Intro from the north

Default Intro from the north

Hellow everyone,
    I have been a member for a while and this is my first post. I'm based in Lusaka and have enjoyed going through the various threads and gleaning what I can to improve on my vehicle and camping ideas. I now just need to rob a bank to finance it all! I'm slowly adapting my old LC Troopy 78 for dedicated and self sufficient offroad travel. The excuse is I'm aiming for a month long trip down through Angola, entering at Chavuma (preferably) or Jimbi, heading north to Calundula Falls and then south to Iona and exit into Namibia via Ruacana. Back home via Katima Mulilo and using the M10 and M9 back to Lusaka. We want to be as efficient, self sustaining and comfortable as possible, and capable of survival without resupply for up to a week in the back of beyond. Have covered most of Zambia and parts of Malawi and Namibia so far, and intending to fill in the gaps that we missed over the next few years.
    Martin C

Default Re: Intro from the north

Welcome Martin.

When you do your Angolan trip it would be fantastic to get detailed feedback on entering from western Zambia via Chavuma or Jimbi. Many on this forum have considered this route to Angola, but most have chickened out and taken the long way round, entering Angola via Namibia.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Welcome Martin.

When you do your Angolan trip it would be fantastic to get detailed feedback on entering from western Zambia via Chavuma or Jimbi. Many on this forum have considered this route to Angola, but most have chickened out and taken the long way round, entering Angola via Namibia.
    Thanks Stan,

Will definitly post when we do the trip. We want to jump in at the deep end and do the rough part first, and then head south to where things are a bit more organized and finish on a relaxing note.
    Our biggest concern is the roads in Eastern Angola as many seem to be only partially rebuilt and not much maintenance. Want to go in at Chavuma and up to Lumbala, cross the Zambezi to Lucusse (and on to Luena) but gather the unfinished sandy sections can be a problem! Right now there's over 5,000m3/sec of water coming down the river at Chavumu so might be a problem to cross at Lumbala! Probably means that the earliest date one could safely cross would be in August, but difficult to get much reliable info on anything in this part of Angola! Gather the Jimbi road in is very rough.

PS: Have enjoyed your posts and comments.
    Martin C

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzamanzi For This Useful Post:

Welcome Martin

I am sure we met in Lusaka, did you have anything to do with sugar, sugar storage and or transportation of sugar?

Cheers
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Actually we did do business in Lusaka. How have you been keeping? Glad to see you here.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately