.
    Fuel consumption and better drive of 10 speed will make a difference...and by then any gearbox gremlins will hopefully be sorted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin2232 For This Useful Post:

Just to make sure, the BiTurbo is a 2L and not 2.2L, or I have missed something.

The 3.2 is a beast, with almost instant torque, and the setup works well offroad.

For 95% tar driving and not towing as much the BiTurbo, will probably be the easier car to live with
    2000 Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!

My apologies...it is 2.0l

I noticed some sites mentioning 2.0 and others 2.2, but yes, my bad, it's a 2.0.

I have driven the 3.2 and was quite amazed at the power and the on road comfort (compared to some other familiar SUVs being favoured)
    Last edited by George; 2020/03/13 at 11:22 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

I am a big Ford fan!. Don't own one currently but you never know in the future.

Just some info on the 2.0l BiT / 10-speed auto.
    I know 2 people who have bought the 2.0l. Towing a Venter or something smallish is not even felt by the engine.
    Towing something larger though like a large farm trailer/caravan, etc they are seriously complaining that it seems the engine has more than enough power to handle it but the 10-speed auto is constantly and without pause hunting between the gears which makes driving a nightmare.

So I am made to believe......
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    I am a big Ford fan!. Don't own one currently but you never know in the future.

Just some info on the 2.0l BiT / 10-speed auto.
    I know 2 people who have bought the 2.0l. Towing a Venter or something smallish is not even felt by the engine.
    Towing something larger though like a large farm trailer/caravan, etc they are seriously complaining that it seems the engine has more than enough power to handle it but the 10-speed auto is constantly and without pause hunting between the gears which makes driving a nightmare.

So I am made to believe......
    I was looking at a newish vehicle recently and went to a dealer that shares a parts dept between Isuzu and Ford. He said they have to keep 3 of the 10sp gearboxes in stock in at all times because of the high failure rate. Not sure of this information, but sounds scary to me if you are planning on keeping it out of warrantee. Not sure if anyone else can validate this info?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    ... but the 10-speed auto is constantly and without pause hunting between the gears which makes driving a nightmare....
    Concerning yes, but a mitigation might be to always tow in S mode (I assume the Everest has it). No gearbox wants to tow at low rpm and hunting between gears will in all probability result and premature failures.
    Last edited by George; 2020/03/13 at 01:00 PM.

The 2.0 will change gears more often as the peak torque band is narrower than 3.2. That's why it has 10 gears after all. From reviews ive read the fuel consumption is not that much lower than 3.2, especially when towing.

The 2.0 is definitely the way of the future and more refined. But man that 5 cylinder sound
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 AWD
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    The 2.0 will change gears more often as the peak torque band is narrower than 3.2. That's why it has 10 gears after all. From reviews ive read the fuel consumption is not that much lower than 3.2, especially when towing.

The 2.0 is definitely the way of the future and more refined. But man that 5 cylinder sound
    I fully agree with you. As far as I know gears 8, 9 and 10 are overdrive gears and rather meant for economy. So you will see a lot of gear changes when towing in those gears.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

I drive the Biturbo Wildtrack. This box does not hunt at all. You have the option of selecting exactly how many gears you want by tapping the +- button. So if you want to make it a 7 speed box while towing you can.
    The Aussie videos I’ve watched actually prefer the biturbo for towing. The only negative they report and I also agree with, is that there is far less engine breaking on down hills than with the 3,2.
    Last edited by Fly340; 2020/03/16 at 08:41 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fly340 For This Useful Post:

I had a manual 3.2 XLT 6-spd.....could out drive the auto 6-spd up any hill. Replaced that with the Wildtrak 6-spd auto.....though I absolutely loved the bakkie, the gearbox needed to be shot. It was beyond crap. Slow and sluggish and no I don't hammer my vehicles. Took the new 2.0ltr Everest for a drive early Feb.....drives like a dream. Instant response where the 6-spd was lethargic. Obviously no towing was involved but both SWAMBO (she feels she "needs" it) and I loved it. Now to return home and get one......

2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Concerning yes, but a mitigation might be to always tow in S mode (I assume the Everest has it). No gearbox wants to tow at low rpm and hunting between gears will in all probability result and premature failures.
    Ditto! Waaaaaay too many clueless owners out there just doing what their gut says to do and not as per common sense or what the owners manual prescribes by towing in S.
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec
    ex 1998 Toyota Conquest RSi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rambo7 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Everest - 3.2 or 2.0BiT

I tow a Jurgens Exclusive with my Raptor and it tows really well. I know it is not the Everest but the engine and gearbox is almost the same, if not. I used the sport function that holds the gears longer, this effectively made it an 8 speed and occasionally using the 9th. It worked in normal mode, but I felt the revs were too low for the speed and the big weight in tow.

I enjoyed the engine gearbox much more than I did my previous 3.2 autos (Rangers & Everestís)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JaquesK For This Useful Post: