Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

I am planning to buy a second hand Land Cruiser Double Cab and have leaned towards the 4.2 because of reliability and ability to consume dirty diesel.

I test drove one and on the hill just past Malibongwe Dr on the N1 western bypass the speed fell from 120 to about 100 in 5th.
    It was also some black smoke coming out the exhaust on the uphills. Enough that I can see it trailing behind the car for 10 or 15 meters before disappearing

Is this normal for a 4.2? The car has 150k km on it.

I don't mind losing speed as long as I know this is normal and not something wrong with this particular car. I guess the black smoke made me question the power as well.

Any owners with experience regarding this.

Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

The before Malibongwe offramp has a long uphill, so yes, you are expecting too much from that 4.2.
    It is a workhorse, not a racer.

The black smoke was probably because you had your foot planted in the corner, else, the dieselpump was turned up for more oomph, regardless, black smoke is unburnt diesel fuel, so not inherently something wrong, but a waste, over a long period lead to damage and excessive carbon build-up.

Drive it in the optimum power range. 2,800 -3,000rpm per gear and it will last a million kays.
    Last edited by swakop_toe; 2020/03/16 at 07:49 PM.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swakop_toe For This Useful Post:

my 2 cents worth

The 4.2 diesel is a donkey - but a reliable donkey.

Black smoke means that the engine is over fueling with too little air. This can cause overheating and severe engine damage if abused.

However, if it was only uphill, it simply means that you had too much throttle. If the smoke goes away once on the level road again, then nothing to worry about.

If you see black smoke, reduce throttle demand.

I would negotiate a R12 K reduction in price to cover for a diesel pump rebuild and injector tips.
    Find the solutions, not the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    I am planning to buy a second hand Land Cruiser Double Cab and have leaned towards the 4.2 because of reliability and ability to consume dirty diesel.

I test drove one and on the hill just past Malibongwe Dr on the N1 western bypass the speed fell from 120 to about 100 in 5th.
    It was also some black smoke coming out the exhaust on the uphills. Enough that I can see it trailing behind the car for 10 or 15 meters before disappearing

Is this normal for a 4.2? The car has 150k km on it.

I don't mind losing speed as long as I know this is normal and not something wrong with this particular car. I guess the black smoke made me question the power as well.

Any owners with experience regarding this.
    Haha, the 4.2 is a donkey, a beautiful donkey that will serve you well, but a donkey nonetheless. You will shift down on most uphills. If you keep your foot planted the 4.2 tends to smoke like that when under load. Obviously there is a line. If it smokes all the time then that's not right.

Easy answer: gear down.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Agreed, OP is labouring (low revs - and lots of strain on the engine. .) the engine....

Any uphill with a donkey you have to use your cogbox.Do not labour the engine going uphill and you will be good for 500 000 km with that engine.
    And remember timing belt on 150K Km.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    2000 Prado 90 KZTE SWB.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Agreed, OP is labouring (low revs - and lots of strain on the engine. .) the engine....
    most people who come from petrol engines make this mistake
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yep 1HZ fueling is still throttle controlled not vacuum controlled like a petrol car.
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheoM For This Useful Post:

Excess diesel causes a lot of extra heat(unlike a petrol motor where excess fuel actually cools). Both cases are obviously a waste of fuel.

My 4.2 is almost on 400k km. It is what it is, slow but reliable. I drove 1000km last week in 2 days, and what a pleasure it was to do that again. The sound of that engine, especially if driven like an old Mercedes 1314 truck, with some pedal action while changing gears.

As it has no rev counter, the following advise: 1st gear 35km/h, 2nd 60km/h, 3rd 85km/hr, 4th 115km/h and 5th, well my best was 162 on a lekker down hill. So, if you drive an incline, and the speed drops, at 100km/h you should go to 4th, and go to 3rd if you are at 80km/h to try and keep the speed up. You will struggle get back to 80km/h if you only go down to 3rd at 60km/h on an uphill because the revs has dropped to much.

Buy it and enjoy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys, I will let Toyota have a look at the pump timing.

The car has been serviced and timing belt replaced, so no worries there for a while.
    Maybe I should fit an EGT gauge to make sure its not over fuelling. Any ideas where I can get one?

The car has been serviced and timing belt replaced, so no worries there for a while.
    Maybe I should fit an EGT gauge to make sure its not over fuelling. Any ideas where I can get one?
    Don't think an EGT gauge is necessary if it's not a turbo diesel.

Would recommend taking the vehicle past Roadac Diesel in Honeydew. They only do diesel injectors and pumps and very well priced.

Always good to get the pump and injectors checked

But

For my Patrol 4,2D(onkey) at 847000km the rule of the road is:

When working hard (load/tow/uphill) is:

Find a gear where you can maintain 2800-3200 rpm and simply ignore the speedo....and those passing you.
    (Your car, and you, will last longer...)
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/03/16 at 02:42 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 848 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 105 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +50 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 120 000 km

You won't need an EGT gauge, just understand old school diesel engines: they don't have a throttle restricting air intake and run on excess air / lean mixture. Engine power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected, which is largely controlled by the accelerator pedal and engine speed. All mechanical, no electronics.

When you press the accelerator pedal and the engine speed comes down (driving that uphill) your engine gets less air but still quite a bit of fuel, meaning that there is less or no air left for cooling. EGT will go up and could potentially damage the engine at one stage. Gear down, increase engine speed, engine gets more air and is happy again.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    My 4.2 is almost on 400k km. It is what it is, slow but reliable. I drove 1000km last week in 2 days, and what a pleasure it was to do that again. The sound of that engine, especially if driven like an old Mercedes 1314 truck, with some pedal action while changing gears.

As it has no rev counter, the following advise: 1st gear 35km/h, 2nd 60km/h, 3rd 85km/hr, 4th 115km/h and 5th, well my best was 162 on a lekker down hill. So, if you drive an incline, and the speed drops, at 100km/h you should go to 4th, and go to 3rd if you are at 80km/h to try and keep the speed up. You will struggle get back to 80km/h if you only go down to 3rd at 60km/h on an uphill because the revs has dropped to much.

Buy it and enjoy.
    Thanks, I did enjoy the car, even in traffic around town in my test drive. I don't mind the slow speed at all.

Smoke on an incline in an old school diesel is a given. I regularly get the 4.2's on the incline past Rigel Ave in Pretoria and most of them smoke a bit. With 94kW and 280 Nm you need to be patient, less throttle = less smoke.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

The Cruiser sounds like it is running perfectly. At that mileage I wouldn’t bother with the pump and injectors. The previous owner might have driven it like a donkey too so the engine might just need a good run to loosen up.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GarethHAllen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    The Cruiser sounds like it is running perfectly. At that mileage I wouldn’t bother with the pump and injectors. The previous owner might have driven it like a donkey too so the engine might just need a good run to loosen up.
    yep, just add a decent diesel injector cleaner and drive it like a race car for a few hundred KMs

(personally, I'd just add 500ml of decent two stroke oil to a tank of diesel, but we're not allowed to discuss 2SO on this forum..... )
    Percivamus

Overfueling. Some fiddling with the pump for few extra horses. Not suppose to smoke that much.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/03/17 at 01:38 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast