Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gate motor batteries

What should the life expectancy of a gate motor battery be? I have an D5 evo Centurion gate motor.

I have changed the battery twice in two years so the current one is probably about a maximum of 12 months old. Yesterday in load shedding the gate opened and closed and then would not work again until the power came back on.

Could there be an underlying problem. A gate technician was here during the last 12 months and replaced something that charges the battery.
    Kevin
    2016 VW Polo Vivo 1.4
    2014 Mitsubishi Outlander (wife's car).
    1969 Series IIa 109 station wagon (Chev 3800 engine) Sold

Default Re: Gate motor batteries

Got 2 of the same motors on the complex gates.

One of the batteries was giving hassles and would go flat well before the other during LS. After a bit of checking found that the power supply in the motor was busy packing up and had then eventually did pack up.

Quite easy to replace got an original spare from Centurion themselves, but I know most security shops supply them.

We lived with the 'busy packing up" for about a year and did not suspect the PS. So it does not just pack up. Maybe check yours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Festi1 For This Useful Post:

Fitted my Gemini motor with a 12ah battery, its just wider than a 7ah, it can go for 2 or 3 days use before flat.

Our fence battery is the same as gate. The one I changed 2 days back was just over a year old. Some batteries do not last long. An other one of the same make can last a very long time. They are not the same.

An other one of those small batteries may have retired last night. It is in UPS to keep items running around one TV. Not an old battery. I doubt that I can get a replacement for it now.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Roodekrans/Of die groot sand van die Kalahari

You don't have a garantee on the batteries. So if they last a year consider yourself lucky. Unless you buy very expensive batteries.
    Take one cable of the battery.
    Measure the volts...... Should be above 10.5 Vdc at least.
    Measure what is on the cables without connecting it back to the battery.
    Should be > 12 Vdc you can check that on the motor data sheet. I cannot remember exactly.
    Leave the battery disconnected and verify the voltage decay over a few hours. A bad battery decay quite fast.
    Check the terminals. Sometimes they get corrosion on.
    Check and ask questions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to K2l2h2r1 For This Useful Post:

I am recalling from memory, but in the display options on the controller, there is a field showing three parameters, charge, battery and charger, each has a tick next to it if all are working properly. I had a similar issue a year or two ago and it turned out to be the charger, it was around R500 to replace at the Centurion agents here in Pretoria, close to the CSIR.

Regarding the battery - the main display shows the state of the battery drop (a bar graph) when you open the gate, see if it drops significantly, which could point to a bad battery. If you have a bad charger, it will also show a big drain on the battery. It could be one or the other, or both.
    Last edited by OettingerTDi; 2020/03/12 at 08:29 AM.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
    2007 VW Caddy Life TDi
    2004 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
    1997 Citigolf 1.3

I think those batteries are rated to last like a year, two at most. Easy to replace, and cheap-ish. Load shedding takes its toll on these batteries. I have to replace the battery of my alarm system at home now. Going higher cap gel. Hopefully it'll last a bit longer.

A fully charged battery should be at 12.6 V. The charger should put out 13.8 V for float charge / standby use such as in a gate motor, that is when disconnected or when the battery is fully charged, otherwise the charge current may pull down the chargerís output voltage somewhat. This can be easily checked with a multimeter.

Those D5 Centurion motors run off the battery every time the gate is moved, as the charger alone cannot provide sufficient current, especially when the gate is large and heavy. So the charger gives everything it can and the battery supplies the shortfall when the gate is moving. Therefore, a marginal battery might still work net-net when the power is on, but fail to move the gate all the way or at all during a blackout.

Temperature is a killer for these batteries, it does not help at all that they are sitting on float charge all day long in the full sun. If you can cause some shade over the motor cover by some means it might help a lot. A white 20 litre gifkan that is cut to the proper shape works well - utilitarian but probably not pretty enough to pass the scrutiny of the mandatory kermgat types at the annual general meeting for a sectional title complex... perhaps an interim plan while the bushes still need to grow. Or just change it out yearly.

Toxxyc is correct. Load shedding is hard on batteries. Buy your batteries from a battery shop like PDS, PSS or S&P Power Units not from a electronic or security shop. R150 a month ago. You get Gel and other 7Ah batteries and then 9Ah and up. But they get progressively expensive.
    Last edited by Spiceman; 2020/03/12 at 09:12 AM.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

My Gate motor has a low voltage (16V AC) feed from the house to the motor and battery, as result the battery is always used when the gate operates ( the lov voltage supply cant supply the 3A used by the motor.) so even when eskom is available the battery is used and i believe this is why the battery life tends to be 3years in my case.

I recently put in a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery in in the hope that its more resilient to regular loading

Do these items not all work from the same type/strength/voltage batteries: Gate motor / Alarm system / Electric Fence ?
    My alarm system's batteries need replacement....been running for about 18 moths... I am now actually "pushing the limits" with them
    The Gate motor about 1 year old... but still good.
    Where can one buy these batteries from... do you have to take inn / back the old ones for exchange?
    Pappa se trokkie - 2012 Isuzu KB 250 4x2 (KB72)

Swambo se faithfull - Hyundai ix35 2.0 GL /Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Nuweling View Post
    Do these items not all work from the same type/strength/voltage batteries: Gate motor / Alarm system / Electric Fence ?
    My alarm system's batteries need replacement....been running for about 18 moths... I am now actually "pushing the limits" with them
    Where can one buy these batteries from... do you have to take inn / back the old ones for exchange?
    All are 12V. There are 2 basic sizes. 7 and 17 Ah. Some are 18Ah. Normally places do not take anything back. In our case step son takes them to scrap dealer. He is into alarms had there is a lot of batteries to sell.

It might be difficult to get replacements now. Last 2 I did buy from China shops. Alarm shops and many other places sell them IF there is stock. China has not been supplying.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

It seems I am one of the VERY lucky ones with my gate motor battery.

My Centurion D5 gate motor was installed September 2012 and to date I have not had to replace the battery.

That's more than 7 years life out of the battery so far and touch wood it is still going strong. Working just fine during loadshedding also.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. Just bought another battery. Security shop people also confirmed that load shedding kills these batteries and should consider one year as about max.
    Kevin
    2016 VW Polo Vivo 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Nuweling View Post
    I'm planning one of these as a replacement for my alarm system: https://www.takealot.com/securi-prod...a/PLID46663137

Gel SHOULD last a bit longer, and as I have it some battery places will buy back old batteries. I was told it's like R30 or something for one of those, so I'm thinking "I have a new doorstop".

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I was told it's like R30 or something for one of those, so I'm thinking "I have a new doorstop".
    Iemand gaan 'n toon verloor...
    Pappa se trokkie - 2012 Isuzu KB 250 4x2 (KB72)

Swambo se faithfull - Hyundai ix35 2.0 GL /Premium

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuweling For This Useful Post:

It is all about the quality of the battery. Most places sell the cheap Chinese 7 ah batteries of suspect quality from about R170 to about R190. These will only just make a year.

My local hardware store stocks the better quality 7ah battery and I find that although just over R200, they tend to last 3 or 4 years. I have now had one of them installed for my alarm for about 6 years and it lasts the full 4 hrs of loadshedding.

The other problem is of course, where the charger has not fully charged the battery and the next bout of loadshedding comes around, eventually the battery runs flat. If that happens twice or three times, that battery is toast, irrespective the quality.

On the other side of the coin, 4x4direct.co.za sells a gell version of the 7ah battery. That should last a hack of a lot longer as well, Just ensure that your chargers's output is in the region of 14.2 volts to keep this boy going. I fitted a gell battery to my one big heavy gate, but I took out the standard charger (powerpack) and fitted my small Ctek 0.8a intelligent charger in its place. So far, so good (since Oct/Nov last year).
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

In my experience: Once a year on my Centurion D5, Electric fence replacement every 1,6 months-Loadshedding screws them up. The latest replacement was on the Fence, gave a 13v reading when you test it-disconnected-but under load it does not perform. Connected it to the PSA008 charger, set it to "recondition" and now the battery works fine, even under load. It is now used in a small a battery box i built to charge cellphones. Charger used on the Battery box is a new National Luna NL1.

Quote Originally Posted by K2l2h2r1 View Post
    You don't have a garantee on the batteries. So if they last a year consider yourself lucky. Unless you buy very expensive batteries.
    Take one cable of the battery.
    Measure the volts...... Should be above 10.5 Vdc at least.
    Measure what is on the cables without connecting it back to the battery.
    Should be > 12 Vdc you can check that on the motor data sheet. I cannot remember exactly.
    Leave the battery disconnected and verify the voltage decay over a few hours. A bad battery decay quite fast.
    Check the terminals. Sometimes they get corrosion on.
    Check and ask questions.
    When I disconnected the battery it was 13.46 volts. I have left it for four hours disconnected and it is now 13.20 volts.

Would that be considered fast decay?
    Kevin
    2016 VW Polo Vivo 1.4

Roodekrans/Of die groot sand van die Kalahari

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie View Post
    When I disconnected the battery it was 13.46 volts. I have left it for four hours disconnected and it is now 13.20 volts.

Would that be considered fast decay?
    That sounds ok. Did you checked the power supply. Measure the wires without connecting to battery?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to K2l2h2r1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast