Namibia border closed for leasure travel ??? Help needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Namibia border closed for leasure travel ??? Help needed

Dear Namibian forumites,

We are due to leave on month long visit to Namibia departing tomorrow. I have read on FB that the Namibian President has declared a State of Emergency (Covid-19) and all leasure travel has been suspended for 30 days.

Can anybody confirm this or is it fake news?

PLEASE HELP
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Default Re: Namibia border closed for leasure travel ??? Help needed

Under the "first confirmed case ... " thread in this Nam section is a post giving details of their ban.

So I think it is genuine news.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

I noticed it and commented but need it confirmed by Namibian member please
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

ADDITIONAL MEASURES TO PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE TO COVID-19 OUTBREAK

That Cabinet approve the following additional measures to be instituted by the Government to curtail the spread of the COVID-19:

Points of Entry
    1. Suspension of the issuance of visa on arrival at the Hosea Kutako International Airport and implementation travel ban of foreign nationals (by air and sea) from affected countries, namely Schengen States, China, Iran, Korea, United Kingdom, United States of America and Japan. The travel ban to be reviewed regularly.

2. A temporary travel suspension for 30 days for Namibians or Permanent Residents functionaries except for special cases with prior authorization with Ministry of Health and Social Services and Home Affairs and Immigration. Exceptional cases will include, persons seeking medical treatment, essential services like humanitarian assistance, truck drivers bringing food and other essential commodities, Namibians returning among others. Compulsory screening will be conducted for verification and quarantine imposed were necessary;

3. All leisure, business and social travel like tourists is suspended, and Namibians who are residents in other countries considering to visit Namibia to postpone such visits;
    4. In order to facilitate work, international meetings, should either be attended by officials from our missions abroad or participation through video/teleconferencing.
    5. Direct that all international scheduled flights, private chartered flights to only land at Hosea Kutako International and Walvis Bay International Airports;

6. All scheduled passenger flights, including private chartered flights to and from countries where there is active local transmission be temporarily suspended for 30 days with immediate effect. This suspension is exclusive of cargo and emergency flights to and from Namibia;

7. Conduct strict disinfection of aircrafts and training of airport staff on infection prevention and control and provision of appropriate PPE;

8. Mandatory screening for COVID-19 to be conducted at all Points of Entry in the country. Thermo guns to be placed at all checkpoints and roadblocks for screening inland travelers;

9. All returning Namibians and permanent residents arriving from countries at high risk or from affected other countries will be subject to supervised self- quarantine from 14 days (self-quarantine for mild/asymptomatic persons); and

10. South African Borders, including Air Travel to remain open to serve as points of entry for Namibians returning home and exit point for visitors from Namibia, and to facilitate trade between the two countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post
    Dear Namibian forumites,

We are due to leave on month long visit to Namibia departing tomorrow. I have read on FB that the Namibian President has declared a State of Emergency (Covid-19) and all leasure travel has been suspended for 30 days.
    Can anybody confirm this or is it fake news?
    PLEASE HELP
    Sorry for you guys, but the declaration is clear: all tourist travel inside the country has been banned/suspended. Bummer.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Maybe I am dof…. but pse explain in gewone taal vir my.
    Travel suspension for Namibians ,
    Is it applicable if I leave Namibia to travel on holiday .?.
    If I cannot travel to Swakop then I will not be happy.

A temporary travel suspension for 30 days for Namibians or Permanent Residents functionaries except for special cases with prior authorization with Ministry of Health and Social Services and Home Affairs and Immigration. Exceptional cases will include, persons seeking medical treatment, essential services like humanitarian assistance, truck drivers bringing food and other essential commodities, Namibians returning among others. Compulsory screening will be conducted for verification and quarantine imposed were necessary;

Edit . the travel ban is only applicable if you leave Namibia or enter.

Last edited by janseekat; 2020/03/18 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    If I cannot travel to Swakop then I will not be happy.
    Lots of people are going to be unhappy.

...but the citizens of the country count more than individual's unhappiness.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    ADDITIONAL MEASURES TO PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE TO COVID-19 OUTBREAK

That Cabinet approve the following additional measures to be instituted by the Government to curtail the spread of the COVID-19:

3. All leisure, business and social travel like tourists is suspended, and Namibians who are residents in other countries considering to visit Namibia to postpone such visits;
    4. In order to facilitate work, international meetings, should either be attended by officials from our missions abroad or participation through video/teleconferencing.
    5. Direct that all international scheduled flights, private chartered flights to only land at Hosea Kutako International and Walvis Bay International Airports;

10. South African Borders, including Air Travel to remain open to serve as points of entry for Namibians returning home and exit point for visitors from Namibia, and to facilitate trade between the two countries.
    We have bookings in Kgalagadi
    - SA side from 21-23 March
    - and Botswana side from 24-27 March

The above obviously interfere with our Botswana side leg. We do have telephone numbers of officials on SA and Bots side in Kgalagadi to clarify if we will be able to cross the Nossob river when we enter at 2Rivers AND exit at 2Rivers
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    We have bookings in Kgalagadi
    - SA side from 21-23 March
    - and Botswana side from 24-27 March

The above obviously interfere with our Botswana side leg. We do have telephone numbers of officials on SA and Bots side in Kgalagadi to clarify if we will be able to cross the Nossob river when we enter at 2Rivers AND exit at 2Rivers
    If you enter and exit via TR you don't need a passport stamp and you will not be affected nor will your movement within the park be restricted. Only the customs counter in TR is closed not the gate. For now at least.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/03/18 at 07:59 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

The way to go! Name:  Studio_20200318_105113.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  47.7 KB
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Effectively Vioolsdrift is now also closed due to the closure of Noordoewer (and all other Namibian ports of entry). It remains open for Nam citizens,to travel back to Namibia, SA citizens to return home and for commercial purposes.
    Last edited by George; 2020/03/18 at 11:03 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Global trend seems to be to shut down the borders, initially to non citizens but I think this will be extended to citizens. For instance Irish citizens are being advised to get back by to Ireland by Thursday night if they want to get back, this seems to indicate the next phase. This pandemic is only warming up, in a few weeks time many places will be like Italy where they are not resuscitating people who would have been clear candidates for resuscitation a week ago. In Paris citizens need permits to go to the shops. I think what I'm saying is that even if a border were open you'd have to be prepared to be stuck on the other side for an unknown period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by B Murr View Post
    Global trend seems to be to shut down the borders, initially to non citizens but I think this will be extended to citizens. For instance Irish citizens are being advised to get back by to Ireland by Thursday night if they want to get back, this seems to indicate the next phase. This pandemic is only warming up, in a few weeks time many places will be like Italy where they are not resuscitating people who would have been clear candidates for resuscitation a week ago. In Paris citizens need permits to go to the shops. I think what I'm saying is that even if a border were open you'd have to be prepared to be stuck on the other side for an unknown period of time.
    Yup, Australia is also advising its citizens to get home. Total shutdown has only just begun.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Urgent info needed
    what is the borderpost's name that joins upington's main road to namibia (i think to keetmanshope), and does anyone know if this is open for europeen travellers travelling back to sa, as their booked flight back home in europe is from or tambo, as they have to get back urgently before all borders close.
    Should anyone have the borders telnr. Please forward to me at 0825524567 rudy, as to contact the border myself.
    My friend will be driving back tomorrow afternoon from windhoek, to get to sa
    tx in advance.

The borders name is Ariamsvlei.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Not sure if this no is still applicable. +26463280057 Nambia side
    +27545710013 RSA side

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Thanks Irwin
    Border is open for in this case, Tcheck Republic citizen leaving Namibia to SA.
    Correct telnr for Nakop, SA side border name +27 (0) 545710008 Just spoke to them on the phone.
    Last edited by Rudy Roodbol; 2020/03/18 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks shall update on my side for the future

Ariamsvlei and Noordoewer are both open for people leaving according to the Namibian proclamation. Closed for entry from South Africa, except for trucks carrying essential goods and returning citizens. South Africa has closed the smaller border posts - Onseepkans, Sendelingsdrif, Alexander Bay, Rietfontein.
    EDITED: To correct Sendelingsdrif (ie NOT Vioolsdrif).
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2020/03/19 at 03:20 PM.
    Tony Weaver

Why can I not see any of these "Measures approved by Namibian Cabinet or Government" on any of their official websites or portals? Please direct me to the correct site where the announcement was made by the government official. Thanks
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast