Ultimate 4x4 camping truck - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Ultimate 4x4 camping truck

Quite happy with mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

I've seen a couple of similar outfits here in Ireland, impressive to see. However I can imagine that as soon as people see these things swing into town in remoter parts of the world that they invite a lot of unwanted attention. I can remember riding a motorcycle in remote parts of India, as soon as I'd stop to make a brew a crowd would appear from nowhere. With these outfits I'd imagine that the local tribal leaders will be joining the crowd and expect to be invited inside etc. Then again, maybe I'm just a little bit envious. That's a nice looking machine Ettienek, not such a behemoth as others.
    Last edited by B Murr; 2020/03/11 at 10:55 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to B Murr For This Useful Post:

After been through the caravan stage, trailer and rooftop tent phases of travelling, we have opted for a Mercedes Sprinter self conversion. We bought a 23 seater bus in May '19 and got it converted into a comfortable self contained camper by December. It is not 4x4 but has the double wheel at the back. As such the traction is excellent and although the ground clearance is reasonable, and it has no problems on gravel roads, it has its limitations. This is the compromise for comfort that we are happy with.

We did 6000km trip in December. Wedding in Swakopmund. Then Cape Town for Christmas and up to East London before returning home to Jhb via the Eastern Free State.

Very comfortable. No setting up time. And reasonable on fuel @ 13,4 l/100km for the trip. Cruising at 120 km/h most of the way.

Amazed that there are not more of these vehicles on the road in SA.

Resources for conversion not readily available so it took a lot of research. Made some mistakes and learnt a lot in the process.

If anyone needs info they are welcome to call me. 079 498 8693
    Last edited by Doggone; 2020/03/12 at 06:02 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doggone For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    After been through the caravan stage, trailer and rooftop tent phases of travelling, we have opted for a Mercedes Sprinter self conversion. We bought a 23 seater bus in May '19 and got it converted into a comfortable self contained camper by December. It is not 4x4 but has the double wheel at the back. As such the traction is excellent and although the ground clearance is reasonable, and it has no problems on gravel roads, it has its limitations. This is the compromise for comfort that we are happy with.

We did 6000km trip in December. Wedding in Swakopmund. Then Cape Town for Christmas and up to East London before returning home to Jhb via the Eastern Free State.

Very comfortable. No setting up time. And reasonable on fuel @ 13,4 l/100km for the trip. Cruising at 120 km/h most of the way.

Amazed that there are not more of these vehicles on the road in SA.

Resources for conversion not readily available so it took a lot of research. Made some mistakes and learnt a lot in the process.

If anyone needs info they are welcome to call me. 079 498 8693
    I am sure you must enjoy the Van a lot. It's a really nice project to tackle. How about some more photos? or a video?

The Sprinter is very near perfect on many levels for traveling. 4x4 Sprinters are not generally available in SA, you have to import. A month or so ago, one was advertised in CT for R925 000 (16k on the clock) So these things don't come cheap.
    Ezzac

We know nothing about these people or there lives and why they do what they do. Many on here may find truck rigs too big, pretentious etc etc while others find them practical and a good idea and others are just jelous that they can't afford them themselves.
    Not everybody is the same and neither are our needs and to be quit honest when I see what some people spend on a 4x4 rig that they might do a couple of trips across the border in in a year I'm pretty shocked.
    All of the trucks I've met going through East Africa have been on an extended trip from Europe to Cape Town or vise versa , lots with kids, some elderly and some middle aged but all with a sence of adventure I admire and respect.
    Overlanding is a state of mind and a lifestyle. We don't have to understand others choices just live with our own.
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    DAF (Beast)
    Mog 416
    Amarok (platcar to fetch eggs)

Self made nilionaire

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 2.8i rocks For This Useful Post:

I like the concept of taking a little house with you but it does deny you some access. I would not fancy off tar roads Lesotho in one, Ben 10, van Zyl's etc or even the 4x4 sections at say Mountain Zebra. But having seen a LR FC with a 300Tdi engine and an offroad bike on the back, a combination the owner swore by to take him and his wife on a long trip every year I was a little envious. Obviously you need time and maybe patience though, ideally to be retired I guess.

One I spotted last year. They have a website too showing the build.https://www.mokama.ch/wohnmobil.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0136.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	561579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0140.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	561580  

Part of the reason I went for self conversion was cost. I bought a 2015 vehicle with 191 000km on the clock. I spent R40 000 getting it to near perfect running condition. The rest of the conversion cost about R 120 000. Major expenses were solar system. This cost R30 000. Installation of aircon in cab of vehicle @ R26 000. Gas/electric geyser @ R 5 000. I did all installation work myself except for kitchen and overhead cupboards which cost R10 000.

Re registering and licensing the vehicle as a motorised caravan cost about R5 000 and while tedious, introduced me to some very helpful people.

At R 450 000 it is expensive but about what an upmarket offroad caravan costs these days. The difference is the convenience.

My wife and I also upgraded our drivers licenses to code C1. We decided not to keep the vehicle under 3 500 kg limit as this is too constrictive.

I will tty to post more photos and a video soon

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doggone For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    Part of the reason I went for self conversion was cost. I bought a 2015 vehicle with 191 000km on the clock. I spent R40 000 getting it to near perfect running condition. The rest of the conversion cost about R 120 000. Major expenses were solar system. This cost R30 000. Installation of aircon in cab of vehicle @ R26 000. Gas/electric geyser @ R 5 000. I did all installation work myself except for kitchen and overhead cupboards which cost R10 000.

Re registering and licensing the vehicle as a motorised caravan cost about R5 000 and while tedious, introduced me to some very helpful people.

At R 450 000 it is expensive but about what an upmarket offroad caravan costs these days. The difference is the convenience.

My wife and I also upgraded our drivers licenses to code C1. We decided not to keep the vehicle under 3 500 kg limit as this is too constrictive.

I will tty to post more photos and a video soon

Just remember that you can't legally tow a trailer above 750kg with a C1 licence

Quote Originally Posted by James1 View Post
    Just remember that you can't legally tow a trailer above 750kg with a C1 licence
    I have A EB C1. Only looked at the limits on my license now. Didnt realise that limit.

I assume the process of getting EC1 IS PAINFUL

Thanks for the pointer.
    Last edited by Doggone; 2020/03/16 at 04:56 AM.

Talking Re: Ultimate 4x4 camping truck

Each vehicle has its ups and downs. Most probably conform to each owners specific needs. Great to be able to travel like this but if you go with the big vehicle type camper, limitations are some routes you can travel and even doing shopping with a truck like that. Pulling along a small vehicle is wise but an extra hassle that can limit the routes you can choose. Saw two Over Landers at Gariep a while back. Looked really great although the were old vehicles and compared to the luxury I have in my caravan it was ok but to be honest I will stick to my caravan and tow vehicle. In the end it comes down what works for you.Must be amazing traveling like that. Hope to do that in future with my caravan.

Lovely rig, nice if you can afford it but I tend to prefer travelling light. To each their own, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I think lighter is better for many reasons and when you drive into small villages with a lot of expensive equipment it just tends to increase social distance between local and traveller. It also makes a statement: I have money, a lot of it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chopwet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    Quite happy with mine...
    I've always wanted one of those. I'd drop the I6 and put in a TDi, then do a disk brake conversion in front but apart from that and some soundproofing I reckon they're great.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Question Re: Ultimate 4x4 camping truck

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Looks like a great camping truck, but unfortunately most game parks in Africa will not allow big trucks like that off the main roads, and I wouldn't want to take something that big onto many of the most worthwhile tracks for exploring, especially in the mountainous areas East Africa.
    Yeah you right Tony, to change a wheel/tyre on a rig like that youhad better be strong and have help! Using a winch wheel lift obviously makes it a tad easier but that wheel probably weighs around 100++kgs, - not something I would want to tackle in 32+degree heat in Tanzania!

Not for me either, too many places what you would not be able to get to.

A few years back we met a guy with such truck on top on Van Zyls. He battled to get there and just wanted to get out of there the quickest way.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/03/17 at 11:18 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

My daughter and son in law have been travelling through sub-sharan Africa for a number of years in their Iveco diesel 4x4 truck much smaller than an over lander]and were enjoying every moment-not too big but very comfortable and luxurious-built in Western Cape-I think Camping world. They sold their properties and the truck serves as home -they are now stuck in Miami but will return home ASAP to continue with their adventures. Friends of theirs fro Europe ow travelling S America], has a MAN 17t truck that is very luxurious and they once stayed over a few days at our plot outside Krugersdorp. It was during the rainy season and luckily I have a separate gate for trucks; otherwise the rails for the gate motor would have collapsed-just too big and heavy for me. It is very luxurious with marble top kitchen etc-will stick to my small caravan. We also saw some huge RVs in the Florida Keys-the guys park next to each other with as little a 2 meters space between them-water and sewerage couple up. Not our style of camping here in SA

Name:	20200110_064119.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	563669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.37.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	563671  

Another few images of Tutti, owned by Wayne and Ronelle Duck

Name:	IMG-20170212-WA0008.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	563674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trok.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	563675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170510-WA0007.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	563676  

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pietpajero For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2