Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

My recipe (especially when towing the caravan)

Try to buildup some speed when you see the hill coming (hopefully no cops / speed traps around), change back to 4th @ +-2,500rpm, change back to 3rd @ about 2,200rpm, pray that no one slows you down going up. 3rd is a very strong gear on these vehicles and you would often get to the top of the hill in third.

On long uphills try and prevent rev's dropping below 2000rpm. I don't like revving engine past 3,000 rpm but on some hills you have to go up to 3,500 rpm before changing up otherwise the revs drop below 2,000 rpm
    Last edited by Sebastiaan; 2020/03/16 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post

Try to buildup some speed when you see the hill coming (hopefully no cops / speed traps around), change back to 4th @ +-2,500rpm, change back to 3rd @ about 2,200rpm, pray that no one slows you down going up. 3rd is a very strong gear on these vehicles and you would often get to the top of the hill in third.

On long uphills try and prevent rev's dropping below 2000rpm. I don't like revving engine past 3,000 rpm but on some hills you have to go up to 3,500 rpm before changing up otherwise the revs drop below 2,000 rpm
    Good advice. Even for turbo'ed diesel vehicles.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C - many, many mods.
    '10 Toyota LC150 1GR-FE VX - stock
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré - stock with some farkles
    - Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. -

Just get the v8 you never touch the gear lever.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Beslis op die wishlist, maar bank bestuurder / beursie wil nie saamwerk nie

Towed 3t trailer with 1Hz many times. Put it in 4th and relax. 100-110 kpu.
    Johan Kriel

Thank you, I won't be towing on trips, but will heed your advice when fully loaded.

The whole reason for the 1HZ is because I don't want a turbo or electronics and no amount of power will change that for me.
    I have a few fast cars and the V8 cruiser is still a dog compared to any of them. I prefer reliability when I cross the border.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    The whole reason for the 1HZ is because I don't want a turbo or electronics and no amount of power will change that for me.
    RTT also let that 1HZ engine work quit hard if you want to drive faster than 110kpu. But for the rest no issues.
    Johan Kriel

Sorry, but a HZ with an altitude compensator (check for a sputnik shaped thingy on top of the IP) should not smoke a lot, once warm under the conditions mentioned . The flat foot "test" may produce that, but if you could see thick black smoke in daylight then you may want to check on a few things, like did the PO f&%k with the fuel screw, and do the injectors need a refurb. The speed drop off is quite normal for these boys, and yes, driving them in city trafic is not at all bad, fun actually, and if you have a good solid steel front bumper, you get respect from the Taxi lads as well.

G

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

I would do the injectors irrespective of service history UNLESS you know they have infact been done...

Not too expensive and prolongs your engine...i would do them every 100 to 150k km...cheaper than losing an engine.

Just my 2c worth
    2018 2.8 Gd6 Hilux DAKAR with extras
    2012 Bushlapa Miskruier

The whole reason for the 1HZ is because I don't want a turbo or electronics .
    Main reason I bought mine.

Have done done about 85,000km since new in 6.5 years, about 70,000 km's on our annual holidays and the rest camping trips closet to home, and nothing to complain about except for the cost of 'bearing services' whilst under warranty. Fortunate to have an indie who drives Cruisers and know them inside out.

I have a few fast cars and the V8 cruiser is still a dog compared to any of them. I prefer reliability when I cross the border.
    Sorry wrong suggestion. I am still a rookie when it comes to 4x4 stuff.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/03/17 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    Sorry, but a HZ with an altitude compensator (check for a sputnik shaped thingy on top of the IP) should not smoke a lot, once warm under the conditions mentioned . The flat foot "test" may produce that, but if you could see thick black smoke in daylight then you may want to check on a few things, like did the PO f&%k with the fuel screw, and do the injectors need a refurb. The speed drop off is quite normal for these boys, and yes, driving them in city trafic is not at all bad, fun actually, and if you have a good solid steel front bumper, you get respect from the Taxi lads as well.
    G
    Toyota adjusted the pump to factory specs per my request, I'll test drive it tomorrow again to see if it made any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post
    I would do the injectors irrespective of service history UNLESS you know they have infact been done...
    Sounds like good advice, Mafika engineering in JHB tests and rebuilds injectors and diesel pumps, I'll let them test it.
    Also the only engineering shop I have ever seen where I would not mind eating off their floors, incredible attention to detail.

Main reason I bought mine.

Have done done about 85,000km since new in 6.5 years, about 70,000 km's on our annual holidays and the rest camping trips closet to home, and nothing to complain about except for the cost of 'bearing services' whilst under warranty. Fortunate to have an indie who drives Cruisers and know them inside out.
    Sounds like the car will last you a very long time at that rate.

Sorry wrong suggestion. I am still a rookie when it comes to 4x4 stuff.
    Do I detect some sarcasm?

No hard feelings, I appreciate opinions other than my own. No point of asking questions otherwise.

Do I detect some sarcasm?
    Maybe yes. The V8 diesel was important into Africa long before TSA imported them and delivered good service with the bad diesel and all. TSA could only important them once SA had 50ppm diesel. And I did not met someone that dont love the V8.

The 1Hz is a no nonsense engine but as you discovered not a lot of power, but if you love that engine and learned to use its a great vehicle. I changed to the V6 as the 1Hz struggled a bit on the road with the Abba camper that I use for overlanding due to the additional wind resistance, and did not see why I should spend R100k more for the same vehicle , but for the rest I was very happy with the 1Hz, and now with the V6.
    Johan Kriel

We don't all go for blondes .

I prefer the straight diesel 1HZ; I don't tow; I feel no need to travel fast when off the beaten track or outside SA's highways.

My wife's car is petrol and when she changes to the 1HZ it always takes a couple of days before she relearns to jiggle the gears for power. She is an excellent driver.

The rooftop tent is a bugger and it needs fine judgement when overtaking on a slow uphill. But we survived 52,000 km of rough roads in 10 months - no sweat.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

The only difference between 3rd 4th and 5th gear on a 4.2D is the amount of smoke coming out at the back. Rook en Kook. Most reliable engine by far if you leave it stock standard. When we travel Africa I leave the windgat V8LX at home and take the reliable 1HZ because it handles any type diesel fuel you force into its belly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin Magic For This Useful Post:

I went for another test drive again after toyota adjusted the diesel pump timing and fuel. The power is actually better and on the same hill the speed dropped from 120 to just over 110. It was also much easier to get to 120.
    Also, I can only see visible smoke at full throttle uphill and it is barely visible.

All in all I am happy and will probably take delivery of the vehicle tomorrow.

The 1HZ is slow, but still what I consider to be in the "I can live with it" category. I am sure I will enjoy this car for many years to come.

Now I need to figure out what I need to add to the car for overlanding trips. I prefer to take only what is necessary, less weight, less to go wrong.

So far I need a dual battery system and a rear bumper.

Any other recommended modifications?

With the DC all the load in the load bin is behind the wheels therefor it sagging quit a bit with any load. You can either use a aftermarket springs if there is a permanent load like canopy and wheel carrier bumper etc, or use air spring for the occasionally load. I got both, springs for the permanent load, drawers, canopy and wheel carrier and airbags for additional load like the 200l petrol tank, fridge etc.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/03/19 at 10:15 AM.
    Johan Kriel

Congratulations on the new vehicle Cyclone, You are going to love it.

As for the fuel debate on 1HZ and 1VD in Africa, have a look at the two most African traveled Cruisers on the form, Trevor and his 1VD and Henris with his troopy. I honestly think that there is far more V8's out in Africa than 1Hz's and they last. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy your Cruiser.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    I honestly think that there is far more V8's out in Africa than 1Hz's ..........
    Sorry, but I doubt that Chris.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast