New tendency: standing up while lane splitting - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: New tendency: standing up while lane splitting

I have ridden bikes all my life, currently on my 3rd "adventure" - no not a Beemer, but confess to having owned 2 in the last 10 years. Standing on the pegs does have some advantages especially on rutted gravel or marbles. The biggest disdavantage to me is that when you stand you lose sight of your mirrors and have no idea of what is coming up behind you. Not too much of a problem on a quiet country road, but in heavy traffic? I sit while lane splitting and the only time I stand on the pegs on tar is to go over speed bumps or to stretch when it is safe after a long time in the saddle.. Also while in heavy traffic I travel at what I call the ambient speed of the vehicles around me, it is stupid to do 120 when the rest of the traffic is going at 80 or 90.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kreeves For This Useful Post:

Been a biker all my life and did moto x for a big portion of that riding. Dis n windgat ding, nothing else. Always makes me tense up when I see this, waiting for the s,,,, t to hit the fan with a biker with way less control than he should have. Don't care if you are a mathematical genius, and can can prove the point of balance or whatever, this my experience

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Alberts For This Useful Post:

Back to the OP's original question - I have no idea why riders stand while lane-splitting - seems a bit pointless to me, but anyway.....

I lane-split pretty much all the time in heavy traffic - but do it safely, about km/h faster than the surrounding traffic - so very slowly when the cars are almost standing still etc., and as noted, there are bike riders who dont want to lane split - all good as well, as long as you ride in your comfort zone, you know when you are safe! I also let other faster bikers through if they push me beyond my comfort zone, they are more than welcome to ride faster if thats their pace.

An I never lane-split in the rain - cars never see you then.....

I ride loads of off-road as well, standing there has it's place too- I have done off-road training sand training, and there is an old adage that prevails - Sit when you can, stand when you have to......

Ride Safe!

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClimbingTurtle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grant L View Post
    When lane splitting the rider is most likely to clip the wing mirrors of slow or stationary cars with the ends of his handlebars.

In order to move around the wing mirror's you tilt the bike over left or right.

It's much easier to tilt the bike and continue in a straight line for a short while whilst standing on the pegs before straightening up again.

disclaimer: practice on your mountain bike between trees before heading out onto Empire Road.
    First correct answer!

If you think standing reduces your chances of clipping mirrors then the gaps you are taking is too small and you need to relax and wait for a big enough gap to open up and enjoy your ride while sitting down.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Takashi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Actually he did. He said that it moves from the seat to the pegs.
    This is basic high school science.
    If it were true rooftop tents would be fixed to pillars bolted underneath the car rather than to the roof
    - Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2014 (Cooper Discover P285/70/17 // Mickey Thompson Sidewinder II's // Teraflex 2" levelling kit // Renegade front/rear steel bumpers)
    - (SOLD 2017/03) Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 XLE 4x2 Manual 2005 (Falken Landair 31/10.5/15)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xdoomx For This Useful Post:

Ek staan so nou en dan as ek wil poep. Het jy al probeer poep terwyl jy sit en ry? Jy gan die bike omdonner as jy net een hol lig.

Dis veliger om te staan as jy stadiger ry. So ek hou my poepe to dan toe. Ek maak net seker die karre om my se vensters is toe.

Toyota ryers se vensters is altyd oop met n arm wat uithang, so ek knyp tot ek verby hulle is.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fredwb View Post
    According to the South African Road Traffic Act, standing up on a motor cycle while riding is actually illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    That is one thing I've been wondering about. I've never been on the BMW course so can't confirm, but it is possible.
    Yes, it is illegal not be seated.
    That is what the law states.

I have done a couple of advanced CountryTrax courses.
    On technical off-road terrain, you stand up!
    Sand, loose gravel, rocks, slow graded roads, grass, Bush, you stand, to have more control over your bike, because your are not even exceeding 60km/h.
    They teach you how to behave, how to react, what not to do, how to correct, when to react and when to sit down.

It is a pointless pose to stand on your pegs whilst lanesplitting.
    Last edited by swakop_toe; 2020/03/16 at 09:29 PM.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to swakop_toe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Valleydog View Post
    First correct answer!

Again. Go tell the motogp racers they have more control when standing up.

Please let us know if they gave you the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboef View Post

You cannot compare standing up going in a straight line at relatively slow speeds to going around a corner at high speed. You definitely have more control tilting the bike between cars when standing vs sitting. When standing, you can tilt the bike left or right without changing the centre of gravity. Not so easy when sitting.

I don’t understand all the standing up riding on the street, a lot of the kids are doing here too

Guess I’m getting old...
    David -
    ‘20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Decal Edition 3.5L

If your only tools are a cutting torch and hammer, all of your problems are locomotives...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    You cannot compare standing up going in a straight line at relatively slow speeds to going around a corner at high speed. You definitely have more control tilting the bike between cars when standing vs sitting. When standing, you can tilt the bike left or right without changing the centre of gravity. Not so easy when sitting.
    Nee maar ok dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboef View Post

its not the same. Motogp are cornering at over 100kph, thats why they get low.

When you are standing on a bike (Adv bikes especially) you then move your weight around easier if you are standing and you have more flex points (Feet, knees, elbows,hips etc) vs just elbows and hips when you are sitting

Have a look at this video. He gives some reasons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pwOB5I1m7Q

As for why doing it in traffic? Probably just being idiots , probably thinking it makes them safer?
    Last edited by MartinBravo; 2020/03/17 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    No, sorry. The C of G moves higher.
    Do you own a motorcycle?

For me the danger in standing up while lane splitting is when you have to suddenly brake hard. You will not have enough time to first sit down and then brake. If you brake hard while standing you WILL go over the handle bars.
    Flip le Roux
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4 Auto
    2016 Jurgens Exclusive
    2014 BMW R1200RT
    2016 BMW F800GS ADV
    2016 Kia Picanto - Swambo
    2019 2.2 Ranger D/C XLS 4x4 Auto - Work
    GP0015

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Riekielouw For This Useful Post:

Edit - Ignore, I don't have the energy.
    Last edited by RobH; 2020/03/17 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingbat View Post
    Do you own a motorcycle?
    CoG goes higher when you stand up, whether you own a bike or not. Simple maths determins the CoG

Control via your weight on the foot rests vs weight on the seat is a totally different thing, and not related to CoG.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    CoG goes higher when you stand up, whether you own a bike or not. Simple maths determins the CoG

Control via your weight on the foot rests vs weight on the seat is a totally different thing, and not related to CoG.
    Standing up lowers the CoG of the bike and increases the CoG of the person, resulting in a higher CoG of the whole system. Control of the bike is easier at low speeds if the CoG of the bike is lowered by standing on the foot rests.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisF View Post
    Standing up lowers the CoG of the bike and increases the CoG of the person, resulting in a higher CoG of the whole system. Control of the bike is easier at low speeds if the CoG of the bike is lowered by standing on the foot rests.
    Nope. CoG of the bike stays the same whether you sit or stand. You are confusing CoG with the result of the point where the rider's body weight is being applied to, with the resultant change in handling characteristic.

You can only lower the COG of a bike by adding or transferring fixed weights below it's standard CoG. Your foot and lower leg is not part of this equation. It simply transfers the force of your body weight. External forces do not change the CoG of an object.

When cornering on a race bike, the combined driver and bike CoG play a role. They are basically one unit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast