Impromptu Bots Trip - Mid March

Post Impromptu Bots Trip - Mid March

Hi all!

A few friends and I are planning an incredibly short notice 7/8 night trip to bots from Pretoria mid March. (Also, what conditions in terms of dryness can we expect)

We want to stay at Kubu Island and head up to Khwai/Moremi/Savuti (happy to go to one camp and just explore from there).
    We are on an incredibly tight student budget and plan to only camp. We don't mind roughing it, have got two 4x4's and can take all our water and necessary camping gear to camp in the bush without facilities.

Found a nice Kubu camp site however we are looking for cheap camping options in the Moremi/ Khwai area, where it looks like you pretty much have to pay upward of 14 Grand to sleep there....there is the 3 bridges camp, but that's still too pricey for our needs.

I have looked at trying to book Bots National Park camps but cannot find where nor how to book them, and have heard they don't reply quickly. Given the short notice this is of course a problem. Any ideas of how to swing this?

Default Re: Impromptu Bots Trip - Mid March

I was told from this moment of ; 3rd bridge its a no go zone as per the update by one of the wildlife officers. Moremi is now flooded

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sylvia000 For This Useful Post:

Try SKL campsites (Savuti, Kwai and Lynyanti) they are on the cheaper side .

we doing the same route from 22March for 9 days. We may cross paths.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Airborne59 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia000 View Post
    I was told from this moment of ; 3rd bridge its a no go zone as per the update by one of the wildlife officers. Moremi is now flooded
    Jeepers! Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne59 View Post
    Try SKL campsites (Savuti, Kwai and Lynyanti) they are on the cheaper side .

we doing the same route from 22March for 9 days. We may cross paths.
    Thanks! They do look promising. I sent them a message.

We will be heading back on the 22/23rd but almost!! Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BushcatDiaries View Post
    Hi all!

A few friends and I are planning an incredibly short notice 7/8 night trip to bots from Pretoria mid March. (Also, what conditions in terms of dryness can we expect)

We want to stay at Kubu Island and head up to Khwai/Moremi/Savuti (happy to go to one camp and just explore from there).
    We are on an incredibly tight student budget and plan to only camp. We don't mind roughing it, have got two 4x4's and can take all our water and necessary camping gear to camp in the bush without facilities.

Found a nice Kubu camp site however we are looking for cheap camping options in the Moremi/ Khwai area, where it looks like you pretty much have to pay upward of 14 Grand to sleep there....there is the 3 bridges camp, but that's still too pricey for our needs.

I have looked at trying to book Bots National Park camps but cannot find where nor how to book them, and have heard they don't reply quickly. Given the short notice this is of course a problem. Any ideas of how to swing this?
    There is no cheaper options fro Third bridge and Khwai. If you find those two expensive, you might as well camp outside the park at kaziikini and make day trips to Moremi from there. I will totally skip Kubu IOsland this time of year. I know there are pictures of people roughing it out there, BUT things could go wrong rapily in the salt pans this time of year.
    Khwai is P350 per person per day and Khwai Campgrounds is P300, no other option. Or Khwai North Gate, but park fees, vehicle fees could escalate the price
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2020/03/03 at 10:09 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

OP, I would heed Pat's advice above. It is rainy season in Botswana and what looks like fun can turn into tragedy very fast this time of year.

I would really encourage you to do some research about travel times and the finer details of travel in Botswana as well as costs. It is not cheap. And please, don't venture anywhere near a salt pan at this time of year even if it looks bone dry.

Lastly to try and get to Moremi in 7/8 days is a mad rush. Personally I would do a relaxed loop of 2 days each at Khama Rhino sanctuary (it might be out of your budget range), Planet Boabab or Gweta lodge, Nata lodge or Elephant sands and then home with maybe a one night stop over somewhere on the way back.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/03/04 at 08:08 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Hi all!

Sadly thats pretty much the cost of camping in Bots - Those camp are the more affordable, but you could probably look at community campsites - Try NDM, always had good service from them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Impromptu Bots Trip - Mid March

Thank you all for your input! We will most likely be heading down to the Kalahari transfrontier park instead and save the north for another time.

Thank you all for your input! We will most likely be heading down to the Kalahari transfrontier park instead and save the north for another time.
    Then you need to book, like today!
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Then you need to book, like today!
    Try see if you can get cancellations, things are usually booked out 12 - 6 months in advanced. Good luck! Hope you come right and have a great trip.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

Thanks, yes we actually have friends who stay on the border of the park, so we will most likely stay there and go in for day trips Would love to do the 4x4 routes into SA, but those really do book up quickly! Out of interest I might just check for cancellations too...might be lucky!

Hi all!

We are doing a 3 week trip in June. It is crazy what Savuti costs. I managed to get one night there. The park entrance fee for the night is more than our camping fees etc. for Mabua for 4 nights. Part of this due to you are actually charged for two days (the second being your departure day) So it is +- R1200 for a one nights stay for 2
    Most camp sites outside the parks are also on the high side +- R500 per night per couple.
    Other experiences would be welcome. (more affordable camp sites)
    Gary Wade
    Disco 4 V8
    Prado 150
    Ford Ranger S/C
    Smart Four two

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gary wade For This Useful Post: