Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Windhoek Gardens Hotel refusing to return money

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    I've just postponed a wedding
    I asked all of the service providers to hold my deposits and clear the date
    Every single one of them has confirmed that there will be no penalties or extra charges when I book again.
    Damn - thought you had a lucky escape there, Rob.....
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Just to be clear, last week you decided to travel to Austria amid the Corona crisis?
    Ok, so I've done some thinking about how to respond to this, while having a braai under official lockdown (see 'It Are Time') I'm actually still not sure I want to get into this and would have preferred to enjoy said braai without this hanging over my head, but then again, I think it does have some relevance to this thread, ie: booking and subsequently cancelling with b .com under various circumstances.

Thing is, when we booked, things had only just started, in Italy. The days are kind of blurring into one another right now, but it was definitely not 'amid the Corona crisis'. We were keeping an eye on the resorts website as well as that of Austrian tourism, particularly Tyrol. All resorts, and borders in Austria were still open. In fact all Euro borders were still open. Think about it, would you just drop everything and hunker down in your bunker amid piles of toilet paper when someone sneezes in another country far away? This resort has 68 lifts and over 200km of groomed pistes, never mind off piste, so people are very spread out, even in season, but it was lower season, at least until Easter, so the crowds were already very thin. This would also not have been our first trip to this resort, so we know it. How then could such a trip be seen as irresponsible?

If we had to book and try go right now, that would be just plain dumb, given that the all the resorts are in fact closed, and there are big guys with big guns at the borders who will stop anyone who tries, no jokes.

You know what, I might as well go all in....

In December Swambo and I were on our way to work a ski season in the French Pyrenees, we were really looking forward to spending some time on the slopes doing what we love while hosting groups in a very plush high end ski chalet. We had loaded the Fiesta up with our gear and were halfway there when the phone rings. Swambo's mum is in hospital, the cancer is back....we continue, but a matter of days after we get there, and while we are busy hosting our first group, the owner agreed that we should go back to Belgium. He very kindly paid us out the short time we were there, and also said we are welcome back anytime, despite the fact that we were contracted to work the entire season, and we drove back the 1300km in one go.

We go to the hospital the very next day, after a monster drive and with just a few hours sleep. This was 6 January. Swambo then proceeds to sit by her mothers bedside, every day, from 11am till 8pm, until 20 Feb, when she then watched her mother take her final breath.

So after the proceedings we decided we could really use a bit of a break, just a little one, after what we had just been though. The problem was Corona was only just getting started, and like I said, we took a calculated risk, trying our best to consider everything.

So please, tell me, what would you do in our position?
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/03/17 at 10:18 PM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your response, and accept my sympathy.
    A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.

Luka Geertsema

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Thank you for your response, and accept my sympathy.
    Oh, it was also supposed to be a trip for our 10th wedding anniversary, which was on Friday the 13th....

Quite frankly they could have kept our €280 and we would not have batted an eyelid. We will be booking with them again either way.

What a year so far.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/03/17 at 10:11 PM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    I am in the industry. If you book through booking.com then your issue is with booking.com. If you booked direct with the hotel then your issue would be with the hotel. You can't have it both ways.
    we booked with booking dot com, it was very clear we could cancel up til 17th May. for a date that was 19th May and a later date in June on the end of our trip. there was no mention of deposits or money being taken out before hand.

the entire amount was taken in full from the card immediately. not even a deposit. the entire amount.

77 days to go, and we cancel the trip. the hotel responds to emails saying they will pay us in a few days. this goes on for three weeks. then the CV19 hits and they say in the next email that they are shut down.

during this time we contacted booking dot com. they said we need to contact and resolve it with the hotel.

we are clearly going to have to deal with booking dot com anyway now, and given they can use the crisis as an excuse just like the hotel, I dont expect much hope, but hope it serves to warn others if nothing else.

thanks everyone for all your help. and good luck all, hopefully this thing will blow over and we can visit Africa in a few years instead. only down about 10 grand in cancelling this trip

You actually have to try pushing booking.com for this. Even with the corona story cancelling more than two months in advance should not be a problem. Try contacting HAN and see if they will help.

https://www.hannamibia.com/
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Surely with all tourist travel now being cancelled in NAM, there should be an alternative outcome to this?

I have a similar issue with Nam and Bots Bookings. Some are very accomodating and return the fees. Some are just plain ignorant and refuse giving all sorts of reasons. I think there should be a list nameshaming those that do not return the moneys if cancellation is 30 days plus. It is time that those culprits in the tourism industry get whacked. This includes booking- / travel agents, lodges, campsites, hotels, tour operators etc..
    Any webguru that can start a webpage for Southern Africa?
    2002 Discovery td5

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mdkb View Post

the entire amount was taken in full from the card immediately. not even a deposit. the entire amount.
    That is just plain nonsense.Granted some establishments have clauses concerning deposits but to take the full amount from your card nearly 3 months before the time is not on.
    I for one would go all the way here.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    2000 Prado 90 KZTE SWB.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

The way to go! Name:  Studio_20200318_105113.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by Luka; 2020/03/18 at 10:54 AM.
    A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.

Luka Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Ok, so I've done some thinking about how to respond to this, while having a braai under official lockdown (see 'It Are Time') I'm actually still not sure I want to get into this and would have preferred to enjoy said braai without this hanging over my head, but then again, I think it does have some relevance to this thread, ie: booking and subsequently cancelling with b .com under various circumstances.

Thing is, when we booked, things had only just started, in Italy. The days are kind of blurring into one another right now, but it was definitely not 'amid the Corona crisis'. We were keeping an eye on the resorts website as well as that of Austrian tourism, particularly Tyrol. All resorts, and borders in Austria were still open. In fact all Euro borders were still open. Think about it, would you just drop everything and hunker down in your bunker amid piles of toilet paper when someone sneezes in another country far away? This resort has 68 lifts and over 200km of groomed pistes, never mind off piste, so people are very spread out, even in season, but it was lower season, at least until Easter, so the crowds were already very thin. This would also not have been our first trip to this resort, so we know it. How then could such a trip be seen as irresponsible?

If we had to book and try go right now, that would be just plain dumb, given that the all the resorts are in fact closed, and there are big guys with big guns at the borders who will stop anyone who tries, no jokes.

You know what, I might as well go all in....

In December Swambo and I were on our way to work a ski season in the French Pyrenees, we were really looking forward to spending some time on the slopes doing what we love while hosting groups in a very plush high end ski chalet. We had loaded the Fiesta up with our gear and were halfway there when the phone rings. Swambo's mum is in hospital, the cancer is back....we continue, but a matter of days after we get there, and while we are busy hosting our first group, the owner agreed that we should go back to Belgium. He very kindly paid us out the short time we were there, and also said we are welcome back anytime, despite the fact that we were contracted to work the entire season, and we drove back the 1300km in one go.

We go to the hospital the very next day, after a monster drive and with just a few hours sleep. This was 6 January. Swambo then proceeds to sit by her mothers bedside, every day, from 11am till 8pm, until 20 Feb, when she then watched her mother take her final breath.

So after the proceedings we decided we could really use a bit of a break, just a little one, after what we had just been though. The problem was Corona was only just getting started, and like I said, we took a calculated risk, trying our best to consider everything.

So please, tell me, what would you do in our position?
    So you booked early March You should have know better. Corona was all over the place in Northern Italy and Austria. Next time read the news And sorry, no sympathy from me.
    Last edited by Gomario; 2020/03/21 at 10:47 PM.
    I love Mozambique!

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    You actually have to try pushing booking.com for this. Even with the corona story cancelling more than two months in advance should not be a problem. Try contacting HAN and see if they will help.

https://www.hannamibia.com/
    Booking.com is useless... Unless you believe in miracles
    I love Mozambique!

Booking dot com were surprisingly efficient and forced a return of the money in full, it should not have been taken in the first polace. But given the situation all round, and given we started this request three weeks before CV19 officially hit anyway, I am pleased with the result.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mdkb For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2