Inverter cutting out powering fridge - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Inverter cutting out powering fridge

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    ... They should 1st be charged before you try a load test.
    I have never seen any battery place do this test below.. It would also take 6 hours or more to complete.

• If the Magic Eye ....
    Geez, I forgot to mention that the batteries MUST be fully charged!!!
    Nice catch!

What is a Magic Eye?
    Is it that little round "viewer" on some batteries? If so, it is misleading as it only displays one cells status. Another cell can be shorting and one is none the wiser.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right.

My way of thinking will be the bat are either not charged well or on the blink. The moment the load is removed when it cuts out the bat volts go up to what you read as over 12V. You need to measure the volts up to the point that it cuts out. If you restart your inverter after cut out you might find is won't start due to low volts or will start and cut out within seconds.
    My method of observing the volts is with a camera APP that takes a picture like every minute so you don't have to watch it all the time. Videos take too much space to save and some have a max time like 3min or 5min.
    My experience as well with garage door openers I powered from a UPS, batteries were on the way out, because they were not charged enough, or draw down was too much. Unfortunately when I then reset the UPS, one of the door opener motors lost its control electronics due to too low voltage. Was old anyway (these days openers have their own back-up batteries), so just replaced opener altogether. But due to this low-V risks, will not connect to the UPS again, only Eskom. UPS still runs security cameras and gate opener anyway.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paddo View Post
    Could I add 2 car batteries with different specs to the system just to see if it solves the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Yes, to test.
    AFAIK adding 2 sound batteries to 2 dead batteries are just going to discharge the good batteries. Rather use the 2 car batteries alone on the inverter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
    My experience as well with garage door openers I powered from a UPS, batteries were on the way out, because they were not charged enough, or draw down was too much. Unfortunately when I then reset the UPS, one of the door opener motors lost its control electronics due to too low voltage. UPS still runs security cameras and gate opener anyway.
    As the batteries need to supply up to 2000W for a second when the compressor kicks in they have to be in good condition. The fact that they lasted 1 hour on the inverter shows they can still me used for a lower current. Their capacity is down to below 15Ah by keeping the fridge going for only 1 hour. Actually most inverters cut out at 10.5V while yours worked until 9.4V per battery.

I have some Li-Ion that are being used in torches/camping light for 8 years since they could not power my laptop. Thus drawing 0.4A they are still good for the application but useless if they had to provide 4A.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/03/18 at 09:37 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Also try to 'refresh'/'desulphinate' the batteries individually with an intelligent charger. It may sort out your problem for a while. Otherwise it's no good flogging a dead horse.
    You did not mention the history of the batteries or brand/make/model. Also, how were they maintained since installing them.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Subok View Post
    Also try to 'refresh'/'desulphinate' the batteries individually with an intelligent charger.
    Good advice.
    It may sort out your problem for a while. Otherwise it's no good flogging a dead horse. Agree
    You did not mention the history of the batteries or brand/make/model. Also, how were they maintained since installing them.
    OP did provide this information "This is connected to two 90AH Discover Mixtech batteries."
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/03/18 at 09:41 PM.

What stumps me is that these batteries are only about 6 months old and shouldn't have been damaged by the fridge during the regular 2 hours of recent loadshedding. Charging is set to 10amp.

2008 X-Trail ->
    2006 D3 V8 ->
    2013 Amarok Auto

What stumps me is that these batteries are only about 6 months old and shouldn't have been damaged by the fridge during the regular 2 hours of recent loadshedding. Charging is set to 10amp.
    Could just be a dud, maybe even a warranty claim.

Charge them first as Ekkekan reminded us, have them tested.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I will get them tested asap.

2008 X-Trail ->
    2006 D3 V8 ->
    2013 Amarok Auto

We often read about using starting batteries on inverters. This SA company do test if the bat has been discharged more than 20% and no claim if you did so more than 365 cycles as in their conditions below:
    THIS WARRANTY IS VOID IF FAILURE HAS RESULTED FROM ANY OF THE BELOW:
    Improper Charging: Evident in premature plate distortion and/or plate paste deterioration
    Defective/Irregular Charging Voltage Regulation, Improper Use/Misapplication: Including incorrect over or under charging or accident
    Failure To keep the battery properly charged or maintained: Evident in plate sulphation
    Cycling at depths of discharge in excess of 20% of nominal capacity of the battery for more than 365 cycles:
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/03/18 at 10:08 PM.

Cycling at depths of discharge in excess of 20% of nominal capacity of the battery for more than 365 cycles:
    I wonder how one would be able to check the SOC / DOD as accurately as possible!?

(sorry, but that just slipped out!)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Geez, I forgot to mention that the batteries MUST be fully charged!!!
    Nice catch!

What is a Magic Eye?
    Is it that little round "viewer" on some batteries? If so, it is misleading as it only displays one cells status. Another cell can be shorting and one is none the wiser.
    The indicator wont help with faulty cell/s, but it is an excellent indicator for battery state.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The indicator wont help with faulty cell/s, but it is an excellent indicator for battery state.
    Stopped counting the people who told me: "But the thingy shows green!?" ... yet the battery cannot power the load.

Unless the cell under the Magic Eye shows a problem, it is a foefie.
    If they had a Magic Eye per cell, THAT would have worked better.

The only way to test a questionable battery is with a load tester, by pulling some serious amps for a few seconds, watching for a voltage drop.

I got so gatvol testing batteries that after having burnt my finger (man that smells) touching a smoking hot pole on a battery that showed green, yet a cell was shorting, that I went out and bought a Hawkins load tester.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/03/18 at 11:35 PM.

In a perfect world.......
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Stopped counting the people who told me: "But the thingy shows green!?" ... yet the battery cannot power the load.
    I have seen many batteries showing green yet the whole bat could not even produce 4V and would not charge. Sometimes the button moves sideways and gets stuck. One bat place told me it happens a lot. Bat could be dry as just enough water is used in the maintenance free type to last about 3 years IF never over cycled or over charged. I just got an 5 year old SMF100 bat which charges full and good for about 15Ah yet the indicator shows dead. The voltage does drop quickly from 12.6 to about 11.8 under 4.5A load but then declines at a steady rate. With a dead cell it would normally drop to 10.8 under such load.

The only way to test a questionable battery is with a load tester, by pulling some serious amps for a few seconds, watching for a voltage drop.
    This is one of my favourites as a test. At least 4 bat of mine have been tested with a 10sec high current draw and it showed in good health. All 4 were 50Ah + yet during a 4-8A load test they could not produce 10Ah. All 4 were starting bat. Not good for testing capacity.

I got so gatvol testing batteries that after having burnt my finger (man that smells) touching a smoking hot pole on a battery that showed green, yet a cell was shorting, that I went out and bought a Hawkins load tester
    This is why I hate sealed bat. At times all the bat needs is water. No way of telling. These bat also prevents one from testing the SG which will clearly show when a cell is getting lazy long before it is DEAD. Measuring is knowing.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/03/19 at 12:30 AM.

I wonder how one would be able to check the SOC / DOD as accurately as possible!?

(sorry, but that just slipped out!)
    Urg urg uurrgggh urg urgggg urg B. M. V. Urgg urg uuurrggggg urggg 😁😁😁😁

I had the batteries tested today and they passed.
    They were tested with (amongst other meters) a 500 AMP Carbon Pile Load Tester by Battery Centre Plumstead (very helpful). If I remember right they both went up to 190Amps.

But that means I still don't know why the inverter is cutting out after a while as the voltage drops below 19v.

Maybe the answer is one of those Changi 3000W pure sine wave inverters?

2008 X-Trail ->
    2006 D3 V8 ->
    2013 Amarok Auto

I had the batteries tested today and they passed.
    Good, that is then ruled out, no more doubts.

You said you had two more batteries for testing. Why not wire all 4 up and test again with the fridge?

Because if that still fails, with 4 batteries, then we are at Fluffy's comment from earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Duty cycle on inverter most probable.
    If that turns out to be the case, what Fluffy said, me, I would rather get a 1.5kva or 3kva Axpert for the fridges. Axperts are GOOD UPS'es.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/03/19 at 07:48 PM.

Good, that is then ruled out, no more doubts.

You said you had two more batteries for testing. Why not wire all 4 up and test again with the fridge?

Because if that still fails, with 4 batteries, then we are at Fluffy's comment from earlier:

If that turns out to be the case, what Fluffy said, me, I would rather get a 1.5kva or 3kva Axpert for the fridges. Axperts are GOOD UPS'es.
    Here we have what I mentioned in post #35. The bat can supply high current for short periods during a test but are lacking capacity.
    No point in changing the inverter. It would be wasted money to buy a Axpert. When the bat are discharged to 9.5V and the inverter cuts off the bat is at 100% DOD. It's a pity it can only provide 1h of LS while only 6 months old.

I agree with the batteries lacking capacity,
    I notice from the PDF manual itís actually a 24V UPS
    I deal with 24volt UPS a lot and most cases itís one battery thatís dropping capacity ,
    We are in the same area, I can run a capacity test on each battery
    At least you know exactly whatís going on with each individual battery.
    Pm me if interested?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DirtBasher For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast