Why should I not buy a Ranger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why should I not buy a Ranger

So, looking for a DC 4x4, still in warranty.

Non negotiable are cruise control rear view camera and rear PDC.

To my question, what are real world fuel consumptions of the 2.2 vs 3.2 auto rangers?

Are these engines rolling time bombs or solid, well engineered pieces of machinery?

And, as my budget is R400k, is a ranger a better bet than a 2.4GD6 Hilux?

Any valuable Input appreciated.

Tia,

Ian
    Current:

2019 Tiguan Allspace 2.0TDI 4Motion DSG R-Line
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto
    2016 Metalian Maxi

Default Re: Why should I not buy a Ranger

It seems the 2.2's are very reliable, I have also done a lot of homework prior to buying my Ford Everest 2.2. These motors have been around for a while and they are used in many applications from Ford, Mazda, Land Rover and Jaguar.

As far as the rest goes the Ranger feels bigger than the Hilux inside to me. I also think you should be able to find a newer lower mileage Ranger than a Hilux, due to the PERCEIVED quality of the Hilux.

You should test drive a Ranger 2.2 and Hilux 2.4 back to back.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

I have a 3.2 Auto & I love it, great car. I recently had to replace leaf springs as the old ones started sagging, other than that it’s been a gem. It sits for 6 weeks at a time and then drive it for 2 weeks. I do a fair amount of driving on the open road but I do not drive it like a granny while on the open road. I also carry anywhere between 200-250kg most of the time while driving anyways I overtake aggressively and often, I do not speed though, of course overtaking requires one to speed up but I do go back to speed limit once I pass the slow poke not sticking to the speed limit. My fuel consumption sits between 11.7L/100km - 12.9L/100km (depends on how often I need to overtake on uphills and wind direction I suppose) but I would say 12.4L/100km on average. My wife once drove and she got a fuel consumption of 8.9L/100km & I am sure if i didn’t overtake like I do I could keep it in the 10L range. Il leave the engine quality up to guys who have more millage on. Mine is only on 138 000km & is a 2012.

Have 2.2 and 3.2s that run long distances....3.2 manuals reach 290k easily....than gets sold...the 2.2s have engine or turbo failures after 120 000kms...dont think the 2.2s are strong enough..but then again depends on your usage
    Current: Polo 1.9 tdi
    Polo 1.6tdi Ranger 3.2 xls
    2.8gd6 fortuner

And before guys talk about consumption...we tested it plenty of times...3.2 and 2.2 following each other both required fill ups same time...returning same fuel consumption...possible 2.2 was using more fuel trying to keep up with 3.2 that's moving effortlessly
    Last edited by PREZO; 2020/02/25 at 09:08 PM.
    Current: Polo 1.9 tdi
    Polo 1.6tdi Ranger 3.2 xls
    2.8gd6 fortuner

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoCampers View Post
    So, looking for a DC 4x4, still in warranty.

Non negotiable are cruise control rear view camera and rear PDC.

To my question, what are real world fuel consumptions of the 2.2 vs 3.2 auto rangers?

Are these engines rolling time bombs or solid, well engineered pieces of machinery?

And, as my budget is R400k, is a ranger a better bet than a 2.4GD6 Hilux?

Any valuable Input appreciated.

Tia,

Ian
    I am on my 2nd T6 Ranger - both 2.2's, but there is also some 3.2's in our company...
    To answer your question in short: No, there is absolutely no factual reason why you should not buy a Ranger!! Best Value for money AND best long term quality feel !!!
    2017 Ranger 2.2 XL D/Cab
    2018 Polo Vivo (Mom's taxi)
    2014 BMW F800GSA
    1968 Ford 20M 2500S coupe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ha-Ka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    It seems the 2.2's are very reliable, I have also done a lot of homework prior to buying my Ford Everest 2.2. These motors have been around for a while and they are used in many applications from Ford, Mazda, Land Rover and Jaguar.

As far as the rest goes the Ranger feels bigger than the Hilux inside to me. I also think you should be able to find a newer lower mileage Ranger than a Hilux, due to the PERCEIVED quality of the Hilux.

You should test drive a Ranger 2.2 and Hilux 2.4 back to back
    Best advice on this thread!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Thanks for all the input so far. Please keep it coming
    Current:

2016 Metalian Maxi

Maybe just read up about confirmation bias before posting in a certain section.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the input so far. Please keep it coming
    Maybe test drive the amarok as well

Quote Originally Posted by keithKas View Post
    Maybe test drive the amarok as well
    Keith, thanks, I have had 4 already, and from a car perspective would gladly have one again, but, I won't find one under warranty within my budget.
    Current:

2016 Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Thank you Rainier. Extremely helpful. You may have noticed I posted this in the FORD section, as FORD people have experience with FORDS. I don't. Neither do I have experience with Toyotas, other than hearsay, i.e. D4D injectors, for example and roly poly Frotunas.
    Current:

2016 Metalian Maxi

Thank you Rainier. Extremely helpful. You may have noticed I posted this in the FORD section, as FORD people have experience with FORDS. I don't. Neither do I have experience with Toyotas, other than hearsay, i.e. D4D injectors, for example and roly poly Frotunas.
    Pleasure.

You asked 3 questions, only the first one does not require subjectivity.

Enjoy your Ford.

I am on my second 2.2.

Very very underrated. To my mind, an excellent choice, especially with the proven problem-free 6speed auto box.

Previous one was Supercab. Had to sell it because I needed a Double Cab, so I opted for 4x4 in XL trim.

Used it this past weekend at Gauteng GTG at Rametsi. Upon landing on the farm, consumption was 7.6litres per 100km. (Filled up at Dastek in Pta). After the mountain route: only 8.7.

I'd be a fool not to recommend it.
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    2017 Ford Ranger 2.2 Supercab 4x2 (Sold)
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0 Trend (Sold)
    1996 Ford Bantam 1,6i Sport (Not sold)

I think that is the whole problem with a lot of Toyota owners, and why some of them would never consider anything else.

I can not comment on the Ranger, as I haven't owned a modern example, but I can tell you that my Everest is much more stable on gravel than any of the Fortuners or Hilux I have owned before, and it also feels more refined.

I have owned many vehicles from different brands including Toyota and I have also owned some non-typical ones. I am currently driving a Duster as my daily driver, which is Romenian built with a French/Japanese diesel engine and a Japanese 4x4 system, talk about left field!

That being said, if I am in the market to buy something I would much rather want to hear about the experience from someone who owns or has owned my potential purchase, than listen to the critique from someone who has gone with another alternative.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    I think that is the whole problem with a lot of Toyota owners, and why some of them would never consider anything else.

I can not comment on the Ranger, as I haven't owned a modern example, but I can tell you that my Everest is much more stable on gravel than any of the Fortuners or Hilux I have owned before, and it also feels more refined.

I have owned many vehicles from different brands including Toyota and I have also owned some non-typical ones. I am currently driving a Duster as my daily driver, which is Romenian built with a French/Japanese diesel engine and a Japanese 4x4 system, talk about left field!

That being said, if I am in the market to buy something I would much rather want to hear about the experience from someone who owns or has owned my potential purchase, than listen to the critique from someone who has gone with another alternative.
    If I have an option to choose between 2 brands I would post my request in the general section or in both manufacturer sections, where I would probably experience similar levels of confirmation bias.

But thanks for the generalization about Toyota owners.

Default Why should I not buy a Ranger

If I have an option to choose between 2 brands I would post my request in the general section or in both manufacturer sections, where I would probably experience similar levels of confirmation bias.

But thanks for the generalization about Toyota owners.
    I am sure should the OP is serious about getting info on Toyota's vs Ford's he will ask the question in a general forum and if he wanted to ask if he should buy a 2.8 vs 2.4 Hilux it would have been in the Toyota section.

But to accuse someone of having confirmation bias by asking a specific question in a specific part of the forum....
    By the replies most of the posters did post honest answers not just the good stuff.

As for the generalization, I did say "a lot of" not "all Toyota owners", hell I used to be one! I have owned four Toyota's in recent years. But I am not married to any brand of vehicle I try to make informed decisions when I am in the market. And if someone asks a question where I feel I have the practical experience to provide an input, I will give it, otherwise what would be the point of being on this forum?

It seems that SOME Toyota owners get offended the moment you mention any other brand and do not acknowledge that Toyota's are unbreakable and do not give any problems ever!
    Last edited by Hooly; 2020/02/26 at 05:54 PM.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

A couple of years ago I was in the same position, was between a Ranger and Amarok though, there is a thread on the forum still about it, test drove both vehicles multiple times, test drove a Triton once and immediately knew the Triton is the one for me.

Test drive the vehicle(s) extensively and then go and drove something else, and take it from there.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raider4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PREZO View Post
    And before guys talk about consumption...we tested it plenty of times...3.2 and 2.2 following each other both required fill ups same time...returning same fuel consumption...possible 2.2 was using more fuel trying to keep up with 3.2 that's moving effortlessly
    Why not let the 2.2 do its work at its own pace?

Once low range is selected, it runs along with all the big guys. Probably more economically. . .
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    2017 Ford Ranger 2.2 Supercab 4x2 (Sold)
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0 Trend (Sold)
    1996 Ford Bantam 1,6i Sport (Not sold)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skihili For This Useful Post:

Bought my 2016 T6 Facelift 2.2 XL DC 4x4 in April 2018 with 43 xxx km on the clock. Currently sitting on 146 xxx km on with no problems.
    I have changed tyres to one size bigger at 265/75 r16.
    Also added a Rhino bumper to the front and a Alucab canopy to the back.
    Fuel consumption as remained pretty much unchanged. Average is 11km/l on my commute and about 12km/l on the open road.
    Lovely capable bakkie in the right hands.

I did my first service out of warranty in December 2019. Service parts were pretty cheap, R2000 for filters and oil.

If the brakes are too soft for your liking you can add Powerbrake pads and rotors. Man what a difference those make!
    2006 Ford Ranger 4000 V6 - Sold
    1990 Honda Ballade 160i - Sold
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 double cab
    Built Ford Tough.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 4xFord For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast