Would you help someone in distress? My story…. - Page 6

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: Would you help someone in distress? My story….

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    Needs to be recharged after being used, depending on the size of the battery it was used on and the condition. If you are considering, get the NOCO. Works very well.
    Yep. What he said.

You can jump a car multiple times with one charge. Go to the Amazon link I posted above.

Again, I've you've had to use it, when you get home, just charge it up.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2020/03/06 at 10:34 AM.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Some vehicle systems (ECU's etc) are very sensitive and do not "like" jump starting. I experienced such a failure with a neighbour. There is a means of putting lights on etc., on the vehicle giving the jump start, to help absorb any spikes.

However, such an independent jump start system would be great as it avoids you most of the dangers when helping someone out with a jump start.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Not good news
    How did it all end?

Does the cell phone emergency number not operate even when there is no signal? Was led to believe it would work in nearly any situation
    There needs to be a signal from any GSM service provider for it to work, if there is no signal from any provider it cannot change physics and create one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to supersunbird For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Not good news
    How did it all end?

Does the cell phone emergency number not operate even when there is no signal? Was led to believe it would work in nearly any situation
    The cell emergency number 112 needs signal. It will work without a SIM card in the phone, but you still need signal, GSM at the very least.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

This event piqued my interest in terms of the legal standpoint of refusing to assist a person in distress. It might be interesting to note that SA does not have a Good Samaritan Law or Law of Rescue on it's statute books.

(Medicalbrief.co.za)

In South Africa, are you legally obliged to offer Good Samaritan assistance? Could you be exposed to a possible negligence claim or even a criminal charge if you act and make a fundamental medical error when assisting under less than adequate circumstances, or when performing a procedure with which you were not familiar, despite the fact that society would demand that you assist?
    In South Africa, there is no Good Samaritan law on the statute books, so in terms of the codified law, you are not obliged to stop and assist at the scene of a problem. Neither are you automatically protected by law should you stop and assist, as you might be in countries where Good Samaritan legislation is on the statute books.
    (Wiki)

The principles contained in good Samaritan laws more typically operate in countries in which the foundation of the legal system is English Common Law, such as Australia.[3] In many countries that use civil law as the foundation for their legal systems, the same legal effect is more typically achieved using a principle of duty to rescue.

It appears that we lag behind in this area and efforts to change this are being driven by the medical profession because as it currently stands, they are most at risk more frequently to situations that require rendering of assistance due to their oaths.

I am uncertain as to what the law would do to a person if they didnt render assistance and a person died as a result of this. I think there are laws of omission or something to that effect which might cover it. KJ Kemp has written a number of papers on the Good Samaritan principle if someone wants to find further information.

As for myself, the law is an ass (Dickens; Oliver Twist: referring to the application of a law which is contrary to common sense) and I would have rendered some form of assistance.

In temps between 35c and 45c, 4 cups of water an hour are suggested, but not exceeding 6 cups. (1 cup = 250ml). Remaining still and in the shade, this could be reduced to extend the water available. The OP was quite fortunate and or an obstinate old codger
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

'What would you do?' Stop and ask how I can help. I am really sorry to read about your experience. It is sad, but I can assure you that is the exception in SA, not the rule.

The road is a public through way, open to public travelling through the reserve. We did just that in April last year, 2019, from west to east. See photos.
    But, from the Cape Nature website regarding Anysberg: (You were blessed to get cool drinkable water. I am glad for you.)

https://www.capenature.co.za/reserve...ature-reserve/

Anysberg Nature Reserve

Enjoy the wide open space under a canopy of glittering stars

* There is currently a severe water shortage at Anysberg and consequently the entire reserve, including all accommodation, will be closed until 30 April 2020. If there is adequate rainfall before that date, there will be further communication on a possible earlier opening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anysberg_20190426_142812a.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	560728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anysberg_20190426_160033A.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	560729  

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Shocking to say the very least! Sorry for your ordeal.

Can I give a little advise, just in-case this type of thing happens again...

Invest in a lithium battery booster. TakeAlot has some...

https://www.takealot.com/14000mah-po...a/PLID53595903

But the ones you get on Amazon are in another class...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC...osi&th=1&psc=1

The above are examples, I'm not saying "go out and buy these ones".

I've have one, similar to the Amazon one, and have used it to "jump" an aircraft tug, and some cars. They work very well, and are small. Everyone should have one in their car, EVERYONE. You'll never again have to ask someone for a jump! Obviously you need to make sure it's charged. I plug mine in once month just to make sure it's still good.
    one of these saved our bums on various occassions:

2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

FWM

Just adding a bit of value. If you going to do a trail or route alone, please carry enough water to last a few hours....
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Back in October 2015 swambo and I took my dad's Outlander onto the Mabuasehube road from Nossob. Naughty I know but we've never been on the Botswana side and it was just for a short drive. My parents took my Pajero to Bitterpan while we stayed in Nossob. I was pleasantly surprised by the rather lush savanna on the Bots side. About 10 km's in we decided to stop and have a drink, just to take in the vastness and silence. When I tried to start the Outie several minutes later, it wouldn't turn over. I pondered our predicament; walking back to Nossob was not an option due to lions and it could take a week before another car comes by. Sitting dejected with a bowed head, hating myself for putting my wife in danger, I realized I left the Outie in drive (the Pajero is manual)...
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    ... please carry enough water to last a few hours....
    I think this is the number one lesson to take away from Chum's unfortunate experience. To me it comes before the 'gadgets', no matter how useful they are. Fact is, even if you manage to communicate your predicament successfully to a rescuer/assistance, you are going to wait. And sufficient water will carry you through that wait however long it might be.

I would also include things like jungle bars, sachets of peanut butter, sachets of rehydrat (already mentioned) and other light weight energy foods which is not too salty.

Chum, I am very glad you survived this. And yes, I would have tried to help. If I was woman alone, I might not have given you lift, but would certainly look for another way to help.

Edit: it seems per the link to Cape Nature that the reserve is indeed temporarily closed. Would it not be a good idea to maybe indicate that on a sign at the gate as well? People may not think of checking the website, I probably would not.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/03/06 at 12:24 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Yeah when wife and I travel, we usually have food for at least a full day and drinks for a good 2~3 days in the car, packed in a cooler box filled to the brim with ice (more water, if need be). We've had the experience of pitching up at a place with no water before, so we know.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I think this is the number one lesson to take away from Chum's unfortunate experience. To me it comes before the 'gadgets', no matter how useful they are. Fact is, even if you manage to communicate your predicament successfully to a rescuer/assistance, you are going to wait. And sufficient water will carry you through that wait however long it might be.

I would also include things like jungle bars, sachets of peanut butter, sachets of rehydrat (already mentioned) and other light weight energy foods which is not too salty.

Chum, I am very glad you survived this. And yes, I would have tried to help. If I was woman alone, I might not have given you lift, but would certainly look for another way to help.
    Water, water, oh, and have water with you!

Having a jump start kit is not a bad idea, but what if you have a flat tire and your jack breaks? or your fuel pump packs up, or you pop a radiator hose? We can have all the backup gear we like, but Murphy's law states the one item we don't take is the one we end up needing, this includes water.

So again, always have as much water with you as possible when visiting such places. If you don't have a sat phone and you know you're going into a no cell area, at least let someone know where you are going.

Yes, Swambo and I also ventured down that road from Nossob into Bots, without even one spare wheel. We had just got the Defender and I neglected to properly check the wheel that was right in front of my face on the rear door. If we had tried to use it it would have blown. It had been on the door for 18 years, uncovered and never used. (I now always have 2) The jack would also not have worked had we tried to use it, I now have at least one that I know works.

Another extremely stupid thing I once did was to take a slash overboard from a sailboat over 100miles off the coast of Florida, at night, while all the rest of the crew was asleep. I was on watch alone and could have easily activated autopilot with one single press of a button and gone down below to use the head. I also wasn't wearing a lifejacket because the wheelhouse was fully enclosed, you generally don't need to wear one inside a boat...if I had fallen overboard....
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/03/06 at 01:03 PM.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Invest in one of these or something similar!

Things can go south very quickly in Africa, even 50km from civilization!

I never leave home without it.
    I like this, seems like a very nifty thing to have. Maybe more so than a Satphone. Thanks for sharing, I have made a mental note to investigate this further for when we start travelling far off the main routes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Naughty I know....
    No not really. The Nossob-Mabua track is a public access road and anyone may drive there.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/03/07 at 07:12 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    No not really. It is a public access road and anyone may drive there.
    Cool thanks! Going to Kgalagadi again next month but will be staying in Mata Mata and Twee Rivieren so will only do Leeuwdril 4x4 trail (legally!) and main roads.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Can you jumpstart your car with your deep cycle battery in your dual battery system? ie, remove the deep cycle from its box in the back bring it to the front, connect it up with the jump leads and start? Will it work?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

I am a woman who mostly driver alone with 2 kids in the car. I have broken down, and had people who were completely unable to assist stop and just keep me company whilst waiting for help to arrive (ironically 2 young girls in their early 20's, and another single mom and her son, not one man stopped). And I've stopped and assisted where I could. I always assess the situation, and decide how to assist from there. If i think you may be dangerous, i may give you water, leave your there and go back to a place with reception to make a call. In this specific instance i may have given you water, left you there, drove to your car, verified the wife story, gave her a jump start, and had her follow me back to you. Or tow her if i'm unable to jumpstart the car. I'm always weary of allowing a stranger into my car. But there are very many other ways to help

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermine For This Useful Post:

Estee, you raise a number of pertinent points:

The Good Samaritan Law you refer to primarily applies to those with more advanced medical training. It is true that there is no law in South Africa compelling a passing doctor/paramedic to voluntarily supply first aid, especially should he feel out of his depth or inadequately supported. There are however very compelling moral and ethical obligations. However when I retired from practice I was very pleasantly surprised when my medical liability insurance (The British and internationally-based Medical Defence Union), after I obviously stopped annual 6 figure contributions, let me know by email that they nonetheless would continue to cover any litigation initiated after Good Samaritan acts of good faith. I thought this was fantastic and was in turn a provision decided on in good faith and in public interest. I thus do not hesitate to offer any emergency medical help as needed out in the sticks, of course also all 4x4 help as well. In fact any medical expertise has almost invariably been for the benefit (or risk - whatever ) of fellow travellers. I cannot comment on the South African law governing lay people in this sort of circumstance.

Secondly if you are stranded without water, without exception almost, it is better to remain with your vehicle sitting quietly in the shade. Outside, or if need be inside the vehicle. If you have carried no water some can be harvested and drunk from the window-washer bottle. Being sedentary and not overheating by walking in the hot sun, dramatically decreases the amount of water you need to drink. You are also far easier to locate by staying on the road with your highly visible vehicle and staying together with your travel companion, all in your favour. A road or air search will be more likely to find the two of you and incidental vehicles are likely sometime even in remote areas, if you are on a formal road.

Jump starting
    ; I have been caught in this situation, with no crank battery power to start the engine in the middle of nowhere and no prospective help. I drive a LC 76 series with a deep cycle auxiliary battery and each time have managed to start my vehicle by jump starting from the deep cycle to the crank battery without any problem. I have 230W of solar power to the deep cycle so it is invariably well charged. I am too ignorant to be certain that this is a safe and reliable backup. Are there any precautions I have to institute? Can I harm the batteries? Any advice or cautionaries at all will be welcome, as this might well recur in the future. It is as well to have thought through likely emergencies before they are sprung upon one.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Would you help someone in distress? My story….

Quote Originally Posted by Steady View Post
    I can speak and read a modest amount of Afrikaans please accept my reply in English. The X 3 approached the Prado from the front, jump started the Prado. The Prado then moved out of the way and the X 3 drove past, Prado did a U turn and followed the X 3.I was always taught. Offer help, where it is needed, if you can. Only give advice when it is asked for. Glad it ended well, sorry about the tosser in the LC.
    Korrek Steady - hoop jy het dit nou Swartkat...(smiley willie wysie)

Talking Re: Would you help someone in distress? My story….

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Estee, you raise a number of pertinent points:

The Good Samaritan Law you refer to primarily applies to those with more advanced medical training. It is true that there is no law in South Africa compelling a passing doctor/paramedic to voluntarily supply first aid, especially should he feel out of his depth or inadequately supported. There are however very compelling moral and ethical obligations. However when I retired from practice I was very pleasantly surprised when my medical liability insurance (The British and internationally-based Medical Defence Union), after I obviously stopped annual 6 figure contributions, let me know by email that they nonetheless would continue to cover any litigation initiated after Good Samaritan acts of good faith. I thought this was fantastic and was in turn a provision decided on in good faith and in public interest. I thus do not hesitate to offer any emergency medical help as needed out in the sticks, of course also all 4x4 help as well. In fact any medical expertise has almost invariably been for the benefit (or risk - whatever ) of fellow travellers. I cannot comment on the South African law governing lay people in this sort of circumstance.

Secondly if you are stranded without water, without exception almost, it is better to remain with your vehicle sitting quietly in the shade. Outside, or if need be inside the vehicle. If you have carried no water some can be harvested and drunk from the window-washer bottle. Being sedentary and not overheating by walking in the hot sun, dramatically decreases the amount of water you need to drink. You are also far easier to locate by staying on the road with your highly visible vehicle and staying together with your travel companion, all in your favour. A road or air search will be more likely to find the two of you and incidental vehicles are likely sometime even in remote areas, if you are on a formal road.

Jump starting
    ; I have been caught in this situation, with no crank battery power to start the engine in the middle of nowhere and no prospective help. I drive a LC 76 series with a deep cycle auxiliary battery and each time have managed to start my vehicle by jump starting from the deep cycle to the crank battery without any problem. I have 230W of solar power to the deep cycle so it is invariably well charged. I am too ignorant to be certain that this is a safe and reliable backup. Are there any precautions I have to institute? Can I harm the batteries? Any advice or cautionaries at all will be welcome, as this might well recur in the future. It is as well to have thought through likely emergencies before they are sprung upon one.
    @ Stan
    I suspect (maybe Fluffy will contradict) that you may well damage the deep cycle battery since it is not designed to handle the heavy short term current draw to start the vehicle.
    However, I think if re-charged within a relatively short time it should be OK.

In an emergency situation I would do it without hesitation even if it results in a battery disaster!

I have MURDERED batteries in the course of our overlanding times and they still lasted anything from 2 to 8 years depending on type etc.
    Sure if your very expensive Lithium (whatever) battery dies in two years then .... Eish !
    That is why more and more I lean towards fast re-charging, heavy discharge high cycles.
    OR
    Against all advice a linked combination of the two!

OK - Over to Fluffy who is vastly more experienced and knowledgeable on these kind of issues than I !
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

My understanding is that one of the benefits of the dual battery system is that you can, in an emergency, use the second battery. This is even advocated by a number of experienced YouTubers as being a pro/benefit, for what that is worth. Again, my understanding is that the starter will require a certain number of amps and if the second battery can provide this then it should work.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast