Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: Would you help someone in distress? My story.

Also wanted to add, the Anysberg Reserve is closed. Did they allow you access ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    Best descried as a mini satellite modem.

Allows you to send 150 character SMS's and emails to any number, and email address from anywhere at anytime.

BUT the best part is the person getting the message, can also send one back.

AND they have an emergency button, linked to the international rescue station. They communicated with you to asses how life threatening the danger is and take it from there. The local cavalry arrives with speed dependent on how serious it is.

As a side bar - it also has live tracking, where family member can follow you on a website link to you send them, or you can send one off location pings every night.

I will never go anywhere without this gadget.

There is a subscription fee payable.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    There is a subscription fee payable.
    Yes there is, you can buy a yearly sub - or do it on a month by month.

When we went to Zambia we did it for 2 months, then suspended it for our next trip which is Northern Natal in June this year.

The part I forgot to mention is it Bluetooths to your phone. So within the app it comes with you, you use your phone to send the emails and sms's like normal messages.

EDIT:

You can use and change the subscription package based on your needs - basic is like 50 message a month to unlimited messages, which I think was R450 for the month.
    The GPS tracking you send to others is always on (not sure about that though - need to confirm)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-ZA/ZA/p/592606
    Last edited by Slowones; 2020/03/05 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    This is totally unacceptable. I actually hope that the guy reads this, has serious remorse and sells his 4x4. I don't want people like this sharing trails or camp sites with me.
    Can't be too many 200VX's running around with CEA1***** plates.

What a box.

And yes, of course I'd help... bit of a silly question. If I was fearing for my life, then get on the towbar as OP said he would; but seriously I wouldn't make a 64 year old gentleman do that.

To be frank, I stop and help anyone and everyone I can. I love it. I can't get out and fix your car, but I sure as S*&t will pull it to where you need to go. Recovery kit is in the car and well used... what the F is the point of having it if you not going to help others.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD
    Youtube Channel <-- Click Here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    On the other hand, guys, we never know what the guy has gone through. Perhaps he was hijacked by a "fake victim" not too long ago? Has a wife and kids at home he's had to think of in such a situation before. Maybe it's selfish, but careful throwing those stones.

I would not have just left the gent in the sun though. I would have at the very least driven him back to his wife, given him plenty to drink and checked to see if I could call for help.
    Absolutely no excuse.

This is so very shocking to hear. I am pleased to infer that it all turned out reasonably well.

Yes, certainly if going on a drive of this sort, even if only for the day, I carry all my recovery gear in my dedicated overlanding vehicle and my tank always has some reasonably fresh water. We can even overnight in our RTT if need be. I appreciate that others might not be in the same position.

I am a firm believer in Karma, a few quotes:

Like gravity, karma is so basic we often don't even notice it. ― Sakyong Mipham

If karma doesn't catch up, God will surely pick up the slack. ― Anthony Liccione

I forgave you simply for the fact that Karma won't."
    ―Nitya Prakesh

Karma is like a boomerang. I hope you have many happy returns. ― Frank Sonnenberg

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." - Wayne Dyer
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hi Chum
    Sorry to read of your experience, do tell, how did you manage to get out after drinking that deliciously cold water.? What happened next?
    I think it is inexcusable of the Cruiser driver, some people have no fellow feeling
    Glad you are all okay
    Neil Sauls

Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3Lt V6 4x4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NeilMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    Best descried as a mini satellite modem.

Allows you to send 150 character SMS's and emails to any number, and email address from anywhere at anytime.

BUT the best part is the person getting the message, can also send one back.

AND they have an emergency button, linked to the international rescue station. They communicated with you to asses how life threatening the danger is and take it from there. The local cavalry arrives with speed dependent on how serious it is.

As a side bar - it also has live tracking, where family member can follow you on a website link to you send them, or you can send one off location pings every night.

I will never go anywhere without this gadget.
    Agree.

Every message you send will also give your coordinates and a link that takes them to a map that shows your exact position.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Not good news
    How did it all end?

Does the cell phone emergency number not operate even when there is no signal? Was led to believe it would work in nearly any situation

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Not good news
    How did it all end?

Does the cell phone emergency number not operate even when there is no signal? Was led to believe it would work in nearly any situation
    I think it will work provided you have signal from some network. does not need to be from Your network. You dont even need a SIM card in the phone, but it has to see some sort of signal
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...

Stupid question to those who said my post is "no excuse" - what do you do when you drive on a deserted road and you see a skinny black man in worn clothes, sweaty and tired, walking down the road, asking for a lift? Just a little curious.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    It only works if you are in range of any cell tower (Cell C, MTN Vodacom)

I see the OP hasn't responded yet, probably cruising the streets of Mooreesburg looking for a certain vehicle .

But seriously, if you read the last few paragraphs: he walked out, an hour until he met the helpful gent from Mooreesburg and then another hour to get to the unmanned office. Presumably he got help from another camper or from the occupants of the chalets.

Sounds like land cruiser guy had something in his car that he did not want you to see.

Maybe someone was tied and gagged in the back or even a dead body he was going to bury out there.

Cape is full of under world types.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Stupid question to those who said my post is "no excuse" - what do you do when you drive on a deserted road and you see a skinny black man in worn clothes, sweaty and tired, walking down the road, asking for a lift? Just a little curious.
    If he's in distress, you give him a lift and some water. What does skinny have to do with it, if he was fat would you just leave him? Are you discriminating against chubbies?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

I know what I would do - what would you do?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Sounds like land cruiser guy had something in his car that he did not want you to see.
    I think just a load of superiority attitude !

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Are you discriminating against chubbies?
    post should be deleted for body shaming
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Over the years some strange threads have been started on this forum. This must rate as one of the saddest by some margin. If someone would have told me that something like this could possibly happen, I would have said "not possible".

But yeah, mankind neevr fail to surprise I guess.

Sorry to hear Chum. Glad to see you posting here which means you made it back (hopefully without too many further scars bar this one)

I would dearly like to take this further, if only to hear the other party's version or excuse. But that would be well nigh impossible I would think.

Can I copy your post to the Land Cruiser Club site?
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2020/03/05 at 02:20 PM.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Very sad indeed. Question, you left me hanging. What transpired after you got to the office and had your water, did you get help.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast