Fire fighter build fred

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fire fighter build fred

I like posting my built freds here because you normally get very good ideas from people with more or other experience.

For three years now we've been luck with no veld fires on the farm. This year we were able to spare approximately 100 Ha from grazing. It will not be grazed for more or less 18 months. With some very good rain in the area, this veld is beyond explanation right now! Problem is - it is the Sept/Oct/Nov grazing for the year. It has to be protected.

So come time for a fire fighter.

I wanted 4 things:
    • Fit on a DC bakkie
    • Space around it for extra fuel, filling pumps, fire beaters etc.
    • Must fit on the 3 point of a tractor.
    • Must be versitile - I.e if I want to spray herbicide in smaller areas - same system must be used.

Oh, and another one - it must be economical (i.e - cheap). Normally this is a problem.

Last week Farm city had a clearance sales on the pumps. R930 later this is here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-03-03 at 16.50.44 (1).jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	560369

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-03-03 at 16.50.44 (2).jpg 
Views:	1075 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	560370

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-03-03 at 16.50.44.jpg 
Views:	1067 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	560371
    Last edited by Uys; 2020/03/03 at 05:10 PM.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Default Re: Fire fighter build fred

Is a trailer base not a better option (ok cost implication), but then if there is a problem the system is 100% ready for any vehicle?

This is for example what a local NW has on standby.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Is a trailer base not a better option (ok cost implication), but then if there is a problem the system is 100% ready for any vehicle?

This is for example what a local NW has on standby.

Dirk, it could work, but remember it must be drawn through rough field. The bakkie on it's own is easier. If the wind turn you have to get away from the flames - quickly! Imagine reversing with that in a panic.

This one must just hang on a chain block, already filled, ready to drop on the bakkie.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

having burnt fire breaks for years on the farm every winter and then fighting fires in the area a 1000lt will not be sufficient in a real life run away fire, it is better than nothing but maybe look at a tank on the truck and the trailer allready 100% better off

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

Here in Natal, especially in the Sugar Industry we have relied on the Mac Bakkie Fire Fighter.
    Check it out on their Web Site: McBean’s Implement Company Pty., Ltd. in Pietermaritzburg.
    Their service and back up is excellent.
    They also stock excellent nozzles that one can alter for the spray.
    Don't pull a trailer with a bakkie into a veld/cane fire. You will get into an extremely dangerous situation.
    Last edited by Gavin49 - (Ad Rem); 2020/03/03 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gavin49 - (Ad Rem) For This Useful Post:

agreed

You probably aware, but you can mix a Ďwetterí into your water which increases its ability to extinguish fire.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

Trailers is not a good option when fighting veldfires. Difficult to manouver and will get you stuck in no time. Rather have a bakkie unit or get a cradle for the tractor lift at the back. I also prefer centrifical pumps like the Davey as it is direct drive and easier to fix a burst pipe. But if nothing rather have something.btw 1000lts with a high pressure setup like your is ok, but tall grass with fair wind will win it. High pressure doesnt work well in strong wind.
    Die reŽn is 'n dag nader as gister.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retailer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I like posting my built freds here because you normally get very good ideas from people with more or other experience.

For three years now we've been luck with no veld fires on the farm. This year we were able to spare approximately 100 Ha from grazing. It will not be grazed for more or less 18 months. With some very good rain in the area, this veld is beyond explanation right now! Problem is - it is the Sept/Oct/Nov grazing for the year. It has to be protected.

I wanted 4 things:
    • Fit on a DC bakkie
    • Must be versitile - I.e if I want to spray herbicide in smaller areas - same system must be used.

Oh, and another one - it must be economical (i.e - cheap). Normally this is a problem.

Last week Farm city had a clearance sales on the pumps. R930 later this is here:

Cheap is expensive in the long run.
    A cheap method and you can make it in the farm workshop. A cradle for a 210 litre oil drum on the three point linkage of your tractor. A centrifugal pump that fits directly onto the PTO. A hose to the length you require and a piece of pipe to make a nozzle. Be careful the "top link" does not break as the carrier could end up flicking up onto the driver. Front end weights to balance the rig.
    Good luck.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin49 - (Ad Rem) For This Useful Post:

Whow. I went out for one glass of wine and 30 minutes later...... this..

One this I must maybe point out - we are weekend farmers. We only have Saturdays to do all of this. We don't have a tractor because we don't need it. So firebreaks are grazed by guiding the cattle in a 30m wide strip with electric fencing around the perimeter. We then only burn 20m wide of that, giving us sufficient space to drive the bakkies in a clean area. This means the high pressure and 500l is sufficient. You cannot carry a 1000l of water on a bakkie with the equipment - so 500l have to do.

But so far it seems I am on the right path.

The frame will be 50x100 PFC. The estimated weight of this is 88kg. The pump and engine goes on the blue highlighted faces. The reason for raising it is to fit other stuff underneath this area. Here I can fit a centrifugal pump for re-filling, fuel, pipes etc. It also raise the pump so that I you can get the high pressure hose over the cattle rail easily. I can then fit a hose reel somewhere over here as well.

Name:	FF01.PNG 
Views:	976 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	560379

500l Pioneer plastics tank:

Name:	FF02.PNG 
Views:	968 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	560380
    Last edited by Uys; 2020/03/03 at 06:47 PM.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

For grass fires high pressure low volume is best. You can get very far extinguishing a grass fire with above system, especially if availability of water is a problem.
    Heavy fuel fires like forest fires require more water, thus low pressure high volume application.

At a fire the lack of quick and abundant water supply is always a problem. I thus always prefer a high pressure system for a bakkie sakkie.
    If you need top quality bakiie sakkies look at Anco in Piet Retief.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

I wanted 4 things:
    • Fit on a DC bakkie

An inlet filter will be essential for that type of pump, Uys. Those pistons don't do well with dirty water.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    An inlet filter will be essential for that type of pump, Uys. Those pistons don't do well with dirty water.

Yip. The package included a strainer but will only keep the "rocks" out. After that I will fit another filter. I am also considering a strainer on the inlet of the tank. Quite often you refill these things from a stream or soil dam.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    For grass fires high pressure low volume is best. You can get very far extinguishing a grass fire with above system, especially if availability of water is a problem.
    Heavy fuel fires like forest fires require more water, thus low pressure high volume application.

At a fire the lack of quick and abundant water supply is always a problem. I thus always prefer a high pressure system for a bakkie sakkie.
    If you need top quality bakiie sakkies look at Anco in Piet Retief.
    My father believed that you blow the fire out instead of dosing it with the water. The water then just kill remaining fire in the tuft.

The fact is, with a bakkie you cannot use high volume, low pressure. You can only carry that much water. With big fires in long grass it is also much easier to move away a coupled of 100m and start a fire in shorter grass and let it burn back to the primary fire.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Called back burning. Very dangerous in windy conditions.
    A very good tool for light fuel fires is a petrol driven blower. You actually blow the fire out.
    My father believed that you blow the fire out instead of dosing it with the water. The water then just kill remaining fire in the tuft.

The fact is, with a bakkie you cannot use high volume, low pressure. You can only carry that much water. With big fires in long grass it is also much easier to move away a coupled of 100m and start a fire in shorter grass and let it burn back to the primary fire.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    Called back burning. Very dangerous in windy conditions.
    A very good tool for light fuel fires is a petrol driven blower. You actually blow the fire out.
    True.

That is why you do this slowly and make sure a couple of meters has burned towards the primary fire and make sure is out before moving on. And leave a sentinel.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

We used to use a trailer for veld fires. It was a 600 l tank on a custom built trailer. 2.5 ton axle 33" tyres and 2 pumps. One a high pressure low volume for fire fighting and the other a high volume pump for refills from streams etc. I used to tow it with my Colt. I must say that we also used a 50 m hose for fighting to give some distance from the fire. We were in some hairy situations with that rig.

Also we knew the veld in the area very well so we knew where the dongas were..
    Fred
    2005 Colt (Ex) had a few mods
    1999 Colt 2.8TDi DC (Now) Now with Stofpad bashplate ...(Motor she's in.. Let the other work carry on...)
    http://www.hotfrog.co.za/Companies/F...Handy-Handyman

The first frames are done - now they must be coupled. I did a test today and realized that I cut the cross members 20mm too long - luckily not to short.

I put the tank on and made an interesting discovery..... the tank does not have an outlet. It does have a recess on the one side, but no outlet. I am not quite sure how to handle this.

Name:	20200324_163632.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	563134

I was also able to test the rest of the layout now and I quite like it.

Name:	20200324_163627.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	563135

Name:	20200324_163616.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	563136

Name:	20200324_165315.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	563137
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

The first frames are done - now they must be coupled. I did a test today and realized that I cut the cross members 20mm too long - luckily not to short.

I put the tank on and made an interesting discovery..... the tank does not have an outlet. It does have a recess on the one side, but no outlet. I am not quite sure how to handle this.

Surely you can purchase an appropriately sized valve and install it in the recess?
    Owned
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    Sold
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

Default Fire fighter build fred

I was also able to test the rest of the layout now and I quite like it.

Name:	20200324_163627.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	563135

Name:	20200324_163616.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	563136

Name:	20200324_165315.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	563137
    40mm brass barrel nipple, 2 x 40mm brass nuts. 1 close couple toilet cistern rubber gasket. Sny gat in, sit barrel nipple in.

Kry by hardware store of ko-op
    Last edited by Reenen; 2020/03/24 at 09:48 PM.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast