Advice for Botswana Trip in May 2021

Default Advice for Botswana Trip in May 2021

Hi Everyone,
    I am planning a trip to Botswana in May 2021 and would like some advice please. I will be driving my Disco4 towing an Afrispoor Cheetah off-road caravan. The other couple will have a hired 4X4 with RTT. We have traveled in Namibia & Botswana once only with the same setup in 2017 so limited experience. Essentially the trip will be a round trip stating and ending in Maun, although we will travel up from RSA (Underberg). The draft plan is:

Maun
    Moremi South Gate - 3 nights
    Xakanaxa - 5 nights
    Savuti - 5 nights
    Linyanti - ?
    Ihaha - 5 nights
    Hwange - 3 nights - Visit Vic Falls from here
    Elephant Sands - 3 nights - visit Nata Bird Sanctuary from here
    Kubu Island - 1 night
    Nxai Pans - 4 Nights
    Maun

I am looking for any advice on the following:

1. Is there any good reason to camp at 3rd Bridge en route to Xakanaxa? To me it seems better to go directly to Xakanaxa and spend the extra time there.
    2. Is the drive from Xakanaxa to Savuti too long (hours) to do in one day. Should we break it at say Khwai or Mabebe. (Note: our friends are from Scotland and not really accustomed to long drives)
    3. Linyanti. Is this worth fitting into the schedule? It seems the drive is difficult and maybe the area is similar to Ihaha?
    4. Camping in Hwange and travel up to Vic Falls. Is this a good option or is it better to go from Kasane before we head south from Ihaha.
    5. Nata Bird Sanctuary - is it worth a visit in late May.
    6. Nxai Pans - literature seems to indicate they are worth a few days - any comments?
    7. Savuti - which are the best camp sites ( I know that is a bit open ended)
    8. Ihaha - same any advice on camp sites?
    9. As a general question are our durations at the various campsites too long/too short. We can easily adjust

I understand bookings open in April (2020) so plan to start booking then.

Anything else?

My apologies for such a long and rambling post and questions

Default Re: Advice for Botswana Trip in May 2021

Hi Doug
    1. 3rd bridge is a much better option as opposed to South Gate,far more game
    2. Xakanaxa to Savuti can be done in a day however you don`t appear o be in a rush so stop over at North Gate
    3. We have just returned from Savuti, will def go back, al the sites facing the channel are big, ones further back more trees
    Use the Sand Ridge road
    4. Met two guys with Disco`s 4 and 5 with Conquerer trailers at Elephant Sands. They were stuck for 15 hours in the sand on the Linyanti road
    5. When you leave Savuti make sure you turn left at the gate, not straight on
    6.Muchenje has very nice/neat campsites for a stop over to Ihaha. Also a new Puma filling station next to it.
    7. There is not a lot of shade at Ihaha
    8. Get the T4A paper map and on your Gps
    Enjoy the planning and the trip
    1997 Defender 300Tdi pickup
    2009 Puma 90 (mine)
    2011 Puma 110 (swambo`s)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise one For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Advice for Botswana Trip in May 2021

Thanks for the advice - I think we will forget about Linyanti