Southern Kafue Camping

Default Southern Kafue Camping

Hi Zambia Gurus!

Does anybody have up to date knowledge of camping in the southern part of South Kafue?

From what I have been able to gather, you used to be able to camp at Nanzhilla Plains Safari Camp, but that is no longer allowed?

I read somewhere about "Lilly's Camp" on the spinal road, but can't find any other information on it?

Is it possible to camp at or near the Dumdumwenzi gate?

Any help appreciated.

Default Re: Southern Kafue Camping

There shouldn't be a problem camping at Dumdumwenze - it's a spacious and large area, just chat to the scouts at the gate. It's an easy, albeit quite long, run from there to Ngoma along the Cordon Road, and there are two options around Ngoma - there's a Zawa campsite (mainly used for school groups etc, but open to the public last time I was there) and Hippo Bay near Konkamoya. Hippo Bay is on Lake Itezhi Tezhi so there is always a good chance of seeing large herds of buffalo and elephant around camp, and the ubiquitous puku.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

I was up that way earlier this year, we weren't rushing at all and it took us about 6 hours to the lake from Livingstone and another 3 hrs to Kaingu.
    There is a new road from Kalomo to Dudumwenze gate and then once through the gate there is a new road that runs just outside the park on the eastern side, when we were there 100kph would easily have been possible, not that we did that. Bare in mind that you travel outside the park and there is no wildlife, this is more of a transit route.
    We have had a lot of rain recently and I have no idea how the road has stood up.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tripodontour For This Useful Post:

Thanks Tony. That Helps. We are planning to stay at Hippo Bay, but was hoping to find something between Dumdumwenzi and Ngoma.

Quote Originally Posted by tripodontour View Post
    I was up that way earlier this year, we weren't rushing at all and it took us about 6 hours to the lake from Livingstone and another 3 hrs to Kaingu.
    There is a new road from Kalomo to Dudumwenze gate and then once through the gate there is a new road that runs just outside the park on the eastern side, when we were there 100kph would easily have been possible, not that we did that. Bare in mind that you travel outside the park and there is no wildlife, this is more of a transit route.
    We have had a lot of rain recently and I have no idea how the road has stood up.
    Thanks Tripondotour! That route to the east of the park is what Basecamp suggests. Would it be better if you have more time to drive the more western (assume corridor?) route?
    It seems you can access the park halfway up to Ngoma, via Nanzhila plains if you take the eastern route. Would at least like to drive through the plains even if camping isn't possible?

Hi Janno

I was giving the fastest route to ngoma but as Tony says I have never heard of anyone having any issues camping at Dumdumwenzi gate: last time I was there Livingstone to the gate was a leisurely 4 hrs drive

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tripodontour For This Useful Post: