Ultimate 4x4 camping truck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ultimate 4x4 camping truck

I know many say they have the ultimate camper van/truck/4x4 set up, but this weekend I camped at Forever Resort in Plett and a very nice couple arrived with what I can only describe as the ultimate camping truck, they showed us the interior and I can only describe it as ultra luxurious, unfortunately I only took one picture, but it is build on a Iveco Eurocargo 4x4 truck, and from there on everything else is custom, apparently it took about 2.5 years to complete and it was build somewhere in Johannesburg, amazing to see what can be build in SA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5589.jpg 
Views:	3038 
Size:	595.7 KB 
ID:	560155

2. The Following User Says Thank You to V10 jnr For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ultimate 4x4 camping truck

Looks like a great camping truck, but unfortunately most game parks in Africa will not allow big trucks like that off the main roads, and I wouldn't want to take something that big onto many of the most worthwhile tracks for exploring, especially in the mountainous areas East Africa.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

i take it the white jimny goes on the trailer behind the Camper ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Looks like a great camping truck, but unfortunately most game parks in Africa will not allow big trucks like that off the main roads, and I wouldn't want to take something that big onto many of the most worthwhile tracks for exploring, especially in the mountainous areas East Africa.
    I agree Tony, I think even parts of Moremi may be impossible - the old Third Bridge for example, I don't know if the new bridge will hold a truck that big, or if you can maybe drive around. And even if the bridge can hold the weight, the branches on many of the tweespoor roads will scratch it VERY badly. In fact, that last part goes for most parks.

The other thing is that road taxes and entry fees into the parks increase exponentially the bigger your vehicle gets. But, if you can afford that vehicle, you're probably not too worried about costs.

Some one enjoy his life success!

There is no such thing as the ultimate camping truck - just like there isn't a perfect wife
    but so nice to shop with one's eyes when the opportunity arrives.
    Ezzac

Yeah, the Jimny is for everyday driving, he can also hook up a R1200GS to the back of the truck with a lift system, in this case it was carrying a big spares box, sure you will have to do your pre-planning when going anywhere in this monster. I was told they where working there way down the coast to Cape Town and then up the west coast into Namibia, so keep your eyes open, doubt it's possible to miss this beast

I am almost 100% sure this might be the same guys that build the one I saw, but the one from the article isn't nearly as luxurious as the one from the weekend, plus they had access through the cab into the living area.

https://www.sa4x4.co.za/review-iveco-eurocargo-4x4-motorhome/

I once drove up from Cape Town to Namibia in truck like that. As a passenger. Same concept, just more basic.
    Freaking hell, it was slow. Fine when you've retired, or on a long-term trip, but for someone who is just looking to get away for a long weekend? No.

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    I once drove up from Cape Town to Namibia in truck like that. As a passenger. Same concept, just more basic. Freaking hell, it was slow. Fine when you've retired, or on a long-term trip, but for someone who is just looking to get away for a long weekend? No.
    I think if you can afford this type of vehicle you take long weeks away not a basic long weekend like a normal 9 to 5er

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    I once drove up from Cape Town to Namibia in truck like that. As a passenger. Same concept, just more basic.
    Freaking hell, it was slow. Fine when you've retired, or on a long-term trip, but for someone who is just looking to get away for a long weekend? No.
    I somehow doubt driving from CT to Nam is a long weekend trip..............unless you just enjoy driving.

And the new gen trucks like the Iveco Daily 4x4 can easily maintain 120.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Cool Re: Ultimate 4x4 camping truck

Custom Campers in Meyerton build this Camper - She is Beautiful!
    Prado D4D VX
    BosBrak 2019 Iveco Daily 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by V10 jnr View Post
    I know many say they have the ultimate camper van/truck/4x4 set up, but this weekend I camped at Forever Resort in Plett and a very nice couple arrived with what I can only describe as the ultimate camping truck, they showed us the interior and I can only describe it as ultra luxurious, unfortunately I only took one picture, but it is build on a Iveco Eurocargo 4x4 truck, and from there on everything else is custom, apparently it took about 2.5 years to complete and it was build somewhere in Johannesburg, amazing to see what can be build in SA

Name:	IMG_5589.jpg 
Views:	3038 
Size:	595.7 KB 
ID:	560155

Total overkill!

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    Total overkill!
    So is driving to Plett, if you could just as well have enjoyed a relaxing weekend at Harties, no?

If you can afford (money and time) why not?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Always Bigger and Better in Gauteng!

Thats why I prefer the VW 4motion Caravelle, you can go anywhere, fuel is resonable and you can convert it into a camper with no hassle, and if that is to small you can go for the Mercedes Benz Sprinter 4x4, with the 29.l 6V diesels.
    Pepe Kleinhans
    VW Caravelle T5 4-Motion
    KTM 520 EXC and BMW R1250 GSA

Overlanding along the type of road less traveled that I prefer, would not be ideal in such a big truck. The logistics of bigger rigs are just so much more complex and to my mind the improved living facilities they provide just cannot compensate.

One has to plan ahead carefully as they cannot pass down some of the narrower roads with obstacles, narrow bridges and overhanging trees etc and in fact there are conservation areas that do not allow larger vehicles. Many is the campsite too where larger rigs simply are not allowed or cannot fit into.

Should you become stuck then something like a bulldozer might be needed to free you and changing or replacing damaged tyres can very easily be a nightmare on your own. The facilities for vehicle repairs are also spread far thinner and are far more expensive than in a conventional safari or game viewing type vehicle. The costs for spares, tyres and park entry fees are astronomical. No, too many headaches for me, I prefer lean and mean.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I always wonder if these trucks really have a benefit apart from the visual and rugged African experience, ie them being more of a satisfaction thing rather than a necessity. I can understand not wanting to tow, but this is negated in this example by towing a monstrous trailer with another 4x4. The cost of owning, maintaining and travelling with that setup must be astronomical, never mind the fact that major parks won't allow you in.

I saw two of these multi million buck trucks in the Kgalagadi last week, both were just occupied by two pensioners with the nett result a unit with a double bed, shower and bed and a nothing-more-than-usual camping kitchen. Sure, they got a lot of attention from especially tourists. I notice the one had 37" MT tires (x6). I don't want to know the cost to replace one due to a sidewall cut (and where to find one in Africa)

In the time they opened their awning and set up two chairs and a camping table, I pitched my whole caravan for 4 people. I guess it boils down to horses for course and personal liking, but I don't really see any advantages of these truck. Only disadvantages.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

I don't know. I cannot see how this can be called 'camping'. Something that big and luxurious would not feel like camping to me.
    But good on them, each to his own.

Seen in Swakopmund campsite Jan last year.
    From Switzerland (Man Truck based)

Name:	SwakopmundJan2019.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	561129

Personally I hate these massive rigs, which are usually driven by wealthy foreign travellers... They are just too heavy in virtually every way. I have always preferred the much smaller option of a VW Westfalia of which I have owned several, or even the Jurgens Autovilla. I have even owned a VW Syncro with a Westfalia pop up roof. At least that was 4x4. I would far prefer a custom built small motorhome built on a Landcruiser chassis...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast