Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Metalian Genie Super Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vstromPE View Post
    Hi, does anyone have photos showing the water tank in the Genie? Looking for ideas.
    Hi VStrom

Have recently fitted the 80l water tank. I lay down 10mm high density foam on base as well as at top and bottom ends just to add some protection, particularly for the nuts that were sticking out on far end. The tank lies quite snugly in the well and once filled with water I doubt there will be any movement. Now for the plumbing!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    Hi VStrom

Have recently fitted the 80l water tank. I lay down 10mm high density foam on base as well as at top and bottom ends just to add some protection, particularly for the nuts that were sticking out on far end. The tank lies quite snugly in the well and once filled with water I doubt there will be any movement. Now for the plumbing!
    Thanks Zappa, we managed to order the tank from Metalian, and was wondering about some kind of protection. Would be interested to see how you plumb it.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

I have a shipment with a few goodies in it arriving end August . Amongst this is a new through panel elbow with pipe coupling both ends. This is going to make home plumbing a breeze. I'd still recommend only to draw water out of the top, even if you're going to use a syphon system.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    I have a shipment with a few goodies in it arriving end August . Amongst this is a new through panel elbow with pipe coupling both ends. This is going to make home plumbing a breeze. I'd still recommend only to draw water out of the top, even if you're going to use a syphon system.
    Hi Heinz. Definitely interested cos there is not much space between top of water tank and slide, so a 90 degree close fitting coupling will be required.

Will wait to hear from you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:

Hi Heinz. Definitely interested cos there is not much space between top of water tank and slide, so a 90 degree close fitting coupling will be required.

Will wait to hear from you.

Hi Heinz. Any news on the plumbing bits?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:

Hi Heinz. Any news on the plumbing bits?
    Container is still in China grouping various parts. Guess it will only leave in about a weeks time soonest. I have one sample on my desk. Send me a whattsapp 082 650 9636, and I'll do a short video - maybe it is too big for your application anyway, and I don't want to waste your time.

I finally got to take my Genie out for it's first trip - it was meant to happen in October last year, but the water tank was being fitted.

I haven't done much to my trailer, except added a few accessories like the frontrunner roof rack. At the moment I carry a Howling Moon Whizz tent, but I will probably look at getting either a RTT or TTT in the near future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kagga Kamma 003 IMG_20210730_175119.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	841.8 KB 
ID:	626217

Took off to Kagga Kamma and stayed at Bobbejanskrans camp site for 3 nights under the stars. The Genie towed extremely well behind my GV and was very easy on the twisty passes leading to the reserve. Once off road, she once again towed very nicely on the corrugated gravel roads, through thick sand, up and down rocky tracks ... never an issue.

I took along a cadac deluxe 2 plate gas cooker, which has the extra plates for grilling and frying, and fits perfectly in the long shelf of the kitchen unit.

Name:	Kagga Kamma 015 IMG_20210731_082724.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	626218 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kagga Kamma 078 IMG_20210801_095838.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	975.3 KB 
ID:	626219 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kagga Kamma 005 IMG_20210730_195441.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	626221

I also took an Alva portable gas geyser shower unit, and used the submersible pump to extract water from the tank. (I will start working on a better water solution now - I would like to add a 40mm filler, and then a pump and outlet piping, but haven't made up my mind where this will all go). The Alva geyser and gas were carried in my nose cone.

Name:	Dave water extraction.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	626220

I will get another "floor board" made up in the larger kitchen area to cover the secret drawer and give a flat storage area with underside storage there - I already have one covering the battery compartment.

The rear storage area was just about perfect for what I needed to carry, and worked very well - I used my rear drawer to carry my chairs, some groundsheets and blankets - but I do now want to have to always take the drawer out to access the water tank, so this will be remedied.

The two small side compartments now work great after I have water and dust-proofed them - they are surprisingly spacious and I use one to store my spare fluids for the GV (oil, atf, radiator fluid, diff oil) and the other for all the electrical cables and light and solar controller.

Name:	Kagga Kamma 025 IMG_20210731_111054.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	626222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kagga Kamma 020 IMG_20210731_091017.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	626223

I would also like to add the front runner table holder under the trailer roof rack - but will only do this after I decide what to do tent wise.

At this point in time my second battery and charging system remain in my GV, and my fridge will remain there too ... I am travelling very light now that the trailer is carrying the load, and my towball hitch weight was a mere 35 kgs with full water tank and the two front jerry cans filled too.

Name:	Kagga Kamma 114 IMG_20210802_104538.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	389.2 KB 
ID:	626224

So all in all, very happy camper - loved my first trailer camping experience and looking forward to many more with the little trailer that wants to go explore with me ....

https://youtu.be/w3at92w4DCo
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2021/08/13 at 05:07 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone,

First off, thanks to everyone sharing their Genie's, all these posts helped a lot when we were designing ours and this thread was what lead us to strongly consider the Metalian after a previous visit to the factory.

I picked up the family's new Genie trailer last week from the factory. Metalian has done an awesome job and they went to a lot of extra effort to customize some of the items and explore some of the ideas we had RE the Genie build.

Here are some pics

Towing it home. The Howling Moon RTT on the Paj will go onto the Genie. We upgraded to the R15 rims simply to have a wider tyre selection available.

Name:	IMG_20210813_151437.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	450.8 KB 
ID:	626550

We specced the older sqaure nose cone design with the idea of fitting the jerry cans there and also having a flat rack on top for strapping down firewood. No fridge in the trailer at all. Jerry will only be filled when needed and used asap.

Name:	IMG_20210813_160847.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	739.4 KB 
ID:	626551

Its got a nice compact kitchen on the side. You can also see the water pump hidden in the back there. Plenty storage in the front nosecone.

Name:	IMG_20210813_160921.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	662.5 KB 
ID:	626554

Rear storage area and drawers.

Name:	IMG_20210813_160955.jpg 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	626555

220v inlet, Harrison feed, hella plug and water tank inlet.

Name:	IMG_20210813_161017.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	394.0 KB 
ID:	626556

Water tank outlet to the pump

Name:	IMG_20210813_191432.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	626557

I spent most of the weekend running lights to the major compartments. Also hooked up the water pump to the fuse box and ran a 12V line from the trailer to the vehicle along with fuses.

Name:	IMG_20210815_191236.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	626558

We also had a custom external tent and fly sheet made by Metalian. Once I have mounted the RTT I will share the pics of how it all links together.

Leaving this weekend with the old man to take it for a test run. We are heading through the Namaqua National Park to check out the flowers, the onto the orange river, and then 5 nights in the Kgalagadi.

Thanks to Heinz and his team

Cheers

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hello everyone,

First off, thanks to everyone sharing their Genie's, all these posts helped a lot when we were designing ours and this thread was what lead us to strongly consider the Metalian after a previous visit to the factory.

I picked up the family's new Genie trailer last week from the factory. Metalian has done an awesome job and they went to a lot of extra effort to customize some of the items and explore some of the ideas we had RE the Genie build.

Here are some pics

Towing it home. The Howling Moon RTT on the Paj will go onto the Genie. We upgraded to the R15 rims simply to have a wider tyre selection available.

Name:	IMG_20210813_151437.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	450.8 KB 
ID:	626550

We specced the older sqaure nose cone design with the idea of fitting the jerry cans there and also having a flat rack on top for strapping down firewood. No fridge in the trailer at all. Jerry will only be filled when needed and used asap.

Name:	IMG_20210813_160847.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	739.4 KB 
ID:	626551

Its got a nice compact kitchen on the side. You can also see the water pump hidden in the back there. Plenty storage in the front nosecone.

Name:	IMG_20210813_160921.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	662.5 KB 
ID:	626554

Rear storage area and drawers.

Name:	IMG_20210813_160955.jpg 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	626555

220v inlet, Harrison feed, hella plug and water tank inlet.

Name:	IMG_20210813_161017.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	394.0 KB 
ID:	626556

Water tank outlet to the pump

Name:	IMG_20210813_191432.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	626557

I spent most of the weekend running lights to the major compartments. Also hooked up the water pump to the fuse box and ran a 12V line from the trailer to the vehicle along with fuses.

Name:	IMG_20210815_191236.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	626558

We also had a custom external tent and fly sheet made by Metalian. Once I have mounted the RTT I will share the pics of how it all links together.

Leaving this weekend with the old man to take it for a test run. We are heading through the Namaqua National Park to check out the flowers, the onto the orange river, and then 5 nights in the Kgalagadi.

Thanks to Heinz and his team

Cheers
    Very nice congratulations - the colour is awesome!

Who did your plumbing and strapping down of the water tank?

Sure you are going to have an awesome trip!

Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Very nice congratulations - the colour is awesome!

Who did your plumbing and strapping down of the water tank?

Sure you are going to have an awesome trip!
    Hi,

Thanks. Agreed the colour turned out great.

The team at metalian took care of it all. I just requested the placement for the outlet quick release for the tap.

Cheers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hi,

Thanks. Agreed the colour turned out great.

The team at metalian took care of it all. I just requested the placement for the outlet quick release for the tap.

Cheers
    Looking forward to your trip report , you are going to have an awesome time

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

20. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Little kitchen mod, moved left side shelf higher and added a little light weight Ali drawer underneath.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vstromPE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vstromPE View Post
    Little kitchen mod, moved left side shelf higher and added a little light weight Ali drawer underneath.
    Thanks for this. Please can you post a pic of how you attached slide on the nose-cone wall.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:

Added some aluminium rear drawers on locking runners.
    Drawer System (self)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vstromPE For This Useful Post:

Test fitting the electrical panel, now to connect and test.
    Drawer System (self)

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vstromPE For This Useful Post:

Made a start at fixing and plumbing in the tank.
    Drawer System (self)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to vstromPE For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Metalian Genie - Water Installation

To add my 2c to the build process , there have been some great ideas put down already.

I have never done any plumbing work so this was quite intimidating to me - I realised that if you don't even know what things are called , it is very hard to search for them. As it was, one thing led to another and word of mouth found me what I needed - starting with getting my pump from C-Dynamics who led me to Seaport Supply all in Paarden Eiland in the Cape, where I got most of my plumbing supplies - once I realised if it was good enough for marine life it was good enough for the trailer.

I started with a Shurflo 7l/min pump from C-Dynamics, and then built up around that. I had bought a Fiamma lockable water fill cap from takealot.com, and that has a 38mm pipe connector, but shortly after getting VERY expensive 38mm ID food grade pipe with steel inlay I realised that the pipe was complete overkill for my application, AND it was too big to fit between the tank and the drawer bottom. So back to the drawing board - this is how the learning process went - it was expensive, but I learnt a lot.

The water tank project had 3 requirements 1)prevent it moving and protect it 2)get the water in 3) get the water out.

1) I decided to strap it down literally using tie down straps which could be looped around the metal strips at the back, with some pipe around them to buffer the tank from those odd bolts at the end of the tank compartment. the straps go over the tank, and i added toe down loops at the bottom of the trailer for them to attach to, fastened with m8 stainless steel bolts to the trailer. I also added some 25mm aluminium equal angle at the bottom, which then gave the water tank a really snug fit. Finally I added some 1.5mm insertion rubber matting under the tank - this stops absolutely all movement.

Name:	Metalian Build-011.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	630979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-012.jpg 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	630980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-014.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	630981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-015.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	630982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-028.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	630983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-029.jpg 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	630984

2)To get the water in - I had to cut a hole in my trailer - this was ouch! I decided to do it at the front right as I could then keep it under the interior shelf, and be able to feed the filling pipe unobtrusively. I stuck the filler down with Sikaflex 291i, which I used throughout the build, and then screwed it down to the trailer body.

Name:	Metalian Build-002.jpg 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	630988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-003.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	630989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-004.jpg 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	630990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-006.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	630991

As mentioned the 38mm pipe was way too big to fit between the tank and the trailer, and the biggest obstacle with all the fittings was the 35mm space to work with - so everything had to be low profile. I reduced from 38m to 25mm filler pipe, and that fit perfectly

I decided to bring the filler all the way round to the very back of the trailer and upper side of the tank , using a 25m right angle bulkhead connector.

Name:	Metalian Build-025.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	630992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-057.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	630993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-034.jpg 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	630994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-031.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	630985

3) Getting the water out. Now I could get the water in I needed to get the water to the pump and then out of the trailer. I wasn't sure where I was going to put any of the components, and was originally going to take the water out of the front of the trailer, but changed to the back! Anyhow, found some low profile right angle 20mm to 12mm bulkhead connectors and used one for the pump outlet and one for the breather.

I was just going to use flexible pipe, but decided to use John Guest speedfit fittings and pipe - it added a LOT to the price, but what a pleasure to work with. I settled on the pump sitting on the floor at an angle to accommodate the filter and fittings and did a complete route out to the rear, using the channels in the trailer. To finish it off I made myself some more carpeted shelves with 9mm plywood and auto carpeting which I matched with the existing covers.

Name:	Metalian Build-022.jpg 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	630996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-021.jpg 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	630997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-041.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	630998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-052.jpg 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	630999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-050.jpg 
Size:	288.4 KB 
ID:	631000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-047.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	631001

Final step was getting it out of the trailer - I went for a Frontrunner tap kit, as it had all the items I needed plus some reinforced metal bits to give support to the trailer walls - yes, another hole but nearly there ... the tap is a nice 90 degree turn close to open, lockable unit which works really well for my needs.

Name:	Metalian Build-084.jpg 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	631002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-086.jpg 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	631003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-087.jpg 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	631004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-088.jpg 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	631005

The proof is in the pudding ....

Last edited by daveysmith; 2021/09/27 at 04:14 PM.

Metalian Genie Trailer

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Default Metalian Genie - Electrics Installation

My electrics installation was considerably simpler than my water build. All I needed was 2 lights, power for the water pump, and outputs for hella, cigarette lighter and USB charging. Inputs would be solar only - I do not require any link to the car while driving as my fridge stays in the car.

Primary question was where to fit it - originally I was going to put it on the rear panel, then I though the inner right panel, then I moved back to the rear panel at an angle for easier access. I also found that if I mounted aluminium equal angle at he side and top of the panel, I could use existing holes in the shelf and dividing panel to support it.

Name:	Metalian Build-073.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	631006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-078.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	362.7 KB 
ID:	631007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-080.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	631008

I went for a standard grey light switch with 15A switching capabaility, and bought a fuse box plugs and other accessories from 4x4direct. Unfortunately they left some of the items out of my package and attempts to contact them by phone and email have been unsuccessful - hopefully there will be no warranty issues, as there is no service there, which is a pity as the original ordering process was quite pleasant.

I incorporated a 60A circuit breaker as the main switch and isolator, and fused my circuits accordingly . I obtained two National Luna bi-colour LED lights from Outdoor warehouse - what lovely kit, very low current draw, multi-power output and touch button operation - love them. I mounted the rear one on the dividing wall in the rear of the trailer, and the other above the kitchen table using some T brackets and generous pratley's steel putty sculpturing - very happy with the end results ...

Name:	Metalian Build-064.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	631009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-083.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	631010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-089.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	631011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metalian Build-090.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	631012
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2021/09/27 at 09:15 AM.

Metalian Genie Trailer

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

My hot water solution...

My problem with most hot water solutions is that they only really work next to the trailer. Sometimes when I camp, I would like my shower to not be right next to the trailer....

For this reason I bought an Alva, portable hot water geyser.

The Alva portable gas geyser comes with a submersible 12V pump, which needs its own 12V supply. While this is fine right next to the 12V source, it is a pain when you want to use the geyser away from the trailer... you need to carry the geyser, a source of pumpable water, a 12V electrical extension, and the gas to wherever you want to use it.

Using the Alva portable gas geyser with my trailer 7lpm pump, I just need a hose extension and the gas with the geyser and I can comfortably have hot water up to 10m from the trailer - so I can set up a shower tent, or shower with a view away from the trailer.

Last edited by daveysmith; 2021/10/10 at 04:24 PM.

Metalian Genie Trailer

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Good day.

What is the best method to secure the stainless steel locking bar? I use the tiniest lock available but there is still some movement between the bar and the latch. Cable ties are the answer, however the waste is too much to cut them off every time.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zappa; 2021/10/19 at 02:55 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast