first confirmed corona cases, travel ban in effect.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default first confirmed corona cases, travel ban in effect.

see attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Default Re: first confirmed corona cases, travel ban in effect.

Quote: "
    The Namibian Government is suspending inbound and outbound travel to and from Qatar,
    Ethiopia and Germany with immediate effect for a period of 30 days."

So, for now, not relevant to neighbouring countries including South Africa.

Mike

Mozguide.

German, Ethiopian and Qatar airlines only internationals to an from Namibia?
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    German, Ethiopian and Qatar airlines only internationals to an from Namibia?
    Suspect those are the links from Windhoek to further destinations
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

No outbound trafic to Germany? That will affect the majority of the travelling people we met on our trip until now.

Just a side question on this travel ban topic: We’re travelling with our kids through SA and Namibia for three months. We’re supposed to fly back to Belgium from JHB on the 8th of april but we keep in mind that a forced longer stay is a possibility. We normally cross the SA border again (now in Etosha) on the 30th of march on our way to Kgalagadi but we wonder if there is a possibility that borders will be closed for car trafic too? And in the case we get stucked anyhow (our flight makes a stopover in Turkey where a lot of routes have been cancelled until at least mid april), where would you prefer to get stucked - Namibia or SA? We haven’t booked that much so if we need to anticipate on whatever possible, we could accelerate our trip back south to SA...

There is still KLM flying Amsterdam - Windhoek, I think via Luanda.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

2 confirmed Spanish tourist in Windhoek.

Quote Originally Posted by FreekenGriet View Post
    No outbound trafic to Germany? That will affect the majority of the travelling people we met on our trip until now.

Just a side question on this travel ban topic: We’re travelling with our kids through SA and Namibia for three months. We’re supposed to fly back to Belgium from JHB on the 8th of april but we keep in mind that a forced longer stay is a possibility. We normally cross the SA border again (now in Etosha) on the 30th of march on our way to Kgalagadi but we wonder if there is a possibility that borders will be closed for car trafic too? And in the case we get stucked anyhow (our flight makes a stopover in Turkey where a lot of routes have been cancelled until at least mid april), where would you prefer to get stucked - Namibia or SA? We haven’t booked that much so if we need to anticipate on whatever possible, we could accelerate our trip back south to SA...
    Your question regarding where better to be stuck is not simple; You are traveling with kids. I can just give you my own simple opinion: There is a very good chance things will get way worse before they get better, both the reality and the hysteria around it. If I were to take such a decision, I would consider where would I and my kids have better chances to get good hospital care if things will get worse? where would my medical insurance work best? Where will I get some priority over local patients? In all honesty, home in Belgium might be the right answer and as sad as it sounds, you might want to consider cutting your adventure short.
    As far as air transport goes, there will always be more options from South Africa than from Windhoek.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernani_09 For This Useful Post:

This is very good advice. I have a daughter stuck currently in New Orleans trying to board the last plane to the UK. It sounds like things are in panic mode there. Stuck in a foreign country is not going to be easy as this gets worse.

Agree with the above.

Uncertain times and unknown territory.

A good time to be at home.

Mike

Mozguide.

Im at Windhoek airport all those folk are trying to get onto saa flight to joburg

My advice to Freek and Griet (via SMS) was that if you are going to have to go into lockdown, and self-isolation and social distancing, there is no better place to do it than overlanding through Namibia, as long as finances last. Europe is going into lockdown mode, we have friends on their dream three month trip through Europe and they managed to get onto the last bus out of Spain into Portugal. Namibia has so many wonderful, remote, isolated areas that if I wasn't in work mode, I would pack up the Landy and the family and head off to Namibia on a very long extended trip. SA Cabinet is meeting as I write this, and the chances are they will announce a partial travel ban on international flights, and imposed isolation of two weeks for incoming tourists from affected countries. Not sure if this will apply to incoming from Namibia.
    Things are going to get a lot worse.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2020/03/15 at 01:02 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    My advice to Freek and Griet (via SMS) was that if you are going to have to go into lockdown, and self-isolation and social distancing, there is no better place to do it than overlanding through Namibia, as long as finances last. Europe is going into lockdown mode, we have friends on their dream three month trip through Europe and they managed to get onto the last bus out of Spain into Portugal. Namibia has so many wonderful, remote, isolated areas that if I wasn't in work mode, I would pack up the Landy and the family and head off to Namibia on a very long extended trip. SA Cabinet is meeting as I write this, and the chances are they will announce a partial travel ban on international flights, and imposed isolation of two weeks for incoming tourists from affected countries. Not sure if this will apply to incoming from Namibia.
    Things are going to get a lot worse.
    Tony: I don't disagree with you but one has to have the right mental and financial state to do what you are suggesting - not simple for most and way easier said than done. It depends, of course, in each personal circumstances and what and whom he left behind in his home country.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ernani_09 For This Useful Post:

All arrivals into Australia from midnight tonight - 14 days isolation.
    If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!

Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

SWAMBO: Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

Thanks all for your advice.

As the SA governement just announced measures from 18 march ongoing we think we’re better of heading straight to SA before the 18th. Why? Cause first there is no chance we can arrange to go back to Belgium at this stage (and why would we, our country is almost in lockdown) and secondly we indeed think we might have more options (especially in therms of healthcare and transport) in SA than in Namibia. Our rental car also needs to go back to SA, but that’s maybe a minor issue. At last, we know some SA people from this community we can get help from in case we’re in need.

We regret to change our adventure that sudden, but we hope we can just continue to camp further in all safety and remoteness (as Tony advises) back in SA. Looks like we’re gonna discover the Northern Province some more and eventually we get back on our plan to visit Kgalagadi. We’re ready to prolonge our stay cause returning the 8th of april to Europe looks like a no go...

We really hope Southern Africa will not get that affected by Corona as Europe is at this stage... fingers crossed and let’s respect all the health recommendations in the meanwhile.

Keep us updated, from what I read some land ports will be closed as of tomorrow, but no list yet saying which ones.

South Africa has 72 ports of entry land/sea/airport
    53 Land Ports, 35 Shut down as of Monday
    ▪2 out of 8 sea port closed for passengers
    ▪Non essential travel prohibited
    ▪Non essential domestic travel to be stopped

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	562032
    Francois

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	562033
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    see attached
    Potential storm in a teacup, some interesting and hopefully useful links:
    https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/a...800632,00.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ATq...2zRwm3dT563Wac

https://verslank.net/covid-19-coronavirus-opdatering/

Hi - I see that the Twee Rivieren border post (for Botswana travel) was also closed...
    Does this mean that the Kgalagadi is open but that one just cannot exit via the Mabua gate into Botswana?
    We have a trip planned for May that includes camping on the SA side, as well as the Botswana side...
    I was wondering if that would be a problem
    Last edited by Gico; 2020/03/16 at 12:17 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast