Camp outside of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Default Camp outside of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Hi guys

I read and learned alot from you guys. But there are a few questions I couldn't get answered. But I'm pretty sure you can help me. :-)

We will travel around Botswana in September 20. Actually we wanted to spend some time in the CKGR, but actually it doesn't work now. For the new plan we would like to visit the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. Not really suprising but all the accomodations are fully booked. In result we can only spend the time during the day inside the park but have to camp somewhere outside. I read that it's still legal to camp wild on the cutline.

Well, here are my questions:
    1. Any great recommendation to camp around Twee Rivieren outside the park?
    2. How about in the north around Kaa?
    3. Question concerning the route: Facing the map, it should be possible to drive to "Union's End" and follow the border until Charles Hill. But I couldn't read anywhere something about this. Bad idea? Any animals to see? Or is it better to take the Kaa-Gate and drive by Ukwhi or Hukuntsi?

Thank you very much!!

Default Re: Camp outside of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Quote Originally Posted by zockerwurf View Post
    Hi guys

I read and learned alot from you guys. But there are a few questions I couldn't get answered. But I'm pretty sure you can help me. :-)

We will travel around Botswana in September 20. Actually we wanted to spend some time in the CKGR, but actually it doesn't work now. For the new plan we would like to visit the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. Not really suprising but all the accomodations are fully booked. In result we can only spend the time during the day inside the park but have to camp somewhere outside. I read that it's still legal to camp wild on the cutline.

Well, here are my questions:
    1. Any great recommendation to camp around Twee Rivieren outside the park?Look at Kgalagadi lodge. Just 5 km outside Twee Rivieren. But at the Botswana side just outside you may be bushcamp.

2. How about in the north around Kaa? Yes.

3. Question concerning the route: Facing the map, it should be possible to drive to "Union's End" and follow the border until Charles Hill. But I couldn't read anywhere something about this. Bad idea? Any animals to see? Or is it better to take the Kaa-Gate and drive by Ukwhi or Hukuntsi? No not from Unions End to Charles Hill. Kaa to Ukwhi and then you can go to Nkwatla, to Charles Hill
    \

Thank you very much!!
    Hope that answer your questions
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

I am afraid its a bit far from Kaa to Two Rivers. You will drive the whole day and no stop>

The first map show the distance and time.

The second one the road from Kaa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaa navraag.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	561573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaa navraag 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	561574  
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

But you must find out if they will allowed you in the park if you do not have any reservations.

May be at the gate at Kaa you can get a campsite for the night or 2. But i am afraid not at Twee Rivieren or you must keep looking every day on Sanparks website or at DWNP for botswana side.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Hope that answer your questions
    Thank you for these information.

Hmm... and south of Twee Rivieren is not a nice place around for some wild camping?

Do you know anything about the road along the border i mentioned?

Thank you for these information.

Hmm... and south of Twee Rivieren is not a nice place around for some wild camping?

Do you know anything about the road along the border i mentioned?
    All the ground along the road leading to Twee Rivieren is privately owned land. If you wild-camp there, you would be trespassing, which could lead to prosecution or even arrest.

Try this place, just 3 or 4 km south of Twee Rivieren entrance gate: www.http://www.kgalagadi-lodge.co.za/

Hope you come right!

Have you considered Tsabong, further East, via McCarthy's rest Border Post?
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/03/12 at 11:14 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

This is the area (and accommodation) I am talking about, seems to be much more available than at Twee Rivieren

Maps and accommodation lists of both areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tsabong Accommodation.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	561587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twee Rivieren nearby Accommodation.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	561588  
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

3. Question concerning the route: Facing the map, it should be possible to drive to "Union's End" and follow the border until Charles Hill. But I couldn't read anywhere something about this. Bad idea? Any animals to see? Or is it better to take the Kaa-Gate and drive by Ukwhi or Hukuntsi?
    You are most definitely not allowed to drive along the border from Unions end. You will need to exit via Kaa gate.

As suggested multiple times, the best place to camp outside the park in the south is Kgalagadi lodge.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/03/13 at 08:52 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Camp at Kgalagadi Lodge 5km outside of Twee Rivieren. Excellent facilities and restaurant! Best to book.

Be advised SANParks can limit the number of day visitors entering the park.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Paul Dold;Be advised SANParks can limit the number of day visitors entering the park.[/QUOTE]

You can pre-book day visits, I know they do that in Kruger in the high season. so that may solve the problem of limited entries if it is an option for KTFP.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Pre-booking is possible and probably essential for KTP; only 20 vehicles per day is allowed.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/03/13 at 10:45 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

there are a few possibilities outside and inisde the park at the BW side, partly mentioned by others:

1. outside the KAA gate there is the so-called KD2 area with a number of very beautiful and secluded pans. Chances of seeing wildlife are as good as inside the park. Last year May I was there and saw lion on the cutline with the park and sufficient lion and other spoor at those pans.
    2. You can drive to KAA gate and ask for one of two nights at the campsite there, if you are lucky you even have a shower and water!
    3. You can ask if on of the campsites of the KAA wilderness trail is available. Swartpan will be a problem, that most certainly will be occupied, but there are a few other camps which not always are occupied.
    4. There is an overflow site at Polentswa, you can ask at the KAA gate if it is available for one of more nights.
    5. Finally, if you are with more than one car you can try and ask at KAA gate if the Polentswa trail is available for two nights. Might be low chance because it is used by many people but you never know.

Good luck, Rik
    Last edited by Rik; 2020/03/15 at 11:40 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rik For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    there are a few possibilities outside and inisde the park at the BW side, partly mentioned by others:

1. outside the KAA gate there is the so-called KD2 area with a number of very beautiful and secluded pans. Chances of seeing wildlife are as good as inside the park. Last year May I was there and saw lion on the cutline with the park and sufficient lion and other spoor at those pans.
    2. You can drive to KAA gate and ask for one of two nights at the campsite there, if you are lucky you even have a shower and water!
    3. You can ask if on of the campsites of the KAA wilderness trail is available. Swartpan will be a problem, that most certainly will be occupied, but there are a few other camps which not always are occupied.
    4. There is an overflow site at Polentswa, you can ask at the KAA gate if it is available for one of more nights.
    5. Finally, if you are with more than one car you can try and ask at KAA gate if the Polentswa trail is available for two nights. Might be low chance because it is used by many people but you never know.

Good luck, Rik
    I think they have banned this so called 'Overflow Site' at Polentswa because of abuse ..same at Rooiputs ..Anyway Polentswa feels full with 3 booked campsites and Only Two Rivers will know ..not KAA gate

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I think they have banned this so called 'Overflow Site' at Polentswa because of abuse ..same at Rooiputs ..Anyway Polentswa feels full with 3 booked campsites and Only Two Rivers will know ..not KAA gate
    The over Flow campsite itís there at Polentswa, unless you talking about recent developments. We even asked at the entrance the logistics of booking it, and we were advised that itís only booked at entrance not Pre-booked.

Where is the overflow site at Polentswa, compared to the other 3 sites? I have never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
    Where is the overflow site at Polentswa, compared to the other 3 sites? I have never heard of it.
    Yes there is, we stayed at Polentswa 3 in December 2019 and friends stayed in overflow site. It is about 500 - 800m past Polentswa 3, it basically consists of a tree, there are no facilities whatsoever there, no A frame, no shower, no longdrop - very rustic.
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
    Its just along the track, as you leave the campsites,going towards the Polentswa lodge when you start the Wilderness Trail.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2020/03/16 at 11:20 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Thanks a lot for your answers! you helped me a lot.

One final question: I already saw multiple screenshots of the T4A-Map. When I searched for it I only found the online map. How to get the one you use?

Thanks a lot for your answers! you helped me a lot.

One final question: I already saw multiple screenshots of the T4A-Map. When I searched for it I only found the online map. How to get the one you use?
    https://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/abo...rtphone/apple/

https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/pro...ard-maps-maps/

Available as a mobile phone app or as an SD memory card for a Garmin GPS.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus