Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Windhoek Gardens Hotel refusing to return money

Has anyone any experience with Windhoek Gardens Guest House, 31 Pasteur Street, Windhoek, Namibia? Or know the owners?

We had booked two nights through booking dot com with them in May, it was weird in the first place as it said it was free to cancel up until the last minute but they took the entire $300 out immediately which never usually happens on booking dot com.

three weeks ago sadly we had to cancel our trip. They said they would pay it back that week, then the next week, then the next week still nothing. now they are saying they wont be able to pay us back because they are shut down. But they are not.

I am only getting responses from someone called Fagma and feel completely ripped off.

Anyone any suggestions or dealings with them? Is this just our unfortunate incident or something they do a lot?

Really weird, we have travelled all over the world and never had this kind of problem before through booking dot com, we use them for protection from this, but clearly it has been allowed to occur. There is no real support from booking dot com either unfortunately.

any suggestions appreciated

Default Re: Windhoek Gardens Hotel refusing to return money

Lots of establishments have or will be closing down in the recent future. The industry has basically been turned off. Not advisable to make any accommodation booking until this dilemma is over.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip72 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philip72 View Post
    Lots of establishments have or will be closing down in the recent future. The industry has basically been turned off. Not advisable to make any accommodation booking until this dilemma is over.
    Is this due to the coronavirus I assume? even so, they had three weeks to do this I didnt think Africa had any infections even now. They are using this as an excuse well after the fact.
    Last edited by mdkb; 2020/03/16 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdkb View Post
    Is this due to the coronavirus I assume? even so, they had three weeks to do this I didnt think Africa had any infections even now. They are using this as an excuse well after the fact.
    Read the papers, watch international news channels, check the interwebs, catch a wake-up...
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    Read the papers, watch international news channels, check the interwebs, catch a wake-up...
    yea thanks for your help. tbh life has been better avoiding all those things 99% of the time. but yea, obviously this is the 1% moment to buy into the media.
    Last edited by mdkb; 2020/03/16 at 11:31 PM.

You did the reservation through booking dot com. Certainly you would have to do the cancellation through that service, too? If I remember correctly, their refund procedure is a bit time consuming. But you can also lodge a claim with booking dot com that you have been charged incorrectly.
    Unless you made the booking directly with that hotel, you should communicate with whomever you have done the booking, in this case booking dot com.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

yea thanks for your help. tbh life has been better avoiding all those things 99% of the time. but yea, obviously this is the 1% moment to buy into the media.
    WTF? So you ignore bad news because it gives you a negative vibe?

Check the infections, mate:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Were you planning on trying to travel?

You know all the SADC countries are closing borders and banning travel?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

And the keyboard worriers are in full swing.
    The guy is asking for some advice.And then the guy that sits from early morning EVERY day comes up with his stupid comment.

Maybe just try and give the guy advise.There is a lot of turmoil and chaos at the moment.Ill bet some companies and establishments are using the virus to their advantage.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    2000 Prado 90 KZTE SWB.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LC Man For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LC Man View Post
    The guy is asking for some advice.And then the guy that sits from early morning EVERY day comes up with his stupid comment.

Maybe just try and give the guy advise.There is a lot of turmoil and chaos at the moment.Ill bet some companies and establishments are using the virus to their advantage.
    1) I provided a contamination tracker
    2) I indicated that the SADC members are closing borders

Show me YOUR value add?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

If you used booking.com then you should do the cancellation via them as well as far as I remember. They do not pass your card details on, but does the billing on behalf of the place you booked at.

If you don't get any joy from dealing with the person answering the phone - consider a review on booking.com or using this link for a Google review:

https://www.google.com/search?client...HOTEL+WINDHOEK

Try and jot down names and times/dates of contacting them - as well as method of contacting them.

Quote Originally Posted by LC Man View Post

You see 08:28 as early morning?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Default Windhoek Gardens Hotel refusing to return money

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    If you used booking.com then you should do the cancellation via them as well as far as I remember. They do not pass your card details on, but does the billing on behalf of the place you booked at.
    Sometimes they do pass on your cc details to the establishment, sometimes you only pay on arrival, it all depends on whatever relationship has been agreed upon between hotels and b dot com. Every time you make a booking they seem quite clear, to me anyway, what the various conditions are.

Just last week we decided to finally book a very quick ski vacation in Austria, €280 for 3 nights, 100% non-refundable paid upfront, when things were still open. Then things suddenly closed down, so we jumped on the phone with the Dutch chalet company who (thankfully) manually rejected the cc transaction when they didn't have to, as per the T's & C's.

Point is booking dot com had passed on my cc details to the establishment who then had to manually accept the booking, but in our case they didn't, at our request, just in time. If we had waited longer or done nothing, they probably would have confirmed the booking and charged my card and then it might have been more difficult to cancel with a refund, if at all. We actually have had no further contact with b dot com, the booking has now been switched to 'cancelled' status, not having been charged one red cent when b .com said there would be a 100% cancellation charge if we initiated the cancellation through b .com

I know, we took a risk, being prepared to write it off, should things go the way they now have, but we got lucky this time. I also don't think too many hotels, booking dot com, etc were prepared for this, so we might want to allow them some grace. Try imagine yourself as a business owner right now, if you aren't already one.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/03/17 at 01:54 PM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

if you paid by credit card just phone the card issuer and ask them to reverse the charge.

as a national disaster has been declared, "force majure" clause can be declared and refund policies are more less moot.

as a hospitality establishment, we don't deal with Booking.com anymore because they are useless. We deal with expedia which is much better.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post

as a national disaster has been declared, "force majure" clause can be declared and refund policies are more less moot.
    Yeah...no. That won't help you much.
    Quite a few accomodation establishments are still pushing for their cancellation fees.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

I've just postponed a wedding
    I asked all of the service providers to hold my deposits and clear the date
    Every single one of them has confirmed that there will be no penalties or extra charges when I book again.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post

as a hospitality establishment, we don't deal with Booking.com anymore because they are useless. .
    Can't be worse than Safari.Nowhere.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Sometimes they do pass on your cc details to the establishment, sometimes you only pay on arrival, it all depends on whatever relationship has been agreed upon between hotels and b dot com. Every time you make a booking they seem quite clear, to me anyway, what the various conditions are.

Just last week we decided to finally book a very quick ski vacation in Austria, €280 for 3 nights, 100% non-refundable paid upfront, when things were still open. Then things suddenly closed down, so we jumped on the phone with the Dutch chalet company who (thankfully) manually rejected the cc transaction when they didn't have to, as per the T's & C's.

Point is booking dot com had passed on my cc details to the establishment who then had to manually accept the booking, but in our case they didn't, at our request, just in time. If we had waited longer or done nothing, they probably would have confirmed the booking and charged my card and then it might have been more difficult to cancel with a refund, if at all. We actually have had no further contact with b dot com, the booking has now been switched to 'cancelled' status, not having been charged one red cent when b .com said there would be a 100% cancellation charge if we initiated the cancellation through b .com

I know, we took a risk, being prepared to write it off, should things go the way they now have, but we got lucky this time. I also don't think too many hotels, booking dot com, etc were prepared for this, so we might want to allow them some grace. Try imagine yourself as a business owner right now, if you aren't already one.
    Just to be clear, last week you decided to travel to Austria amid the Corona crisis?
    “A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.”

Luka Geertsema

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Just to be clear, last week you decided to travel to Austria amid the Corona crisis?
    Just to be clear, I was half expecting such a question, but because there is a bit of a shi# storm blowing around the world right now I wasn’t able to share my full story. But seeing as you asked, I will be responding later when I get my hands back on my laptop, with full size keyboard. Responding from an iPhone SE right now is not really feasible, and it’s going to give me time to choose my words, very carefully.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Has anyone any experience with Windhoek Gardens Guest House, 31 Pasteur Street, Windhoek, Namibia? Or know the owners?

We had booked two nights through booking dot com with them in May, it was weird in the first place as it said it was free to cancel up until the last minute but they took the entire $300 out immediately which never usually happens on booking dot com.

three weeks ago sadly we had to cancel our trip. They said they would pay it back that week, then the next week, then the next week still nothing. now they are saying they wont be able to pay us back because they are shut down. But they are not.

I am only getting responses from someone called Fagma and feel completely ripped off.

Anyone any suggestions or dealings with them? Is this just our unfortunate incident or something they do a lot?

Really weird, we have travelled all over the world and never had this kind of problem before through booking dot com, we use them for protection from this, but clearly it has been allowed to occur. There is no real support from booking dot com either unfortunately.

any suggestions appreciated
    I am in the industry. If you book through booking.com then your issue is with booking.com. If you booked direct with the hotel then your issue would be with the hotel. You can't have it both ways.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast