Trip Kgalagadi to Mabuasehube and back to Gauteng April 2020 holiday

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trip Kgalagadi to Mabuasehube and back to Gauteng April 2020 holiday

Hi We need some advice please?

Everything is booked and paid, 6 nights rsa side then into bots via matopi route, then 3 nights there.

1. Our rsa side cost R5700 (2 campsites six people with wild cards ) and the Botswana side was our most difficult booking ever. And costs R4700 for 2 campsites and 6 people. This seems extremely expensive?

2. We will be going out to tsabong and then back into RSA, I drive a heavy v6 petrol. So the nearest petrol station is needed. Is there another one nearer?

3.Another route shorter to PTA?

4.Do I need pula or credit card okay? So fill up tank and gery cans (3*20L) in nosob.

Any advice or tips please?
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Default Re: Trip Kgalagadi to Mabuasehube and back to Gauteng April 2020 holiday

Answers below;

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    Hi We need some advice please?

Everything is booked and paid, 6 nights rsa side then into bots via matopi route, then 3 nights there.

1. Our rsa side cost R5700 (2 campsites six people with wild cards ) and the Botswana side was our most difficult booking ever. And costs R4700 for 2 campsites and 6 people. This seems extremely expensive? Depends on where you are staying in Mabua, and who you booked through

2. We will be going out to tsabong and then back into RSA, I drive a heavy v6 petrol. So the nearest petrol station is needed. Is there another one nearer? Nothing nearer, Nossob to Tshabong is 300km, so double that to include games drives and a safety margin. Work on 5km/l not towing (you don't say if you are) and add jerry cans as required.

3.Another route shorter to PTA?

4.Do I need pula or credit card okay? So fill up tank and gery cans (3*20L) in nosob. CC should work in Tshabong

Any advice or tips please?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trip Kgalagadi to Mabuasehube and back to Gauteng April 2020 holiday

Hi RobH

Thanks for all the help, we don't tow, 3 vehicles, one diesel pajero, the hilux and a Jimny so far.

As for the expensive we tried booking mabua through dwnp but they never get back to us and most of mabua is now lodge owned as far as I understood it?

No, no lodges but a private company has the concession for Mpaya and Mabua sites, so I'd guess you are booked on one of those?

As a matter of interest let us know your camping, vehicle and conservation fees per person per day and then we can let you know if you've been ripped off.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    No, no lodges but a private company has the concession for Mpaya and Mabua sites, so I'd guess you are booked on one of those?..
    Agreed, I suspect the same.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    No, no lodges but a private company has the concession for Mpaya and Mabua sites, so I'd guess you are booked on one of those? Exactly those 2, R3137.25 for 2 nights 2 camp sites 3 cars and six people. Do you think that includes the daily rate?

As a matter of interest let us know your camping, vehicle and conservation fees per person per day and then we can let you know if you've been ripped off.
    Last edited by Gifmonster; 2020/02/26 at 12:11 PM.

Leso 1&2
    Khiding
    Monamodi 1&2
    Bosobologo
    Gate camps

These are DWNP

The rest are inter tourism sites.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Too vague Gm, how much are you paying per person per day and break it down into camping, vehicle and daily conservation levies.

I think the camping fees are P200 pppn at those sites.

Sorry about not being clear bu they also did not send us a detailed costing?

The bosobogolo booking is only 576: 36 foreign vehicle entry, 180 non-resident camping, 360 non resident entry?

and thats for the 3 cars and 6 people

The only thing that changes between the DWNP sites and Mabua/Mpaya are the camping fees

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

I am not up to date but I last paid P30 pppn for DWNP

Inter tourism rates I think are around the P180 pppn

P 120 pppn for park fees P50 for vehicle fee.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I compiled a list and try to maintain it, for Botswana Camps in most of their reserves. I make sure where possible to use DNWP campsites only, because of cost. Then, just to make sure of easy bookings, I use one of the Booking Agents in Maun, such as Botswana Footprints or NDM Travel Agency. They have a DNWP office in Maun, which they visit daily, so they can "push" the bookings. They do however charge P500 per trip for bookings.

This is my latest list for the KTFP & Mabua area

KGALAGADI TRANS FRONTIER PARK (KTFP) incl Mabuasehube

DWNP (on Botswana side)
    THE MABUASEHUBE AREA
    Mabuasehube East Entrance Gate Camps - Kteng01, 02 & 03 –just inside the Mabuasehube western entrance with ablutions.
    Kteng01 - at the gate, ablutions and water - not very nice to camp at any Gate Campsite in ant park in Botswana
    Kteng02 - at the gate, ablutions and water - not very nice to camp at any Gate Campsite in ant park in Botswana
    Kteng03 - at the gate, ablutions and water - not very nice to camp at any Gate Campsite in ant park in Botswana

Monamodi
    Monamodi 1- Ktmon1 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.
    Monamodi 2 (Best) - Ktmon2 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter with water

Lesholoagoa
    Lesholoagoa 1 – Ktles01 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.
    Lesholoagoa 2 (Best) – Ktles02 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.

Khiding pan
    Khiding pan 1 – Ktkhi01 Shade structure, shared pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).
    Khiding pan 2 (Best) – Ktkhi02 Shade structure, shared pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).

Bosobogolo Pan
    Bosobogolo Pan 1 (Best) – Ktbos01 Shade structure, with pit latrines nd shower shelter (campers to provide own water).
    Bosobogolo Pan 2 – Ktbos02 Shade structure, with pit latrines nd shower shelter (campers to provide own water).

Matopi (on southern 2 way route between Nossob and Mabuasehube)
    Matopi 1 - Ktmat01. (West) Has a pit latrine building only (campers to provide own water).
    Matopi 2 - Ktmat02. (East) Has a pit latrine building only (campers to provide own water).

Mosomane
    Mosomane – Ktmos01 No facilities, no water

PRIVATE
    Mpayathutlwa
    Mpayathutlwa 1 (Best) - Ktmpa01 Shade structure, pit latrine and shower shelter without water. Busy – At road junction
    Mpayathutlwa 2 - Ktmpa02 Shade structure only, terrible campsite (campers to provide own water).
    Mpayathutlwa 3 - Overflow Camp. Unknown facilities (campers to provide own water).

Mabuasehube Pan
    Mabuasehube Pan - Ktmab01 Small No facilities without water. Terrible campsite, High up, good view
    Mabuasehube Pan - Ktmab02 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water. Site 2 & 3 Close
    Mabuasehube Pan - Ktmab03 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water. Site 2 & 3 Close
    Mabuasehube Pan (Best) - Ktmab04 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.

Gemsbok Wilderness Trail – A 3 day/2 night wilderness trail in park interior. No Facilities (campers to provide own water).

Polentswa - 3 Campsites each with shade structure, pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).
    Rooiputs - 6 Campsites each with own shade structure, pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).
    Two Rivers - 3 Campsites each with shade structure and sharing ablution block.

QUICK REGFERENCE
    DWNP-Managed Sites
    Entrance Gate
    Entrance Gate 1 (KT-ENG-01)
    Entrance Gate 2 (KT-ENG-02)
    Entrance Gate 3 (KT-ENG-03)
    Monamodi
    Monamodi 1 (KT-MON-01)
    Monamodi 2 (KT-MON-02)
    Lesholoagoa
    Lesholoagoa 1 (KT-LES-01)
    Lesholoagoa 2 (KT-LOS-02)
    Khiding
    Khiding 1 (KT-KHI-01)
    Khiding 2 (KT-KHI-02)
    Bosobogolo
    Bosobogolo 1 (KT-BOS-01)
    Bosobogolo 2 (KT-BOS-02)
    Mosomane
    Mosomane – (KT-MOS-01)
    Matopi
    Matopi 1 (KT-MOT-01)
    Matopi 2 (KT-MOT-02)

Privately-Managed Sites
    MABUASEHUBE
    Mabuasehube 1 (KT-MAB-01)
    Mabuasehube 2 (KT-MAB-02)
    Mabuasehube 3 (KT-MAB-03)
    Mabuasehube 4 (KT-MAB-04)
    Mpayathutlwa
    Mpayathutlwa 1 (KT-MPA-01)
    Mpayathutlwa 2 (KT-MPA-02)

KTFP
    Polentswa
    Rooiputs
    Two Rivers

Camping Fees
    DNWP - P30 up to P80 pppn (Depending on Reserve, but as far as I remember Mabua is P30pppn)
    Private - Some as much as P270 pppn
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/02/27 at 10:05 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Rooiputs het deesdae water aangesien hul aan die waterstelsel van die lodge verbind is. Die water is ook redelik drinkbaar aangesien dit deur filters gaan.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

20. The Following User Says Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

Dankie vir die inligting Elize. Ek sal my lys opdateer!!
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    I compiled a list and try to maintain it, for Botswana Camps in most of their reserves. I make sure where possible to use DNWP campsites only, because of cost. Then, just to make sure of easy bookings, I use one of the Booking Agents in Maun, such as Botswana Footprints or NDM Travel Agency. They have a DNWP office in Maun, which they visit daily, so they can "push" the bookings. They do however charge P500 per trip for bookings.

DWNP (on Botswana side)
    THE MABUASEHUBE AREA
    Mabuasehube East Entrance Gate Camps - Kteng01, 02 & 03 –just inside the Mabuasehube western entrance with ablutions.
    Kteng01 - at the gate, ablutions and water - not very nice to camp at any Gate Campsite in ant park in Botswana
    Kteng02 - at the gate, ablutions and water - not very nice to camp at any Gate Campsite in ant park in Botswana
    Kteng03 - at the gate, ablutions and water - not very nice to camp at any Gate Campsite in ant park in Botswana

Monamodi
    Monamodi 1- Ktmon1 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.
    Monamodi 2 (Best) - Ktmon2 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter with water

Lesholoagoa
    Lesholoagoa 1 – Ktles01 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.
    Lesholoagoa 2 (Best) – Ktles02 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.

Khiding pan
    Khiding pan 1 – Ktkhi01 Shade structure, shared pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).
    Khiding pan 2 (Best) – Ktkhi02 Shade structure, shared pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).

Bosobogolo Pan
    Bosobogolo Pan 1 (Best) – Ktbos01 Shade structure, with pit latrines nd shower shelter (campers to provide own water).
    Bosobogolo Pan 2 – Ktbos02 Shade structure, with pit latrines nd shower shelter (campers to provide own water).

Matopi 1 - Ktmat01. (West) Has a pit latrine building only (campers to provide own water).
    Matopi 2 - Ktmat02. (East) Has a pit latrine building only (campers to provide own water).

Mosomane

PRIVATE
    Mpayathutlwa
    Mpayathutlwa 1 (Best) - Ktmpa01 Shade structure, pit latrine and shower shelter without water. Busy – At road junction
    Mpayathutlwa 2 - Ktmpa02 Shade structure only, terrible campsite (campers to provide own water).
    Mpayathutlwa 3 - Overflow Camp. Unknown facilities (campers to provide own water).

Mabuasehube Pan
    Mabuasehube Pan - Ktmab01 Small No facilities without water. Terrible campsite, High up, good view
    Mabuasehube Pan - Ktmab02 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water. Site 2 & 3 Close
    Mabuasehube Pan - Ktmab03 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water. Site 2 & 3 Close
    Mabuasehube Pan (Best) - Ktmab04 Shade structure, with pit latrine and shower shelter without water.

Gemsbok Wilderness Trail – A 3 day/2 night wilderness trail in park interior. No Facilities (campers to provide own water).

Polentswa - 3 Campsites each with shade structure, pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).
    Rooiputs - 6 Campsites each with own shade structure, pit latrine and shower shelter (campers to provide own water).

QUICK REGFERENCE
    DWNP-Managed Sites
    Entrance Gate
    Monamodi
    Monamodi 1 (KT-MON-01)
    Monamodi 2 (KT-MON-02)
    Lesholoagoa
    Khiding
    Khiding 1 (KT-KHI-01)
    Khiding 2 (KT-KHI-02)
    Bosobogolo
    Bosobogolo 1 (KT-BOS-01)
    Bosobogolo 2 (KT-BOS-02)
    Mosomane
    Mosomane – (KT-MOS-01)
    Matopi
    Matopi 1 (KT-MOT-01)
    Matopi 2 (KT-MOT-02)

Privately-Managed Sites
    MABUASEHUBE
    Mpayathutlwa

KTFP
    Polentswa
    Rooiputs
    Two Rivers

Camping Fees
    DNWP - P30 up to P80 pppn (Depending on Reserve, but as far as I remember Mabua is P30pppn)
    This is a very nice comprehensive list. damn.. Thank you..

We are going to Kgalagadi in September-October.

Mabua campsite 2
    Mosomane
    Nossob
    Mata-Mata

I had the most difficulty getting Either matopi or Mosomane booked with DWNP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3SS View Post
    This is a very nice comprehensive list. damn.. Thank you...
    It is what you have to do if you are a Tour operator/Tourist Guide... I have it for other parks and a range of campsites across SA, Namibia and Botswana, and also on route to these countries...

I normally guard this list like GOLD and do not generally give the info this freely, just felt like helping a few souls...
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/02/28 at 02:57 PM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

It is what you have to do if you are a Tour operator/Tourist Guide... I have it for other parks and a range of campsites across SA, Namibia and Botswana, and also on route to these countries...

I normally guard this list like GOLD and do not generally give the info this freely, just felt like helping a few souls...
    Great gesture, Thank you very much!!!

Thank you very much, very useful list.

Not sure that Bosobogolo 2 has more than just a shade structure but this may have changed since I was there.....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LCamper For This Useful Post:

DWNP (on Botswana side)
    THE MABUASEHUBE AREA

Monamodi

Lesholoagoa

Khiding pan

Bosobogolo Pan

Mosomane

PRIVATE
    Mpayathutlwa

Mabuasehube Pan

QUICK REGFERENCE
    DWNP-Managed Sites
    Entrance Gate
    Monamodi
    Monamodi 1 (KT-MON-01)
    Monamodi 2 (KT-MON-02)
    Lesholoagoa
    Khiding
    Khiding 1 (KT-KHI-01)
    Khiding 2 (KT-KHI-02)
    Bosobogolo
    Bosobogolo 1 (KT-BOS-01)
    Bosobogolo 2 (KT-BOS-02)
    Mosomane
    Mosomane – (KT-MOS-01)
    Matopi
    Matopi 1 (KT-MOT-01)
    Matopi 2 (KT-MOT-02)

Privately-Managed Sites
    MABUASEHUBE
    Mpayathutlwa

KTFP
    Polentswa
    Rooiputs
    Two Rivers

Camping Fees
    --------

'n Opdatering na hierdie naweek se besoek aan Mabuasehube.

Mpayathutlwa 1 - Ktmpa01 - Het water (nie drink) en opwas geriewe bygekry.
    Mpayathutlwa 2 - Ktmpa02 - Het water (nie drink) en pit latrine bygekry. Geen stort afskorting. Volgens my nie 'n slegte kampplek nie. Mooi oop.
    Mpayathutlwa 3 - Overflow Camp. Geen water en net 'n asblik. Uitsig oor die watergat.

Party plekke kort skoonmaak na die lang lockdown.
    Hein

2017 LC 200 VX 4.5D
    2018 LC 79 V8
    Bush Lapa 782 Boskriek

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eybie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eybie View Post
    --------

'n Opdatering na hierdie naweek se besoek aan Mabuasehube.

Mpayathutlwa 1 - Ktmpa01 - Het water (nie drink) en opwas geriewe bygekry.
    Mpayathutlwa 2 - Ktmpa02 - Het water (nie drink) en pit latrine bygekry. Geen stort afskorting. Volgens my nie 'n slegte kampplek nie. Mooi oop.
    Mpayathutlwa 3 - Overflow Camp. Geen water en net 'n asblik. Uitsig oor die watergat.

Party plekke kort skoonmaak na die lang lockdown.

Dankie vir die inligting. Ek sal my lys opdateer!!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast