Manual grinder, moka pot and small gas stove

My happy place

Name:  IMG_5896.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  29.6 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilFourie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Camping coffee: share your preferred way

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Jeez, it seems like I'm way below all of your camping standards.

I simply use a kettle and the same Nescafe Gold/Jacobs or a little cappuccino sachet like at home...
    Come on in, and discover life!
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by NeilFourie View Post
    Manual grinder, moka pot and small gas stove

My happy place

Name:  IMG_5896.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  29.6 KB
    Cool photo....and winner Bialetti combo
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheetah For This Useful Post:

I don't have a manual grinder so if I'm going to a place that I know doesn't have electricity then I grind enough beans at home for the trip. Then its either just a normal glass plunger or a small bialetti(I usually take both along).

To the Aeropress fundies....how do you guys/gals get crema?

I’ve tried fresher beans I grind myself. Also tried different coarseness. I did notice a very nice/pleasant different taste between the aeropress and my French plunger.

I will try other sources of fresh beans as well...will play around with it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    is this bialetti one you all raving about the one in the 500 to 600 buck range ?

Yes, but don't make the same mistake I did and buy too small. I bought myself a 2 cup and in retrospect a 3 or even 4 would have been better.
    I like strong coffee, the 2 cup hardly fills half of a normal coffee mug, when I then top it up with hot water, my coffee is spoiled.
    At some point I'll buy myself a bigger one, but for now I enjoy my Aeropress.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

There is always a easy short cut without the hassle, nobody pull their eyes when you utter the word coffee. Delicious and easy.

Bestandele:
    3 Koppies witsuiker
    3 Koppies baie sterk moerkoffie (klaar getrek)- die lepel moet somner regop staan )
    3 Koppies kookwater
    ˝ Teelepel sout

Metode:
    Roer suiker oor lae hitte in kastrol tot gekarmaliseerd
    Voeg moerkoffie by
    Roer oor lae hitte vir 10 tot 15 min (om koffiesterkte te verhoog)
    Gooi eerste 2 koppies kookwater by, bietjie vir bietjie (wees versigtig, kan vinnig oorkook) roer aan houdend vir 2 minute
    Voeg dan res van kookwater by, bietjies bietjies..1/4 koppie op ‘n slag, roer aan houdend.
    Voeg sout by, roer goed deur
    Laat goed afkoel.
    Filter deur baie fyn siffie, of lappie om enige gemaalde koffie te af skei .
    Wanneer goed afgekoel, bottel dit en bere in yskas
    Gebruik een teelepel kofffiestroop per koppie, halwe koppie kookwater en halwe koppie kookmelk…
    Self beter met net gekookte melk….

Thumbs up Re: Camping coffee: share your preferred way

Quote Originally Posted by HerrRudiger View Post
    I've recently bought an Aeropress: a very simple, lightweight tool that allows you to brew a very nice cup of coffee with just some hot water and coffee ground. Normally, when camping I would use my Mocha pot or make a moerkoffie because I absolutely cannot stand to drink instant coffee, but the feeling of coffee residue in my mouth always left me wanting something else.

Having tested it this weekend, I am so happy with the taste and convenience that I've also bought a handgrinder and a batch of some freshly roasted coffee beans. And so, I'm turning into quite the bush-coffeesnob. I probably have better coffee when camping then at home..

This left me wondering, how do you like/have your coffee in the bush?
    I love coffee and at home i have the full 9 yards but out in the sticks it is like this:

I have a old big pot ketel . I fill it with water put it in the fire and hand grind and add it direct in the kettle. I leave it until it boils . Take the kettle out of the fire . Open the lid and then push a red hot piece of wood(Cole) into the kettle hold it there until the profuse boiling stop . Remove the wood . Put the lid back and pour the coffee. what you find is that the "moer" lay down in the pot. I pour a clean cup without moer just like that. My youngest son is full of nonsense and for him i just pour thru a coffee cloth . But in is not really necessary.

That is my style and i love like that . I also made few bucks from those who bet me something that it is bullish.....normal forcing me to make a kettle right there and then to proof it . For 50 bugs i start straight away and it is all smiles after that .

people ask what coffee do i prefer i ask them what is your favorite wood and they do not know "####" until i teach them cofee my style with different woods.

so i guess what is your favorite wood . They all taste different after the Red hot Cole

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post

If it's a minimalist trip or if I travel light then I take my aeropress with Porlex mini hand grinder. The Porlex nests inside the aeropress, with the handle under a rubber strap. I use an Able steel filter with the aeropress.

I really like the aeropress, I use it a lot at home.
    If I need to buy now I'll get the Aeropress Go.
    https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/produc...o-coffee-maker
    It appeals to my minimalist love, couple it with a cup/mug that will serve as a kettle and it rings all my gadget bells.
    That first cup of coffee is what I look forward to. Traveling I am in this camp with the Porlex, Able medium filter and Aeropress, or in my case, the Stanley French Press; just grind the fresh beans a little coarser. I'm told that any grinder that doesn't generate heat is good for the not so advanced, otherwise you start spending real money. I like the Aeropress Go Travel but pity the container wasn't metal so you could boil the water in it. Must buy another Moka pot though. Some experts are still looking for the ideal travel expresso which will push the water through under pressure. There was a bicycle pump looking thing but it was expensive and a prototype as I understand it.

After living in Vietnam for two years, I came to love the ubiquitous, simple drip coffee filters they use. You can make really powerful coffee if used correctly and you need to use the right grind and type to suit the way you make it. If you can get your hands on Vietnamese ground coffee that's really best suited to the wonderful flavours that can be extracted. Simple, effective, hardy. You just need ground coffee and hot water. They are available in different sizes so you can make strong espressos for a whole family!

If you love really strong coffee this is a great tool

Last edited by chopwet; 2020/03/23 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    There is always a easy short cut without the hassle, nobody pull their eyes when you utter the word coffee. Delicious and easy.

Bestandele:
    3 Koppies witsuiker
    3 Koppies baie sterk moerkoffie (klaar getrek)- die lepel moet somner regop staan )
    3 Koppies kookwater
    ˝ Teelepel sout

Metode:
    Roer suiker oor lae hitte in kastrol tot gekarmaliseerd
    Voeg moerkoffie by
    Roer oor lae hitte vir 10 tot 15 min (om koffiesterkte te verhoog)
    Gooi eerste 2 koppies kookwater by, bietjie vir bietjie (wees versigtig, kan vinnig oorkook) roer aan houdend vir 2 minute
    Voeg dan res van kookwater by, bietjies bietjies..1/4 koppie op ‘n slag, roer aan houdend.
    Voeg sout by, roer goed deur
    Laat goed afkoel.
    Filter deur baie fyn siffie, of lappie om enige gemaalde koffie te af skei .
    Wanneer goed afgekoel, bottel dit en bere in yskas
    Gebruik een teelepel kofffiestroop per koppie, halwe koppie kookwater en halwe koppie kookmelk…
    Self beter met net gekookte melk….
    Oujare se spoorwegkoffie op die trein....pure bliss

Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkNV View Post
    I used to make cowboy coffee, boiling water in a pot on the camp stove, then adding ground coffee letting it sit five minutes or so...

...now I’ve gone soft and use coffee in a bag
    All this modern appliances - for me an aluminium coffee percolator ( with the glass thing on top)
    Raaadsaal or Koffiehuis coffee ( I dont mind the chicory) . Percolate for a long time and drink from a
    tin mug with lots of condensed milk !! Oh and stir in the sugar with a stick with an ember on the end.
    Nothing better!! so I agree with aardvark - I think we would make good camping partners. ( do you also like
    toast made over a fire with braai grid??
    regards fred

Red face Re: Camping coffee: share your preferred way

Quote Originally Posted by HerrRudiger View Post
    I've recently bought an Aeropress: a very simple, lightweight tool that allows you to brew a very nice cup of coffee with just some hot water and coffee ground. Normally, when camping I would use my Mocha pot or make a moerkoffie because I absolutely cannot stand to drink instant coffee, but the feeling of coffee residue in my mouth always left me wanting something else.

Having tested it this weekend, I am so happy with the taste and convenience that I've also bought a handgrinder and a batch of some freshly roasted coffee beans. And so, I'm turning into quite the bush-coffeesnob. I probably have better coffee when camping then at home..

This left me wondering, how do you like/have your coffee in the bush?
    Call me old fashioned but as far as I'm concerned A brakwater billy suspended on a Rosyntjiebos tripod With a half-mug of van Riebeek and a pinch of salt is the best. A smouldering Kameeltak will settle the moere and a dash of Amarula (or condensed milk if it's at sunrise) will provide milk and sweetness. En dan kan die nag (of dag) maar kom!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zac For This Useful Post:

I'm serious about coffee - I've roasted my own beans for about 20 years now. I prefer espresso coffee, and have used a lot of gadgets over the years. The Aeropress, moka pots and others like a Flair are too fiddly for me - too many parts and too many bits to wash and keep track of. I did use one of those huge moka pots on one trip and it was OK.

I do have one gadget - a 1st version Staresso, which I liked so much I bought another. It can use Nespresso pods or ground coffee. I have a 12V blade coffee grinder, but I only use it for plunge pot (French press) as it will not grind fine enough for espresso. I've tried a few hand grinders, but never found a good one and they are Just. So. Slow. I did Kickstart a rechargeable hand grinder, which works but still not fine enough (or consistent enough) for espresso (no matter what they claim).

So the Staresso is used with commercial espresso like Illy. I grind my own beans for daily coffee in the 12V grinder and make plunge pot as it makes multiple cups at once. I can also take a few Nespresso pods as well - like decaf for those heathens :-)

Daily coffee is made in the plunge pot - I have a few, but tend to use a polycarbonate double-wall model that holds the heat well and is tough enough for bush use.

http://www.staresso.com/
    Last edited by CanAmSteve; 2020/03/24 at 02:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3