Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please. - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    41
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Have the air springs (assc) on my Prado for 8 years, no issues. T-d the bags on one inflation line to inside the fuel filler cap. Works easy and would do it the same 10000 times...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ducktape For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,620
    Thanked: 192

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    A tip I picked up from an USA site said to inflate first, then hook up or load and then deflate to level. I find this works very well for me.
    Spot on. You want to inflate to fill out and support the springs and then load.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckzoo For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Kidd's Beach
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Hi all. I am new at this and still trying to find out all the in and outs. I took a EFI 2004 and cut it up making a king cab and lengthened the chassis to take a bosluis 2. The weight worried me as no leaf springs. Eventually air bags from airbag man Australia was purchased. It came with it's own compressor installed behind passenger seat as well a remote which I can adjust air pressure individually from inside the cab. We felt that we should go this route as rather over kill than having to do a conversion at a later stage. The bag is similar to the air bags one sees on the suspension of the big tipper trailers. We waited 3 weeks for delivery . I was very intrested to hear that when empty or not towing you let down the pressure. I drove the cruiser down from jhb to paarl at a low pressure and genuinely it felt like I was driving in the 200vx. So without a weight it was very comfortable. I am hoping this will with the weight of the bosluis ensure I get the same comfortable drive. Time will tell. What is the ideal pressure when towing. Do these differ from tar to gravel. Sorry for ignorance but any information will be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    63
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Dankie vir al die advies. Ek het sopas my Fortuner terug gekry van Winelands4x4 Outdoor Centre hier in Somerset Wes. Hulle het vir my 'n "Air Lift Kit with bellows" in my coil springs ingesit. Nou moet ek net 21 dae wag voor ek hulle moontlik kan gaan toets!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200326_115959.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	563318

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to ockert For This Useful Post:


  8. #25
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    60
    Posts
    128
    Thanked: 40

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Koste Ockert?

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    657
    Thanked: 370

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Quote Originally Posted by ockert View Post
    Dankie vir al die advies. Ek het sopas my Fortuner terug gekry van Winelands4x4 Outdoor Centre hier in Somerset Wes. Hulle het vir my 'n "Air Lift Kit with bellows" in my coil springs ingesit. Nou moet ek net 21 dae wag voor ek hulle moontlik kan gaan toets!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200326_115959.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	563318
    Lekker Ockert, daai is netjies!! Jy sal nie spyt wees nie!

    Onthou net, respekteer die max pressure, en pomp hulle VOOR jy haak. Jou neus sal nogsteeds bietjie lig, maar die Fortuner se gat voel baie meer stabiel en ry baie lekkerder wanneer jy sleep. Ek gebruik n kombinasie van agterwiele harder as normaal en die airbags, maar bygesÍ, my Fortuner was swaar agter met extras en battery en yskas ens ens.

    Laat ons weet "Post Cornona" hoe dit voel.

    Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!




  10. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    657
    Thanked: 370

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Khakibush View Post
    Hi all. I am new at this and still trying to find out all the in and outs. I took a EFI 2004 and cut it up making a king cab and lengthened the chassis to take a bosluis 2. The weight worried me as no leaf springs. Eventually air bags from airbag man Australia was purchased. It came with it's own compressor installed behind passenger seat as well a remote which I can adjust air pressure individually from inside the cab. We felt that we should go this route as rather over kill than having to do a conversion at a later stage. The bag is similar to the air bags one sees on the suspension of the big tipper trailers. We waited 3 weeks for delivery . I was very intrested to hear that when empty or not towing you let down the pressure. I drove the cruiser down from jhb to paarl at a low pressure and genuinely it felt like I was driving in the 200vx. So without a weight it was very comfortable. I am hoping this will with the weight of the bosluis ensure I get the same comfortable drive. Time will tell. What is the ideal pressure when towing. Do these differ from tar to gravel. Sorry for ignorance but any information will be much appreciated.
    Hallo Kakibush,

    I assume the Bosluis will be fixed on there permamently? If so, you are going to have to keep some pressure in those bags. I would say the following... calculate more or less what the extra weight of the Bosluis is after you subtract the parts removed from the cruiser. If it is like 30% more than a standard cruiser, I would add 30% of the max pressure FULL-TIME.

    Then when you load the Bosluis max for a trip, incl water, food, clothes etc etc... Pump the bags 70-100% of their max and see what she feels/looks like.

    I would only adjust tyres for Tar/Gravel, the air helpers are for your new load, and act as strong coil or leaf spring.

    You are going to have to experiment.

    my 2cw.

    Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!




  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumbles For This Useful Post:


  12. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    63
    Posts
    76
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    Koste Ockert?
    Hallo Chris, dit was R5610.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ockert For This Useful Post:


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,360
    Thanked: 857

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Ockert,

    Die helpers in die eerste prentjie is vir gebruik in Coils springs, die tweede een word slegs vir bladvere gebruik.

    My eerste stel in my Terrano ge-installeer (coils). die Terrano met die treiler aan het op sy bumpstops gery, na die lugsakke,
    kon ek hom mooi perfek gelyk kry as ek getou het. Na 13 jaar het ek die Terrano met die lugsakke in verkoop

    Tweede stel al ses jaar in my Pathfinder (coils), geen probleme.

    Derde stel at 15 maande atger in my Patrol (coils), geen probleme.

    Sonder vrag, pomp ek hulle .25 bar, met vrag, afhangende van die gewig....

    Gaan kyk hier oor wat en waar...... https://assc.co.za/recreational-vehicles/
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/03/27 at 10:47 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,360
    Thanked: 857

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Jammer, sien nou eers jou installasie is reeds gedoen. Geniet die "lekker ry"....
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  16. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,314
    Thanked: 789

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Quote Originally Posted by ockert View Post
    Dankie vir al die advies. Ek het sopas my Fortuner terug gekry van Winelands4x4 Outdoor Centre hier in Somerset Wes. Hulle het vir my 'n "Air Lift Kit with bellows" in my coil springs ingesit. Nou moet ek net 21 dae wag voor ek hulle moontlik kan gaan toets!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200326_115959.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	563318
    My tyre monitor can take 6 sensors, 2 of them sits on that valves of the airbags.
    Johan Kriel

    LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Kidd's Beach
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
    Hallo Kakibush,

    I assume the Bosluis will be fixed on there permamently? If so, you are going to have to keep some pressure in those bags. I would say the following... calculate more or less what the extra weight of the Bosluis is after you subtract the parts removed from the cruiser. If it is like 30% more than a standard cruiser, I would add 30% of the max pressure FULL-TIME.

    Then when you load the Bosluis max for a trip, incl water, food, clothes etc etc... Pump the bags 70-100% of their max and see what she feels/looks like.

    I would only adjust tyres for Tar/Gravel, the air helpers are for your new load, and act as strong coil or leaf spring.

    You are going to have to experiment.

    my 2cw.

    Grumbles

  18. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Kidd's Beach
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Hi Grumbles. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to test this out. Unfortunately all production at BL has stopped. I wish I had the vehicle with me as I would like to start stripping and doing g a bit of DIY. It is what it is. I will certainly take up your advice. The bosluis is a permanent feature. I have put in an extra petrol tank taking my total capacity up to 263lt which makes up the 200kg stripped off the body. So I suppose it's the weight of the bosluis and extras. I appreciate your intrest.

  19. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    657
    Thanked: 370

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Khakibush View Post
    Hi Grumbles. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to test this out. Unfortunately all production at BL has stopped. I wish I had the vehicle with me as I would like to start stripping and doing g a bit of DIY. It is what it is. I will certainly take up your advice. The bosluis is a permanent feature. I have put in an extra petrol tank taking my total capacity up to 263lt which makes up the 200kg stripped off the body. So I suppose it's the weight of the bosluis and extras. I appreciate your intrest.
    No worries.

    In that case start with 50% max pressure with empty Bosluis and full fuel. See what she drives like. Then loaded with everything incl the SWAMBO, go to 100% max pressure, drive, and reduce if required.

    Ja its bad that you have no production and can not even tinker with the Cruiser itself!

    Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!




  20. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Kidd's Beach
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Hi Grumbles. This has all got me thinking. When not using my tipper trailers for 6 months or more I generally Jack the wheels off the ground and have logs under to take the weight off the wheels and suspension. Would this apply to these air bags?

  21. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    657
    Thanked: 370

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    I would not know, I think as long as you leave some air in them, because of the weight, they would be fine.

    Maybe call Air Spring Supply Company and see what they reccommend (if they are open).

    The airbags (as I understand it) do not take the weight if they are not inflated, that is the job of the coils or leaf springs obviously. However, as soon as you load and the suspension compresses, the inflation will then push it back up and help take the weight.

    Guess its not a bad idea to lift the entire chassis if its going to stand so that long.
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!




  22. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Kidd's Beach
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Hi Grunmble. That's the beauty of this set no coil or spring just the additional OME shock . It was done by Balies. I cannot take a pic obviously but it seemed an innovative suspension. Cost enough.

  23. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    657
    Thanked: 370

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    I see, was under the impression it was an air helper only.

    Thats a whole different setup, and one would think those bladders need air in them all the time then.
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!




  24. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Kidd's Beach
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Adjustable air helper kits / Air springs advice please.

    Hi Grumbles. Now that I have been a slight bit more enlightened I did a bit of digging. It is a coil replacement airbag. Check out their site.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Khakibush For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •