Discovery 2: Td5 Help needed Please, she died on me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Td5 Help needed Please, she died on me.

Ok I am now very confused and need some help in finding the solution to my problem. I replaced my fuel pump on my Td5 D2 as the old one decided to die,after replacing the pump I then drove about 30km's and everything was working great, then as I stopped at a robot she just all of a sudden died on me and I could not get her started again. I thought that it might be the fuel pump again as that was the last place I worked on but the fuel pump is working and when disconnecting the return fuel line at the front of the engin there is plenty of diesel getting there, it almoast seems like an electrical problem
    The engine cranks but is unable to start, almost like when a petrol engine has no spark. What can cause this?

Has anyone had a problem like this ? or does anyone have any ideas as to what can be wrong here?? Any advice would be appreciated
    2000 Pajero 3.5 Blister
    2002 Disco2 TD5

Hi Len

Was it you that broke down on the Jean avenue offramp this afternoon?

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Yes, that would be me.
    2000 Pajero 3.5 Blister
    2002 Disco2 TD5

Red face

I would have stopped but at that time your help arrived - rope and some delivery bakkie. I was also a bit ashamed as I was driving my Lexus, if it was the Defender I would have stopped anyway

seems like you are having a rough time.
    first start by checking all fuses including under bonnet fuses.
    then check connection to ECU. unplug and check for oil on the plug.
    check battery connection. you must have disconnected the battery when swopping the pump out.

i know i am grabbing at straws but have learnt that quite often it is something simple that causes most confusion.
    discount the turbo as this would not affect the starting.
    check fuel pump pressure as insufficient pressure would leave her unable to inject.

out of desperation, get her to the closest independant and plug her in on diagnostics to find the fault. my gut feel says injection.
    unplug the maf and try to start her.
    good luck.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

To LANDYLUVVER...I just want to commend you for always jumping in and helping when people have questions - you are always there and answering from your, no doubt, vast experience. I don't have a Defender ....yet.....but will have one some day soon. I have been reading up and educating myself as much as I can and I have learnt a lot from your posts. I salute you Sir and thank you!

Travel safe!

just a thought.
    a fair bit of fiddling has been happening under bonnet lately. a plug or wire may have been dislodged. check as far as possible plugs in the direct vicinity to where you worked ie around the turbo and injectors.

just a shot in the dark but when the engine speed sensor dies, would it bring the engine to a dead halt?

the main engine relay when fails will definately cause the engine to die. it is located in the fuse box under the bonnet.

Thanks for the pointers, I have so far cheked the following:

-Ecu connectors , seems fine
    -checked fuses & battery connection - all fine
    -checked injector loom & connectors - all fine
    -fuel pump - ok

So far everything seems ok

How do I test the Engine main Relay?
    Where is the engine speed sensor located? is this the same as the crank position sensor?
    2000 Pajero 3.5 Blister
    2002 Disco2 TD5

Quote Originally Posted by mufie View Post
    I would have stopped but at that time your help arrived - rope and some delivery bakkie. I was also a bit ashamed as I was driving my Lexus, if it was the Defender I would have stopped anyway
    No problem mufie, I was luckily close to home and help came fast
    2000 Pajero 3.5 Blister
    2002 Disco2 TD5

Default I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    To LANDYLUVVER...I just want to commend you for always jumping in and helping when people have questions - you are always there and answering from your, no doubt, vast experience. I don't have a Defender ....yet.....but will have one some day soon. I have been reading up and educating myself as much as I can and I have learnt a lot from your posts. I salute you Sir and thank you!

Travel safe!
    I agree, Thanks Landyluvver you have helped mr tremendously
    2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0ltr Roadster
    2000 Discovery 2 TD 5 ES (sold)
    2005 BMW 1200gs (sold)

Only dead fish go with the flow!

Quote Originally Posted by lencilliers View Post
    Thanks for the pointers, I have so far cheked the following:

-Ecu connectors , seems fine
    -checked fuses & battery connection - all fine
    -checked injector loom & connectors - all fine
    -fuel pump - ok

So far everything seems ok

How do I test the Engine main Relay?
    Where is the engine speed sensor located? is this the same as the crank position sensor?
    They are all the same "spec / type" in the engine bay fusebox, simply swap it out for another known good one, ABS etc

If its not that, it could be the CKP sensor, as "if" that fails she will die if running, but not start either (will crank tho)

Just to confirm / check the fuel system is properly purged, switch the ignition on and pump the accelerator atleast 6 times until the Engine managment light comes on, it will then begin to flash and the ECU will go through the fuel purge procedure, once the light stops flashing, try to start it and see what happens
    Last edited by Urban Panzer; 2010/06/25 at 07:23 AM.

..............................www.discovery2.co.uk.................................

If it cranks without starting it is most likely crank position sensor. This is the only sensor that will imobilize a td5. Al other sensors have back up values. Faulty MAF will still run, Faulty MAP will still run. ECU failure on td5 is very rare. My money is on Crank sensor

Can you hear the fuel pump run and then switch off again (cycle) If you do then it is unlikely that you have a fuel pressure problem and it should still run.
    Deon Viljoen
    Boyscout

2012 Land Rover Defender 90 2.2 Tdci S/W Sold
    2005 D2 XS TD5 Auto sold at 189000km
    2003 D2 GS TD5 Auto sold at 165000km
    1999 D2 GS V8 Auto sold at 178000km

Ok I will try and purge the fuel system again, and check the relays.

It also seems everyone agrees that with a faulty crank sensor she wont run - so this might also be a possibility - anyone perhaps have a spare I can borrow??

Thanks again for everyones input I will let you know if I find the fault.
    2000 Pajero 3.5 Blister
    2002 Disco2 TD5

Quote Originally Posted by Landiluvver 2 View Post
    I agree, Thanks Landyluvver you have helped mr tremendously
    thanks for the heads up. sometimes i think i come across as a know-it-all but comments are aimed at the guys that are not always too familiar with their vehicles or technically minded. those "landbaarde" will often disagree with some comments but my comments are IMHO and not intended to sway anyone to follow my advise to the letter.

its nice to be part of a group of helluva nice guys that have a common interest. I have met several of the guys from the forum in person and have not been disappointed.
    although having done my apprenticeship many years ago, cars have always been my passion.
    technology changes and i try to keep up but there are differences between the models.
    although it is often difficult to assess a problem from very little info, there are basics that you can fall back on.
    my old man used to say : if there is fuel and spark, it must run. unfortunately modern technology is a little more advanced and even with fuel and spark she may not want to run.

luckily the 4x4 thing bit me and happy to have something that i can use fairly reliably to get somewhere others only dream about.
    i will continue to assist where ever i can as long as i feel welcome.

Just a quick update, I have checked and purged the fuel system again an no joy there, I have also checked all relays and they are all ok. I am now convinced that it might be the crank sensor, so I will need to replace this and see if it solves the problem. Also the fact that she just suddenly stopped steers me away from thinking it is fuel related, as usually fuel related problems happen gradually, ie the car starts to shudder and stutter before it dies.

So my next mission is finding a Crank sensor, I phoned around and can find one for about R650 , agents R1100
    2000 Pajero 3.5 Blister
    2002 Disco2 TD5

rather spend your money on getting someone to help assist with finding the problem. someone like Jack will have a spare to try. if it is not that, you would have wasted your money.
    most guys will not allow a return policy on electrical / electronic equipment but are willing to fit one on their premises and if it works, then you go ahead with the deal.
    call them, they are normally open on a Saturday morning for breakdowns. if you can't get the vehicle there, they will collect.
    they are only about 25km down the road.

I cannot agree more about Landylover's generousity and willingness to help, he is more than often the first to reply!
    Len's problem - I think its one of those cases where something completely unrelated and illogical (Murphy's law) started developing a problem at a bad time - one would expect that the problem would have something to do with the replaced fuel pump.
    I would like to know what it is - will look out for the answer...

Red face

I thought a light came on in the instrument panel to show what has failed...8)
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

unfortunately not all faults show on the dash.
    the diagnostics on the D3 and D4 are more advanced but also not perfect.
    suppose soon all Discos will have complete diagnostics onboard.
    will make life a lot easier.
    many faults will only show up on testbook.
    according to rave a dead crank sensor will cause her to suddenly die and refuse to restart.
    it could get expensive to start swopping out spares till eventually one finds the problem.
    worth paying R200 odd to have diagnostics done.
    at least it may narrow it down to 2 or 3 things.
    we all want to repair our own vehicles but sometimes we have to admit defeat especially when it comes to electrickery.

A dead crank sensor will light up the engine light on the instrument panel. Could this perhaps be a loose earth or relay?
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast