May 2020 Botswana safari - will it happen?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default May 2020 Botswana safari - will it happen?

I have planned and booked my self-drive safari for this coming May 2020. All campsites were booked already in May-June 2019 to secure best sites and availability, flights from the USA, Vehicle etc.

Almost 10 months of countdown to the great day in late April (start flying).

Let's poll: Whom of you guys believe I will be able to actually do it by late April as Corona Virus world hysteria is spreading faster than bush fire

Default Re: May 2020 Botswana safari - will it happen?

Does this now include tourists (us) from South Africa as we are now also a Corona virus-impacted country? I am on the verge of paying all our deposits for a trip to Bots & Namibia Kavango East region.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell
    '18 Echo Chobe (sold)

I love the definition: "countries affected" - which by late April will most probably include all countries bar a couple of uninhabited islands in the north Pacific....

Do you think I can quarantine myself in Xakanaxa or Maghoto campsites

Quote Originally Posted by HennieC View Post
    Does this now include tourists (us) from South Africa as we are now also a Corona virus-impacted country? I am on the verge of paying all our deposits for a trip to Bots & Namibia Kavango East region.
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    I doubt anybody can give a serious advice at this moment. The situation is so fluid, changing on a daily basis and has little to do with real risk, rather with global hysteria propelled by news and unreasonable fears.

Quote Originally Posted by ernani_09 View Post
    I love the definition: "countries affected" - which by late April will most probably include all countries bar a couple of uninhabited islands in the north Pacific....

Do you think I can quarantine myself in Xakanaxa or Maghoto campsites
    I hope so, weíve booked and paid for campsites at both for June ...
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

Nooooooooo we are booked for end of June to CKGR, all paid.

Will keep an open mind and follow the news. Not being able to go will be a Massive disappointment!!!!!!
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

I wonder, if I go out and deliberately infect myself now, whether I can get a certificate of immunity and then travel freely?

I will now pour a double double Captain, this is CRAP news!! Realistic thinking or not, I am peeved!!!
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    I like it that your "corporation" will be appreciated; but seriously - what will happen? I have bookings for 4 days only, starting the 17th, in Kgalagadi........so are they going to keep me there, for free, for an extra 10 days?? Sounds like a bargain. Having paid already, I'm just going to pitch up at the border an see what happens.
    There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise

Sorry guys. Found that on Facebook and currently nobody can confirm if it is fake or not.

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Reading on the Bots Facebook group, seems this might not be a genuine notice. Canít see them playing hardball like this, theyíll just insist on medical clearance certificates or something.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

What I find most annoying is that these 'Booking Agents', of which there are many in Bots, who are very keen on taking your money, do not provide any real customer service. No use asking them if they are aware of any restrictions or details about the situation; they just do not seem to know anything or simply couldn't be bothered, once they have your bucks in their pocket. I have asked the agency, which booked my upcoming trip, for some clarification and they did not even reply. If I don't hear from them soon I will name them here. Very unprofessional in my opinion. It is their business and they should make an effort to be informed and inform their customers. But they will be the ones to cry if this virus really destroys their country's tourism, as seems quite likely to happen.
    There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise

This bulletin has been retracted by a further Bots Government bulletin.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

I ve read that the definitive descision will be made this monday. It was also on the radio in Bots today.
    I m from the Netherlands and they cannot do the corona test here annymore( they only test people working in the care sector ) because it s going so hard with the number of infected people and they don t have enough tests and man power.So people who feel ill have to stay at home for 14 days without testing. Italie will not help older people at the intensive care annymore because there are too many infected people 6000 now. Half of Italie is now in lock down. The number of people dying over there is high
    Very very sad

Quote Originally Posted by Alto View Post
    What I find most annoying is that these 'Booking Agents', of which there are many in Bots, who are very keen on taking your money, do not provide any real customer service. No use asking them if they are aware of any restrictions or details about the situation; they just do not seem to know anything or simply couldn't be bothered, once they have your bucks in their pocket. I have asked the agency, which booked my upcoming trip, for some clarification and they did not even reply. If I don't hear from them soon I will name them here. Very unprofessional in my opinion. It is their business and they should make an effort to be informed and inform their customers. But they will be the ones to cry if this virus really destroys their country's tourism, as seems quite likely to happen.
    Oh please. Don't be ridiculous. The situation is so fluid right now that nobody, let alone a booking agent in Maun or elsewhere, can tell you what the situation will be in the next 24 hours, let alone a week or a month. The governor of New York has just declared a state of emergency. The entire region of Lombardy in Italy has been placed under mandatory quarantine. Making any international travel plans right now is entirely at your own risk - as the head of the WHO says, "we are in uncharted territory."
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

So, if you drive from Nam to Joburg via the transkalahari Highway quarantine yourself for 14 days. So they are going to monitor every residence, lodge, campsite etc.. I think this is a bs story. Technically it is just not doable.
    2002 Discovery td5

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Oh please. Don't be ridiculous. ......... Making any international travel plans right now is entirely at your own risk - as the head of the WHO says, "we are in uncharted territory."
    You forget that most bookings to camps in Kgalagadi are made months and up to a year in advance. Anyway these 'agents' are on the ground in Botswana and SHOULD have first-hand information, it is their lively-hood, so they should go to some trouble to keep abreast of what goes on. Instead they leave their customers to rely on hear-say information from places like this forum.....totally unprofessional.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast