Solar panel and camping fridge - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Solar panel and camping fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Weeroll View Post
    I have a 100W solar panel that shows MAXIMUM SERIES FUSE 10A. My charge controller is 20A. This will be plugged into my NL power boxes grey plug. Will this be ok?
    Yes that should work fine as the grey plugs are connected to the battery.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

I will definately keep the battery as a capacitor and to keep the voltage in check.

My concern is that the start-up amps required to get that motor to kick the compressor over the first compression stroke could be more than what the panel can deliver, hence the need for the battery. I say this because I wanted to run a 220 volt fridge from a 650 watt generator. Theoretically there was no reason why not, but that fridge initially called for more than double its running amps to get things going, therfore it refused to start up although the genny delivered more than the running amps for the compressor.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Snomaster freezers have a soft startup. Not sure of other brands

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    I will definately keep the battery as a capacitor and to keep the voltage in check.

I say this because I wanted to run a 220 volt fridge from a 650 watt generator. Theoretically there was no reason why not, but that fridge initially called for more than double its running amps to get things going, therfore it refused to start up although the genny delivered more than the running amps for the compressor.
    No use comparing AC with DC. DC motors have a lot more torque when starting and do not draw as much amps at startup. A 220V fridge can need up to 10 times the full load current to start even if only for 3 sec the genny or battery via inverter must be able to supply it.

A 120W 220V fridge of about 200L can use as much as 1400-1800W for the first few seconds. Even after 10sec it could still be drawing about 300W before dropping over the next 10 min.

DC gate motors tend to use about 3 times the running amps to get started without a soft starter.

Due to the high start torque for DC motors is the reason why electric vehicles have a blistering pull away.

Never too old to learn! Thanks.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2