Angola Trip in planning phase

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Angola Trip in planning phase

Hi everyone,

We (4 of us in 2 well equipped vehicles) have decided to be exceptionally adventurous this year and do an Angola trip starting at the east Zambia/Angola border. Our tentative plan is to use the Chavuma border (north of Lukulu/Liuwa Plains) then to Luena - Kuito - Malanje - Luanda and it is down hill from there back to Ruacana (if passable).

We are looking for info from anyone who has spent any time in the east and also if anyone has any info on the Lumbala ferry across the Zambezi (north of Chavuma). Any help on the entire route will be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to tell us we are mad in the head and I will relay that back to the participants....! Our vehicles are well equipped, we have done a lot of travelling in Africa, both men are practical and mechanical and one speaks fluent Portuguese so we are keen to give it a shot!
    Last edited by Thirstie; 2009/04/06 at 12:25 PM.

The problem is that we are not in it. We have to many trips lined up for this year so far.

That and a trip to Tanzania are the ones that are a definate on my list.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Jacques & Linda,

I know nothing about Angola, I'm afraid, except that getting in in the first place can be a bit of a trial, and that there are still plenty of landmines lying around. Don't you need an invitation from an Angolan resident before they will even consider a visa?

Mike

PS..........Hope you got my email.
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Hi Mike,

We know the Chavuma border post is fine as it is used constantly by missionaries who often stay with us. We also have Zambian work permits so they won't query why we are in Zambia and we have a mate who runs a mine just outside Luanda who will write us the letter. Our biggest challenge will be trying to get the visas here in Zambia. Will tackle that next week.

Landmines are a def worry which is why we are starting so early to fish around.

Yes, got your mail - did I not reply yet? Will do so immediately, sorry about that. Only got back from Nam 5 days ago.

you don't need a third well equipped vehicle + driver?

Oh yes, would be delighted to have you along. I have PM-ed you.

To the Forum: Like I was saying to Gonorth in the PM, plans are changing as we are investigating the roads etc. I have already established the Chavuma border looks like it is a no go as the ferry at Luampala doesn't take vehicles so Jimbe will be the better option as I know we can fill up just before we cross the border.

We have also decided we would like to go as far as the Congo River mouth which will now put more pressure on us time-wise.

We have quite a bit of new information re borders and visas etc after our visit to the Angolan Consulate in Mongu plus info on the border west of Liuwa Plains is slowly coming in. There is a fair amount of detail so if anyone is interested please email me direct.

Default Angola trip

Hi Linda,
    when are you off then? We are going in Aug/Sept and would be most grateful for whatever border/immigration info you have - preferably to my email address. I'd like to know if the Mongu folks (didn't even know the Angolans had a consular office there) told you different things than the Lusaka embassy folks. Thanks.
    Cheers and bestest, Ilse
    Last edited by Ilse; 2010/04/30 at 12:19 PM.

Im very keen to know more about the routes from Angola through to Zambia. It can potentially make the trip to East Africa much shorter here from Luanda.

Thirstie,

My Wife and I are also trying to plan a trip to Angola. Where is Jimbe? I can not find it on T4A.

When are you thinking of going?

We hope to be at your camp just after the middle of September depending on bookings at Mana.

Mike

I have plotted a routed from Chavuma to Cacolo (Angola) via Luena. Looks like one would be crossing The Zambesie at Cabemba/Lumbala. Pulled it into GE and scanned it bit. Will be awesome route to travel but have no clue on the conditions. Will make enquirey with the UNHCR who travels the region often.

Maybe these guys might be willing to help.

Thank you luangwablondes. Will give it a try.

Tried the website luangwablondes but so far not much. It doesnt seen that active. I have 16 views of my post but not a single reply, so either there is no road connection or none of them know.

Very interesting discussion !!
    Im living in Lobito, Angola. We are going on Saturady the 28 of August from Lobito-Huambo-Kuito-Luena-Luau and then try to cross the border by Jimbe.
    If everything goes well we will probably reach the border by Jimbe in the end of next week. Anyone going approximately the same time, or having any more info of the border crossing ?
    If so and of anyone would have time to email some information my email address is /[email protected]/
    I will also try to post some info from one friend that went to Jimbe and into Zambia 2 weeks ago when we get in touch with them.
    /Anders

Great to hear Im not the only one trying to get into Zambia. Have you planned a route for your trip in Mapsource that you can perhaps share? I am very keen to get any feedback that you might have on your trip please.
    Last edited by lirritma; 2010/08/24 at 05:36 PM.

Snowgubben I just had a look at your potential routes. It looks like you will probably follow a route that runs more or less parralelle with the rail line in the direction of Luau. Not sure if you will be going all the way to there if you want to cross at Jimbe. You might be turning away at Luacano or Mucusuege to then turn east to link with the road that follows the DRC border to the Zambia border to Jimbe.

Can only think that one would follow this route to avoid having to cross the Zambezi.

I work on maps so please, I have no firsthand info but Im very curious to find out what route you will be following. Will you be logging the track on GPS?
    Last edited by lirritma; 2010/08/24 at 05:39 PM.

Hihi, I dont have any GPS it is my girlfriend that is in charge of that, and she is in France until saturday, so I have nothing plotted.
    Yes we were actually thinking about following the railway tracks all the way to Mozambique but we decided to continue south in Zambia to Botswana and Namibia then north again to Angola, We hope we will managed this in a month or so otherwise I think my boss will be angry.

Yes the route is to avoid Zambezi as much as possible due to the fact that it looks like it is hard to cross it at that many places with car. Do you know anyone crossing it by car at any other place more south in Angola ? Everything will be logged by Gps we even have an GPS attached to the camera

When are you planing to go yourself, and what are your route ?

Sounds like a nice trip. Which places are you planning to visit along the route?

Unfortunately dont know anyone who have been on these roads but Im making enquiry with the UNHCR.

Please log the routes and do us a report on the condition when you are back.

Our trip is still in baby shoes but it will either be 2011 or 2012 Jun/Jul.

You can follow this thread in the Angola Offroad Forum on the same topic. http://angolaoffroad.livreforum.com/...avuma-t700.htm .

If you struggle with the Portuguese you can use Google translate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast