Code 10 vs code 8 vehicle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Code 10 vs code 8 vehicle

Hi guys and girls.. Im starting new in the heavy vehicle category; ive recently got hold of a ford f350 the license disc says it weighs 3550kg and the GVM is 4550kg according to this info its only a 1ton vehicle; but the manufacturer says its 2040kg tare with GVM 4550kg.. What do they use to determine license fee i know of a code 8 f250 thats 1890kg tare and 3995kg GVM
    Need some clarity on what is used to determine annual license fees

Default Re: Code 10 vs code 8 vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by martiny View Post
    Hi guys and girls.. Im starting new in the heavy vehicle category; ive recently got hold of a ford f350 the license disc says it weighs 3550kg and the GVM is 4550kg according to this info its only a 1ton vehicle; but the manufacturer says its 2040kg tare with GVM 4550kg.. What do they use to determine license fee i know of a code 8 f250 thats 1890kg tare and 3995kg GVM
    Need some clarity on what is used to determine annual license fees
    License fee is directly linked to the Tare weight of a vehicle, code 8 code 10 etc (which is now qcyailly B C EB EC etc) are drivers license catagories.

Are you referring to the driving license required and itís cost, or the disk for the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    License fee is directly linked to the Tare weight of a vehicle, code 8 code 10 etc (which is now qcyailly B C EB EC etc) are drivers license catagories.

Are you referring to the driving license required and itís cost, or the disk for the vehicle?
    The vehicle itself

However, any vehicle with a GVM exceeding 3500kg, will be licensed as a commercial vehicle, and will need the road worthy done once a year etc

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    However, any vehicle with a GVM exceeding 3500kg, will be licensed as a commercial vehicle, and will need the road worthy done once a year etc
    seems its not the case with the f250 with gvm 3998kg... It was once off rwc

seems its not the case with the f250 with gvm 3998kg... It was once off rwc
    Remember that you cannot drive a Ford F250 with a B or EB licence. What you know as a code 8, as it weighs more than 3500 kg.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Remember that you cannot drive a Ford F250 with a B or EB licence. What you know as a code 8, as it weighs more than 3500 kg.
    The old f250 its tarra is less than 2ton

As far as I'm concerned, if the Gross Vehicle Mass is over 3500kg, you need a C1 drivers lisence plus PrDP. As well as annual road worthy tests. We have MB Sprinters at work that hs a GVM of 3550kg and that is the case with them.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if the Gross Vehicle Mass is over 3500kg, you need a C1 drivers lisence plus PrDP. As well as annual road worthy tests. We have MB Sprinters at work that hs a GVM of 3550kg and that is the case with them.
    That makes sense.. But the one concerning me is that the other pickup is almost 4t gross but does not need annual roadworthy

The annual license fee for the f350 is R2500 and according to the reg documents weighs over 3.5tons ..i took it to the weigh bridge and it came in at 1900kg
    Can i change this as i cant see that the f350 is only a 1t vehicle

I am not an expert but believe that its possible although might be a rocky road to achieve. I'm sure that such irregularities such as your weight discrepancy occur often. Our two Sprinters were registered by MB to have double rear wheels but never had. Its the smaller 315 versions. They only have four wheels around.
    Perhaps its not worth your while to try and change the weight. As long as your GVM is within spec (load included).
    That F250 issue sound like fraud to me. Its fairly common knowledge that F250's and VW Transporters etc are (code 10) C1 vehicles.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

martiny is dit n D/C of enkel cab.
    3500kg plus het jy n C1 met pdp as ju mense of goedere rond ry.
    The annual license fee for the f350 is R2500 and according to the reg documents weighs over 3.5tons ..i took it to the weigh bridge and it came in at 1900kg

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    Irrelevant. Al ry jy met 'n leŽ voertuig. As jy op 'n publieke pad ry, moet jy 'n PrDP hÍ. Dis volgens 'n spietkop.

Ek is bevrees hier is 'n paar mense wat nie hulle wette ken nie.Die PDP en die vereiste vir 'n code C lisensie is slegs van toepassing op "vrag voertuie" en "passassiers" voertuie.Daar is 'n spesifieke uitsluiting vir 'motor homes" en vir passassiersvoertuie wat NIE bussies is nie. Die uitsluiting sluit in alle voertuie met 'n Tare van minder as 3.5 ton, al is hulle GVM meer as 3.5.Doen 'n search op die forum, dit is wyd bespreek onder "motor homes", en die relevante wetgewing is daarby aangeheg.C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    Ek is bevrees hier is 'n paar mense wat nie hulle wette ken nie.Die PDP en die vereiste vir 'n code C lisensie is slegs van toepassing op "vrag voertuie" en "passassiers" voertuie.Daar is 'n spesifieke uitsluiting vir 'motor homes" en vir passassiersvoertuie wat NIE bussies is nie. Die uitsluiting sluit in alle voertuie met 'n Tare van minder as 3.5 ton, al is hulle GVM meer as 3.5.Doen 'n search op die forum, dit is wyd bespreek onder "motor homes", en die relevante wetgewing is daarby aangeheg.C
    Jy's heeltemal reg. En ek is jammer ek het nie geweet nie.
    Wat ek nie gesÍ het nie, was dat ons paneelwa Sprinters as kantore ingerig is en nooit bussies vir passasiers was nie.

sorry, I was wrong I see.

But it will still need the annual roadworthy, and you will need to have an EC1 license, even if you only tow a Venter
    Last edited by RPiet; 2020/03/01 at 05:11 PM.

Enkel kajuit met platbak kar vervoer wa

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    So in my geval wat staan my te doen.. Voertuig regestrasie se hy weeg 3550kg weeg brug wys hy is 1900kg

you can have the vehicle detials changed on NATIS by requesting a Data Fix. Itís quiet a process but can be done in a day. Will need to start with redoing police clearance, then off to weighbridge, that will allow them to updates the TARE weight. The GVM will still be limited to what the manufacturer has specified. You will need to provide evidence of this, as this vehicle is probably not homolugated in SA, so manufaterer data is not on record with NATIS.

I help a friend of a friend with a similar issue on his RHD conversion RAM a while ago.

Wat is die GVM op die regestrasie? Dit is die enigste ding waarna hulle gaan kyk as jy af getrek is by die weegbrug. So jy kan die bakkie laai sů veel as jy wil, so lank jy nie die GVM oortree nie. Hulle weeg nie die vrag op weegbrug nie, hulle weeg die van met vrag.

maar, as jy geld wil spaar met lisensies kan dit jou hulp om die data fix te doen.

is jy seker daai weegbrug is reg? 1900kg is baai min, my Freelander weeg 1923kg? Sekerlik moet die F350 meer weeg?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast