Not good news for rhinos

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Not good news for rhinos

How is the title related to the story?

Yes, two rhino were killed in an MVA involving truck. The driver is in custody. The specific sub-species is not threatened.

I believe its sad, but hardly has any impact on ‘rhinos at large’, and rather shows that conservation efforts in Zam is working.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    How is the title related to the story?

I believe its sad, but hardly has any impact on ‘rhinos at large’, and rather shows that conservation efforts in Zam is working.
    That’s a pretty serious claim. How deep is your knowledge of rhino conservation in Zambia? Up until very recently, Mosi ao Tunya was the only park in Zambia to have Rhino, and then they only had two. This report talks about a young male, which I assume would have been a calf from the original breeding pair.

I do think this is very sad news for rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    That’s a pretty serious claim. How deep is your knowledge of rhino conservation in Zambia? Up until very recently, Mosi ao Tunya was the only park in Zambia to have Rhino, and then they only had two. This report talks about a young male, which I assume would have been a calf from the original breeding pair.

I do think this is very sad news for rhino.
    What is a pretty serious claim?

You may not agree with my opinion, but what did I say that is factually incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    What is a pretty serious claim?

You may not agree with my opinion, but what did I say that is factually incorrect?
    white Rhino are near threatened across the region, and at current poaching rates, they will be endangered soon. However, in Zambia, there are literally only a handful of white rhino left, só these two make up a huge part of the population. Zambia probably the only county with more black than white rhino (and they only have about 50 black rhino).

I think at last count there are only 7 white rhino in Zambia, all from the relocation of four animals in 2010 to Mosi o a Tunya. This was after the previous two remaining rhinos in Mosi o a Tunya were killed by poachers in 2007
    Last edited by RPiet; 2020/03/01 at 05:03 PM.

Losing any rhino is sad and criminal for the most part. This article is too much sensation seeking in my opinion. From the article it would seem as if the lost rhino are from a specific localized sub species that is under huge pressure where in fact it is localized in the southern part of Africa and in S.A. there are more than 18 - 21,000 animals.

True they are listed as Near Vulnerable but that is about the lowest rating one could get. They are without doubt under huge pressure from poaching but I am convinced the poaching would slow down as the numbers drop, the much rarer and scarce black rhino is very low on the poaching lists.
    One must remember that the last rhino was poached in the 1930s in Kruger, although the park was established in 1926 those poachers were called hunters and "legaly" shot the last known rhino in the region. New animals was introduced in about 1966 to establish a fresh population. From 366 introduced mainly from Hluhluwe the population grew to about 19000 in 2015, they must have found fertile breeding ground. Taking natural death in consideration the natural birth rate is about 650 more per year but poaching losses have passed this lately so we are in a negative growth at present. poaching losses are added from the whole country so as a bit of a bonus they are not all from Kruger although the population growth and numbers from Kruger are used for the statistics. Another positive is the number of private game reserves and hunting farms around house a fair number of additional animals with a healthy bio diversity should it be needed

Personally I don't think poaching will ever stop but I am convince that it will slow down and stabilize, look at elephant ivory poaching, it was a serious threat to elephants and now elephant have returned to such a state that even Bots is considering hunting again, locally other plans have been made to reduce their numbers as each reserve can only carry so much.

I am all for creating awareness and support for the rhino but sensationalist journalism gets my goat, inform the people without creating unnecessary emotional shock. That is old school responsible journalistic art
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/03/01 at 06:36 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post: