Please post Pics of your DIY workbench (WOOD)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Please post Pics of your DIY workbench (WOOD)

Hi guys, please post Pics of your DIY workbench (WOOD).

I have this terrible itch to tidy up my workshop and build a wooden workbench. Built into the bench would be a Circular saw, upside down Jigsaw, Router table and CNC machine with Vacuum system and air compressor for air tools.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Default Re: Please post Pics of your DIY workbench (WOOD)

Keith please look at the Paulk work bench and its copies on youtube and pinerest. Thats the modern style,I am going to

build when I have sorted out my workshop at home.

In one side, storage, table saw, assembly table(workbench) out other end.

I have 90sq meter with a high roof.
    Last edited by Robbief; 2020/03/04 at 03:19 PM.
    Roberto Forbes
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Subscribed
    GaryG

4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

DIY Bench made from wood I found at a company that was throwing it out!
    I laminated 4 section of ply together to form the top.
    Legs etc. are all bolted together.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

Whatever your eventual design, please just add these from Hardware Centre:

https://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/pro...ch-caster-kit/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench-caster-kit-2.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	560477

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waldo_g For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by waldo_g View Post

https://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/pro...ch-caster-kit/Click image for larger version. 

Very nice, but please have decent overlaps on your bench so you don't trip over those casters.
    Roberto Forbes
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

I shouldn't have gone to that link.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Subscribed. Need one for the new workshop soon.

Don't want to do all types of weird joints, don't have the equipment for that.

Was thinking of this:

Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Subscribed!!!!
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

Was thinking of this:

Nice and straight forward but can be strong enough for what i need also. I will definitely do the castor idea though. Handy to move away from the wall for long items and to move around the bench. I wonder, if you use 8 castors could the weight be spread even more to allow a greater weight or is 200kg enough?
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Was thinking of this:

More or less what I have, use thick marine ply, rubber on top, solid legs, cross bracing for the legs, and put drawers in, very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Hi guys, please post Pics of your DIY workbench (WOOD).

I have this terrible itch to tidy up my workshop and build a wooden workbench. Built into the bench would be a Circular saw, upside down Jigsaw, Router table and CNC machine with Vacuum system and air compressor for air tools.
    Personally I would be wary of building in too many machines into one bench.It sounds nice at the beginning but later you find you just need "a bit more space" for the saw or something. It does clutter up the workshop having separate units but is so much more flexible.
    Having said that there is something very magical in a well made and SOLID workbench. Castors are nice but they either stick out and catch on everything or are tucked away so difficult to lock them.

My workbench at the moment I inherited with the house so did not have any say in its construction.

Rob

PS My workshop is far from organised and has to also serve as a garage so limited in my options
    Rob Bagnall

Subaru Forester

16. The Following User Says Thank You to caranx36 For This Useful Post:

I built mine quite similar to the design jelo posted. Out of reclaimed roof truss wood. Iíve made a platform/shelf on that bottom section too though, with shelves on one half for powertool storage etc. then underneath I have all my offcuts/snake haven.
    the only machine I have built in is the router, and even that gets in the way sometimes.
    I do need a vice though. Madness how Iíve gone so long without one actually.
    personally I wouldnít go with castors. I like a proper solid workbench,it canít move when youíre cutting or hammering something. But thatís just me.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

Quote Originally Posted by caranx36 View Post
    Personally I would be wary of building in too many machines into one bench.It sounds nice at the beginning but later you find you just need "a bit more space" for the saw or something. It does clutter up the workshop having separate units but is so much more flexible.
    Having said that there is something very magical in a well made and SOLID workbench. Castors are nice but they either stick out and catch on everything or are tucked away so difficult to lock them.

My workbench at the moment I inherited with the house so did not have any say in its construction.

Rob

PS My workshop is far from organised and has to also serve as a garage so limited in my options
    Thanks, yes I agree.

The idea is that the bench has inserts and the modules with their tools are stored separately.

So, for instance the bench top is flat and has inlaid tracks and you remove a cover and drop in a upside down Jigsaw that works as a type of band or coping saw, or drop in a router module, etc.

T he circular saw, which I already have as a table version on a stand, is a removable module, but when the blade is withdrawn it forms part of the benches flat top.

Castors, I have no choice as the bench must be stowed away unless I am using it.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Was thinking of this:

Pretty much my idea also. Just some cut 3/4 Baltic or constructors plywood and 16mm MDF. Nail, glue and screw.

Get the cut list correct, send it off to be cut by the board supplier, assemble.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I shouldn't have gone to that link.
    Then you definitely shouldn't go into the store where you can touch and hold the stuff.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waldo_g For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I built mine quite similar to the design jelo posted. Out of reclaimed roof truss wood. Iíve made a platform/shelf on that bottom section too though, with shelves on one half for powertool storage etc. then underneath I have all my offcuts/snake haven.
    the only machine I have built in is the router, and even that gets in the way sometimes.
    I do need a vice though. Madness how Iíve gone so long without one actually.
    personally I wouldnít go with castors. I like a proper solid workbench,it canít move when youíre cutting or hammering something. But thatís just me.
    But some castors are different from others. The ones I posted can lift the table, move it around and then drop it into position on its own 4 legs like it was planted there all along.

My bench was made from solid pine, 'cause that's what my father's one looks like. 100x100 legs. I slapped on a MDF worktop though, something whch can easily be replaced once damaged far enough. I have not reached that point though, purely because I have another smaller bench with a pine top where the metal drilling, and other dirty work gets done.

Both surfaces unfortunately serve very well as packing and storage areas because my packing spaces still needs some serious work. I also now have half a garage worth of tools, camping and other stuff inherited from my FIL which needs to be sorted.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to waldo_g For This Useful Post:

I would need to go and look for some photos, but I built mine from roof truss pine with a reclaimed melamine top. One corner has the table saw with the rest just flat work space. I added heavy duty castors from Gelmar, and storage under the counter top for tool boxes and the like. I added a dust drawer under the table saw which works ok, but my table saw is old school so not really properly sealed. The whole unit is heavy enough that the casters don't allow for much movement when they are locked, and the general structure is solid. I do put one edge against the wall which helps. In my opinion casters is a compromise, it would be best to have a work bench that is bolted down, but for the flexibility that casters provide if doen right it is a worth while compromise. I also gave good over hangs so it is easy to clamp to the bench and I made sure the whole unit is quite high off the ground so it is easier on the back when standing and working. I do still want to add more drawers and optimise storage a bit, but for now it works great and didn't cost a fortune to build.

Here is a link to my thread on wood haven, I have spent a bit more time on it since last posting and there is a bit of other stuff in between, but my design logic and steps are mostly in there if needed.
    http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewt...hp?f=23&t=1657

Be sure to update us on what you end up building Fluffy!

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

But some castors are different from others. The ones I posted can lift the table, move it around and then drop it into position on its own 4 legs like it was planted there all along.
    Ah, ok, thats clever, I wasnt aware of that.

In your other post you mention your replaceable worktop, this is also something I have - Ive got a chipboard worktop at the moment (properly braced etc), but the beauty of it is its a disposable item, so, once theres just too many holes that have been drilled through it, edges nicked with a saw, or spilt paint, it can easily (and cheaply) be replaced.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast