Kumho vs Wrangler vs General Grabber

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kumho vs Wrangler vs General Grabber

Hi Everyone

So it is time for me to get new AT tyres. My price range is the above mentioned brands. So please help me. Kumhoís are best price where I am. Donít know them at all. One says Kumho is better than General Grabber. Another says General Grabber is the best. I need something that has a descent side wall. I havenít lived with any of them.

please help
    Thanks all

Default Re: Kumho vs Wrangler vs General Grabber

I don't get involved in the comparing this brand to that brand debates. I can confirm however that the Kumho AT51's on my car still look new after 35 000km.

Sidewall not a concern for me as i don't do serious off road work with my car. Tar, gravel and sand driving only.

If they are the best priced when i need to shop around again I will fit them again.

On my second set on wranglers on the defender and very happy with them. A mate changed from maxxis to wrangler and is also much happier.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

Have got nothing good to say about Grabber At3. Had to replace them after 13000km on the Discovery. Back on Pirelli Scorpian again, 25000km later and no sign of wear.. My At 3's was sent to the factory for testing but never came back to me.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip72 For This Useful Post:

I have had good service from Kumho, they would definitely be on my short list for future tire choices. I have had a set of Wrangler AT's on my Jeep and they were pretty crap especially on wet tar, can't comment on the Grabbers but I have heard good things.

From the tires I have bought and used my main take away would be that the expensive tires are rarely better by the same factor as they are more expensive, i.e. a premium brand could be 50 - 100% more expensive but is only 10-15% better (at best, and usually it is probably less than 5%), so for my money the cheaper tire is usually the better option, provided that it isn't some totally unknown brand. You may also be quite surprised when you start doing research on the brands, just because they aren't well known in SA doesn't necessarily mean they aren't well know internationally.

M2CW

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Buy any brand that employs local South Africans.

So on my wifeís D4 (19Ē rims) we had the General Grabber AT3ís for 55k km. They are more than fine for tar and gravel. On the D4 I would not recommend them for overlanding as they are puncture prone in my opinion it maybe fine in sizes with more sidewall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E8E6AD3-39F4-4E7B-A549-C7A1660382D5.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	560233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79CD2A6B-FC48-485C-9B87-180672C15C3B.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	560234  

2003 LR Discovery 2 GS V8
    2013 LR Discovery SDV6 SE (SWAMBO)
    2014 BMW X5M

Ran Kumhos on the Range Rover P38 for over 10 years, mainly tar but some hectic off road applications. Found them to be fairly good all-rounders and economical. Good life out of them, upwards of 80 000 kms.

Currently on Grabber AW (all weather) tyres and they have performed well on all surfaces so I would assume that the ATs will perform equally as well.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Thank you all for taking time to respond.

Iíll be doing mostly tar and heavy sand. Would have to deflate definitely. So no rock climbing etc. I was just concerned for roots and dead branches easily cutting the sidewall into smithereens. I donít know Kumho or Grabbers at all.

There have been various other threads regarding all three tyre brands. From what I remember, most people using the Kumho AT tyres are quite happy, few complaints.

Wrangler Adventure AT same, mostly happy customers.

General Grabbers all terrain tyres seem to generally come a little short on mileage and the side wall is not the strongest by far.

If I had to choose out of those 3, I would probably go for the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure.

If you would like more details, maybe use the search function to find the older threads. I haven't seen the Kumho tyres mentioned much lately.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I donít think youíd go wrong with the Goodyear...
    David -
    Ď20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Decal Edition 3.5L

If your only tools are a cutting torch and hammer, all of your problems are locomotives...

Having recently fitted Grabber AT3's
    I dont think they will give a lot of KM's, not important to me though , they will age before being worn out.

I also dont think they have the strongest sidewalls, something that is important to me, but then I have lost a couple of Cooper AT3LT and STMax's and Wranglers due to cut sidewalls, so what has? Testing Dunlop AT3G's on a different vehicle at the moment.

The Grabbers do well in heavy sand though, and I got them at a better price than anything else.
    Lets just say I can replace 4 of the five with cut sidewalls and still break even with my 2nd choice the Coopers, so can I maybe say it has "strength in Numbers"?
    Last edited by Bex; 2020/03/03 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Ran Kumhos on the Range Rover P38 for over 10 years, mainly tar but some hectic off road applications. Found them to be fairly good all-rounders and economical. Good life out of them, upwards of 80 000 kms.

Currently on Grabber AW (all weather) tyres and they have performed well on all surfaces so I would assume that the ATs will perform equally as well.
    Hi Estee

Do you (or anyone) have any experience / knowledge specifically of the Kumho Solus KL21? These are the tyres the dealer advised after I shredded a Bridgestone Dueller in Dinoking and they didn't have stock. Being without a spare, I ended up with 4 Kumhos and kept one Bridgestone as the spare.

I'm mainly interested at how strong they might be on fairly rough surfaces (Breedt's Nek comes to mind ). Generally I don't plan to do any serious off-roading until I get my 18-inch rims.

TIA

Its weird, on my RRS which weighs 2.6t and puts out over 400kw, my grabber AT3 have lasted exceptionally well, currently around 65 000km with plenty tread still left, they have worn perfectly evenly, although I do rotate every 5000km.
    I probably got a good batch
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Philip72 View Post
    Have got nothing good to say about Grabber At3. Had to replace them after 13000km on the Discovery. Back on Pirelli Scorpian again, 25000km later and no sign of wear.. My At 3's was sent to the factory for testing but never came back to me.
    The new Grabbers have soft side walls, I can vouch for that .
    Had a set of the old pattern, they were fine, fitted 4 x new , lost 2 x with side wall damage under 15 000 km also
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Am very happy with my Wranglers. Have done Ī10.000km now and cannot complain. Grip very well in the wet, on gravel and rock. They shed water and mud very nicely and they give a lot of control. I don't think they will last as long as - say - Pirelli Scorpions, which are also in that same price category (might be worth a check if that is a concern). Cannot comment on sidewall durability, perhaps after the upcoming Namibia trip I can report back on that (later this month).

I would also opt for the Wranglers. I have them on my off-road trailer and no issues yet. Apparently also exceptional in sand.

On my second set of Grabber 3's, no issues. (Moved away from the GY Wranglers due to excessive road noise)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/03/04 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    Thank you all for taking time to respond.

Iíll be doing mostly tar and heavy sand. Would have to deflate definitely. So no rock climbing etc. I was just concerned for roots and dead branches easily cutting the sidewall into smithereens. I donít know Kumho or Grabbers at all.
    normal 2 ply sidewall won't do for this application...extremely difficult to swerve out for these obstacles even if you see them in advance.

Just back from a Botswana tour. Wranglers awesome tires but poor sidewall protection. Thinking to go with Dunlop AT3G.
    Hilux 3.0 D4D
    Prado 120 V6
    www.optoer.co.za

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter.Rau For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast