Stainless steel braai grids - do's and dont's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Stainless steel braai grids - do's and dont's

My friends laugh at me for washing my stainless steel braai grids after use, rendering them brand new, whereas they just burn theirs over the open flames until piping hot, and then steel brush them or dunk them in the pool.

My experience is that stainless steel rods or wire is rust free up to a point. When heated beyond a certain point it becomes brittle, to the extent that it simply breaks for no reason at all. It also burns away from excessive open flre heat, appearing to have rust damage.

Perhaps a mettalurgical or experienced tradesman / boilermaker / toolmaker type expert can explain this phenomenon to us uninformed braai fanatics.
    Last edited by Poen; 2020/03/14 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Stainless steel braai grids - do's and dont's

Im no expert, but learned over the years that a stainless grid or pan or whatever and a steel brush do not walk hand in hand, the rust comes from the mild steel brush that contaminate the stainless!
    Last edited by Frikstervx200; 2020/03/14 at 09:12 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frikstervx200 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frikstervx200 View Post
    Im no expert, but learned over the years that a stainless grid or pan or whatever and a steel brush do not walk hand in hand, the rust comes from the mild steel brush that contaminate the stainless!
    Certainly if you use a wire wheel brush to buff your stainless knife you pit the knife with mild steel wire and this is what rusts.

I have a braai grid washer - basically just a rectangular box made of stainless steel, some are plastic.

You braai, let the grid cool down, fill the washer box with water and sunlight, soak the grid overnight and rinse off the next day.

Brand shiny new.

I hate wire brushes and so dangerous. Google pizza oven wire brush swallow type of search, you will be surprised.

But each to his own.
    Karoo View Cottages, Prince Albert.
    Home of the Swartberg Pass.
    Discount offered to forum members.
    www.karooview.co.za

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LLTHB For This Useful Post:

I bought grids that have sliding retractable handles. They are not the biggest but have three of them for when we have guests and need to braai a lot of meat. After every braai they go straight into the dishwasher and still look as good as new afrer plenty of braais.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aidan zimmerman For This Useful Post:

Do not expose you stainless steel grid to flames.
    It will start rusting.
    Clean with sunlight soap after every braai.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that is full of it when it comes to braai grids. I will leave tonights grease on until I braai tomorrow but then it gets burned and brushed with a wire brush ubtill it is clean and wiped with a piece of kitchen towel with some cooking oil on it. Not only does the oil remove the last traces of rust and dirt it also oils the grid so that the meat does not stick to it. After a camping trip it goes to the workshop where it si cleaned by the big machine wire brush and then packed with oil on it until the next outing. My stainless grid gets the same treatment except it does not get the machine wire brush.

First braai of a break away the grid is heated and wiped with half an onion to remove rancid oil.

I will not prepare food in a dirty skillet why should I settle for a dirty grid
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

This fascination with braai grids I find stange as it is the end result that matters, the food prepared on whatever grid one has is more important for me.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aidan zimmerman View Post
    I bought grids that have sliding retractable handles. They are not the biggest but have three of them for when we have guests and need to braai a lot of meat. After every braai they go straight into the dishwasher and still look as good as new afrer plenty of braais.
    I have a few of these. Dishwasher as well. Love them. http://www.braaijacks.co.za/
    A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you’re rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give her your heart and she'll give you hers. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    Do not expose you stainless steel grid to flames.
    It will start rusting.
    Clean with sunlight soap after every braai.
    Hhhmm, amongst the many grids I have there is a stainless one which I now recall is from a supplier lucky draw thing I happened to win about ten years ago. The grid has never seen soap, lives with constant flames as I prefer to cook on high heat.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

A pic taken now just for whatever. My grids hang outside where I can find them when I need to, sort of under cover but exposed to the elements, and living 5km from the sea any thunderstorm comes with wind which coats them with lovely salt laden sea ambiance.

Can't think that any of these have seen soap and water, leaning like I do towards cleaning with flames and wire brushing.

I modified some toeknyp grids to work in the wood oven which I think is a good test of a grid, running 300 degree plus and not falling apart. And they are not stainless, contrary to popular thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My high-quality stainless-steel, flat, circular braai-grid (with 2 sets of varying height screw-in legs) was given to me by my wife for my 50th birthday - so you can see how old it is.
    I have never washed the grid itself, we merely burn off the old gunge on the next fire before using, and it remains in immaculate condition. It is contained within a custom-made, zip-up plastic-type canvas bag. This bag becomes messy and is scrubbed out with soap and water once in a blue moon.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I follow, rightly or wrongly, the US BBQ train of thought and dont clean the grids or inside of the Webers. I watched a BBQ programme where one well known BBQ company knocked down their 60 year old BBQs and rebuilt new, to the detriment of the flavour and the complaints from their customers.

Having grown up in a number of houses >300 years old and having survived on smoked meats and other delicacies, prepared in smokehouses of the same age or older using the same 300+ year attachments, I am not genetically predisposed to cleaning grids, hooks, rails or structures used for grilling, BBQ-ing or braaing.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Place grids on lawn, (my braai has three) spray with high pressure thingy, turn over & repeat.
    Three jobs in one! Lawn watered, lawn fertilized, grids sparkling.
    Job done!!!

Cheers
    Graeme
    2010 Puma 2.4 110
    2014 Kuga 2.0 D Titanium
    4X4 Forum1089 & AG0047

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graeme McConnachie For This Useful Post:

I mistreated my stainless grid for the past 16 years by burning it clean. I braai up to 3 times a week and it is still going strong.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/03/15 at 07:35 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme mcConnachie View Post
    Place grids on lawn, (my braai has three) spray with high pressure thingy, turn over & repeat.
    Three jobs in one! Lawn watered, lawn fertilized, grids sparkling.
    Job done!!!

Cheers
    Graeme
    Your high pressure thingy is broken.
    If I do that I will not have any lawn left.
    Choose life

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    Your high pressure thingy is broken.
    If I do that I will not have any lawn left.
    My "el Cheepo" thingy has been know to remove the paint from SWAMBO's car so it can't be that bad, but to protect lawn just stand further back & adjust the spray action!😀
    Cheers
    Graeme
    2010 Puma 2.4 110
    2014 Kuga 2.0 D Titanium
    4X4 Forum1089 & AG0047

I clean my grids from time to time. Generally I'll lightly brush them when cold, and then burn them over hot coals (not flames) until they're nice and hot. Need to have a hot grid if you want nice sear marks. I recently got two cast iron grates off the forum here from a Weber Q2000. I just place the cast iron grid on top of the normal Weber grid when I want to do steaks, wait until the cast iron is burned nice and dry (all the old sauce and marinade is charcoal), then I take a brass brush, brush it nice and clean and then slap the steaks on there. Hmmmm.

Weber gets a deep clean every now and again.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Lazy braaier's method:

(I thought this up out of laziness when camping at Kleinemonde many moons ago)

I suppose any grid will benefit from the regime I use to clean my Alva cast iron 'disk'.

Find a sandy patch of ground.
    Bury the grid (or whatever) in the shallow 'grave'.
    Keep damp (a bit of water daily).
    After a day or two the ants, (good) bacteria and water will have softened (and / or removed) most of the residue.

Wash off with a hose / high pressure cleaner, and a stiff brush.
    Disinfect on the coals with high heat.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Washing all the flavor off, hot grid 1/2 onion rub, braai, repeat.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LLTHB View Post
    Certainly if you use a wire wheel brush to buff your stainless knife you pit the knife with mild steel wire and this is what rusts.

I have a braai grid washer - basically just a rectangular box made of stainless steel, some are plastic.

You braai, let the grid cool down, fill the washer box with water and sunlight, soak the grid overnight and rinse off the next day.

Brand shiny new.

I hate wire brushes and so dangerous. Google pizza oven wire brush swallow type of search, you will be surprised.

But each to his own.
    I also clean my stainless braai grid in a home made "Rooster bad".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141014-00044.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	562112

I have found that by using Sunlight liquid, the grid get sticky after a few washes. So now I use the cheapest cold water washing powder I can buy. No more sticky at all, just clean and shiny and looking brand new as the day I first used it.

I put one measure (those blue powder scoop you get with the more expensive washing powders) in the Rooster bad.

Put the grid in and pour in some hot water from the geyser into the container (Rooster Bad). Mine take about 2.5 to 3 litres of hot water to fill it to the top.

I then pump the grid in and out of the container a few times to cause the washing powder to foam. Then leave it for about 10 min.

Take it out and brush it with a nylon brush, inside and out, rinse it with clean water, hang it to dry and I have a brand new stainless grid.

Easy.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2020/03/16 at 01:53 PM.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast