Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill? - Page 5





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 101
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,297
    Thanked: 278

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Thank you for the kind reference Sebastiaan!

    Scalpel, if you are willing to visit our shop in Centurion (we are a privately owned franchise Mega World) I am happy to discuss your needs, future plans and expectations and see if one cannot assist.

    I only supply and fit Old Man Emu suspensions (keep in mind, this is also what Toyota chose from all other suspensions out there when the Namib special edition was conceived). I am very confident in the product and its application on a Cruiser.

    So much so, I will, in addition to the suspension's regular warranty, also offer you a 5 business day money back warranty on the system meeting your needs as specced by us. Very simply, if you feel within the stated 5 business days that the suspension fitted does not meet your expectations you phone us and tell us so. We will, at our cost and on a suitable date (does not have to be in the 5 days but not 2 years later either), remove it and fit your standard suspension together with refunding you in full.

    My only caveat is that I am allowed to post here that I refunded you and also, to make available your email address to any future client so that such client can confirm that I did stand by my word.

    I have been trying for over 2 years to get the opportunity to stand by my offer and refund a client.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waterfall
    Age
    76
    Posts
    169
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    More details / pictures please
    Interested in how buffers are attached to bumper and then how you secure hi-lift jack to the buffers. Looking for ideas for highlift on ARB bumper
    I'll take a couple of Pic's tomorrow and post. The previous owner fabricated the two buffers. They fit through the holes that normally take the high-lift jack. He actually had the jack mounted on the front of the buffers and carried a spare rear leaf spring on top.
    Regards
    2004 Disco II XS TD5 A/T Sold - Sad to see it go
    2008 Land Cruiser 76 4.2 Diesel SW

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryc For This Useful Post:


  4. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waterfall
    Age
    76
    Posts
    169
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    A few images.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5216.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	410.0 KB 
ID:	564413

    The jack sits on top of the buffers secured with heavy duty cable ties and a chain & padlock. On a trip the previous owner carried a spare rear leaf spring assy. on top and the jack was bolted on the front of the buffers with 2 x 13 mm bolts.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5214.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	564414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5217.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	564415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5218.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	564416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5219.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	564417

    The shaft of the buffers is the same diameter as a hi-lift jack adapter. The buffers are secured with hitch pins. quick and easy to remove.

    Note: I am sure you can co,e up with other ideas, the main thing is to utilize the existing holes in the steel bumper to secure your brackets.

    Cheers and keep safe!
    2004 Disco II XS TD5 A/T Sold - Sad to see it go
    2008 Land Cruiser 76 4.2 Diesel SW

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryc For This Useful Post:


  6. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    26
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Congratulations on your Donkey.

    I too recently got myself one but in a different body, I picked up a 1 owner 105 series. It's slow but it's not that bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael11 For This Useful Post:


  8. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    26
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by locklaw View Post
    Thank you for the kind reference Sebastiaan!

    Scalpel, if you are willing to visit our shop in Centurion (we are a privately owned franchise Mega World) I am happy to discuss your needs, future plans and expectations and see if one cannot assist.

    I only supply and fit Old Man Emu suspensions (keep in mind, this is also what Toyota chose from all other suspensions out there when the Namib special edition was conceived). I am very confident in the product and its application on a Cruiser.

    So much so, I will, in addition to the suspension's regular warranty, also offer you a 5 business day money back warranty on the system meeting your needs as specced by us. Very simply, if you feel within the stated 5 business days that the suspension fitted does not meet your expectations you phone us and tell us so. We will, at our cost and on a suitable date (does not have to be in the 5 days but not 2 years later either), remove it and fit your standard suspension together with refunding you in full.

    My only caveat is that I am allowed to post here that I refunded you and also, to make available your email address to any future client so that such client can confirm that I did stand by my word.

    I have been trying for over 2 years to get the opportunity to stand by my offer and refund a client.

    Hi Rudi, I wish we were not on lock down, I would love to visit with the 105 to get some advice and source some parts. I have heard you the go to guy for maintenance and replacement parts.

  9. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,297
    Thanked: 278

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael11 View Post
    Hi Rudi, I wish we were not on lock down, I would love to visit with the 105 to get some advice and source some parts. I have heard you the go to guy for maintenance and replacement parts.
    Hi Michael. Congratulations on the clean Cruiser! While slow, she's got a ton of go with coils all round and triple lockers.

    Hang tight, we'll get through lockdown and then we can all get out and about again.

  10. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    26
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by locklaw View Post
    Hi Michael. Congratulations on the clean Cruiser! While slow, she's got a ton of go with coils all round and triple lockers.

    Hang tight, we'll get through lockdown and then we can all get out and about again.
    Are you also offering the 25 % discount on qko OME and ARB products.

    I would like that meet

  11. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,066
    Thanked: 323

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
    Ek wil suspensie op my DC doen. Ek het voorheen 'n slegte ondervinding met OME gehad so ek wil nie weer daai pad loop nie. Ek het al gehoor Ironman ry hard. Enige ander voorstelle/ondervinding?
    Ja, Dobinsons is uitstekend. OME skokbrekers het my goed behandel maar 'n veer het gebreek op 'n kritieke plek, was ingesit deur 4x4 Megaworld in Isando en toe ek teruggekom het kon hulle nie help nie.

    Sien Dobinsons se website, (https://www.dobinsonsprings.com/) steeds in Australie gemaak anders as meeste ander wat in China gemaak word en in bedryf van 1953. Kontak N1 4x4 in Pta.

  12. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    89
    Thanked: 101

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    For a while I've been watching cruisers with hearts in my eyes as seen in kiddies cartoons but haven't quite gotten round to it yet.
    I'd also prefer non turbo variants but what kind of real world fuel consumption are you guys getting whether donkey or not?

  13. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    27
    Posts
    980
    Thanked: 385

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    For a while I've been watching cruisers with hearts in my eyes as seen in kiddies cartoons but haven't quite gotten round to it yet.
    I'd also prefer non turbo variants but what kind of real world fuel consumption are you guys getting whether donkey or not?
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d-Crise-76-4-2

    7km/l avg.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

    -Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:


  15. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    58
    Posts
    543
    Thanked: 126

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    @ Nabs,
    Between 5 and 6.5km / litre when towing Bushlapa Miskruier - max speed 110/115kmh
    Between 6.5 and 8.5 km/litre no towing, not exceeding 120kmh.
    Strong to gale force wind from the front or sides stuffs up any attempt at getting decent consumption out of the donkey, but I knew this before purchasing.
    I have 265/75/16 Cooper STT's on at present, above consumption based on current tyres.

    Diesel consumption appears to be improving quite a bit since passing 60,000kms (best between new and 60,000 kms was around 7.2km/l with BF's 265/70/16. Swapped to Coopers around 72,000km's a year ago, odo now +-84,000

    I have not compensated for the slightly larger tyres.

    Don't know if it is my imagination but consumption also better when using 500ppm diesel, but it is getting more and more difficult to find (mine is a 2013 model)
    Last edited by Sebastiaan; 2020/04/02 at 09:41 PM.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastiaan For This Useful Post:


  17. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    89
    Thanked: 101

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Thanks guys. That's only marginally heavier than my outlander so I guess I could live with it. Faster cars only mean more speeding fines of which I've had about enough.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 45

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    I have filled up twice already (not from empty) and I averaged 7.2 km/l both times calculated from the odo with 265/75 R16 Cooper ST Maxx.

    Both times were mostly highway at 120kph between Jhb and PTA a few times and probably 15% slow traffic.

    I'm sure I can do a bit better if I tried, but I'm rather happy with it so far.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post:


  20. #94
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,297
    Thanked: 278

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael11 View Post
    Are you also offering the 25 % discount on qko OME and ARB products.

    I would like that meet
    Apologies for the late reply. Yes, we match all discounts advertised.

  21. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,297
    Thanked: 278

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    I have filled up twice already (not from empty) and I averaged 7.2 km/l both times calculated from the odo with 265/75 R16 Cooper ST Maxx.

    Both times were mostly highway at 120kph between Jhb and PTA a few times and probably 15% slow traffic.

    I'm sure I can do a bit better if I tried, but I'm rather happy with it so far.
    We have a few 1HZ's, including a pair bought on the same day. They are used under the same circumstances on the farms yet one pulls better and gives 1km/l more. The "bad" one must have been a Friday afternoon model.

    In any event, with those figures my opinion is leave it alone. Very few places do decent jobs on the pumps/injectors.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to locklaw For This Useful Post:


  23. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,229
    Thanked: 2737

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by locklaw View Post
    In any event, with those figures my opinion is leave it alone. Very few places do decent jobs on the pumps/injectors.
    Maybe the skills for setting mechanical diesel pumps and injectors are lost The sad side is that training has moved on to the new common rail tech.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  24. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,297
    Thanked: 278

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Maybe the skills for setting mechanical diesel pumps and injectors are lost The sad side is that training has moved on to the new common rail tech.
    I don't know what the real answer is. But, it used to be the case that you only send your pump and injectors to that oom, but that oom has now either retired or passed away.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to locklaw For This Useful Post:


  26. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,318
    Thanked: 3080

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    That is the funny thing about 1HZ's. Some are absolute donkeys and some are race horses. Not sure why, but what I do know is that they are very sensitive to timing, both valve and injector. And valve clearance, which because of the shims, are not always done properly. But some differ like that from new. Just one of those idiosyncrasy's of the engine.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  28. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Potchefstroom
    Age
    34
    Posts
    276
    Thanked: 48

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    That is the funny thing about 1HZ's. Some are absolute donkeys and some are race horses. Not sure why, but what I do know is that they are very sensitive to timing, both valve and injector. And valve clearance, which because of the shims, are not always done properly. But some differ like that from new. Just one of those idiosyncrasy's of the engine.
    I am on my 4th 1HZ and know this all to well.

    #1 Was a 98 105 with a motor that was pulled from a 2000s something pick up after the original motor went pop with an alpine turbo on it. Man, that motor, with about 170k km on it ran like stink. Petri Oosthuizen can confirm this for me. We often just call each other up and talk about "that" specific motor. What an introduction to Land Cruisers after driving only defenders. That thing was awesome. But then...

    traded up for #2 fully kitted 06 105 with 1HZzzzzz, what a frustration. The less said the better. Previous owner even put smaller diameter tyres on to get it going.

    #3 was a 96 80 GX with 500k km on it. ran ok, had free flow and went well, but nothing like #1, So I suppose this how they should be. Sold this via oom Petri to a guy running it up and down Lesotho. Bless him.... he probably has lots of time on his hands

    #4 is a 2012 Troopy. Quick run down to DBN earlier this month, and it was great going there, almost forgot that it was a 1Hz. Coming back, well another story. My reading list on google since lockdown looks something like

    "Safely turbo 1hz"
    "1hz tune up"
    "1hz replace with 1hdt" etc etc etc

    In the end it is what it is.

    But as Francois and Rudi say, some go great and others just don't. Weird..... Francois other post got me thinking that its time to have the shims and pump etc checked on the Troopy, but as Rudi says, who to trust, because I don't trust anybody with these pumps
    Last edited by Reece; 2020/04/04 at 12:01 PM.

  29. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 45

    Default Re: Land Cruiser 4.2 1HZ Double cab speed uphill?

    I'm not sure what magic there is to 1hz tuning, but Strijdom park Toyota adjusted the diesel pump timing om mine and it definitely has a lot more power than it had initially.

    Maybe it is worthwhile to ask them to do the same if your 1hz feels slower than others.

    Again, it wasn't huge, but the car keeps its speed much better than before.

    I'm sure a competent mech with a Dyno should be able to fine-tune the pump.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •