Which 12v fridge to choose from?! - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Which 12v fridge to choose from?!

Quote Originally Posted by Daffy99 View Post
    Thanks everybody for their input.

Think itís between Engel or NL.
    I already have dometic CF 50.
    Bought off takealot some time ago, at great special. It is a bit heavy on my dual battery, but works well.
    what do you mean heavy on dual battery?, Size Battery and charging method used? Setting used on fridge?

reason for asking, my brother inlaw also has an older cf50 and he struggled in December, where my 85l dual SM ran off 102a/h battery and solar 100W panel no issues set at -8 freezer & 0/-1 fridge.

Carefully check the specs on the fridges before you buy.

As an example, the 40 NL has 60mm High density polyurethane insulation.

The NL 52 WEEKENDER has 42mm High density polyurethane insulation

The NL 55 has 60mm High density polyurethane insulation

That's a big difference especially in hot condition!

Check all manufactures insulation!

As mentioned above the Snomaster comes with cover, baskets and remote monitor included.

I went from a 40l Engel to a 60l Snomaster and was/is happy with both. The Engel was noisy and heavy on battery (new models might be better). I upgraded for size.

The wireless remote of the Snomaster is really great!

Snomaster Expedition series will give 70mm isolation.

Some advice - get a dual control/compartment.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Think itís between Engel or NL.
    Would like to know how the snomaster fell out of favour?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Would like to know how the snomaster fell out of favour?
    It hasnít as yet. Iím still as confused.

Just what Iíve read and heard, all are good now days.
    Iím gonna have to do a spec on all.

But def looking at 40/50L. No bigger because I have a 50L already.

It hasnít as yet. Iím still as confused.

Just what Iíve read and heard, all are good now days.
    Iím gonna have to do a spec on all.

But def looking at 40/50L. No bigger because I have a 50L already.
    why not sell your 50l and get a dual zone/compartment 85 or 96lt SM. Both could be utilized as fridge or freezer, thicker insulation and I presume would use less power than 2 fridges.

[QUOTE=DC Polokwane;4333317]Carefully check the specs on the fridges before you buy.

As an example, the 40 NL has 60mm High density polyurethane insulation.

The NL 52 WEEKENDER has 42mm High density polyurethane insulation

The NL 55 has 60mm High density polyurethane insulation

That's a big difference especially in hot condition!

Check all manufactures insulation!

As mentioned above the Snomaster comes with cover, baskets and remote monitor included.

I went from a 40l Engel to a 60l Snomaster and was/is happy with both. The Engel was noisy and heavy on battery (new models might be better). I upgraded for size.

The wireless remote of the Snomaster is really great!

Snomaster Expedition series will give 70mm isolation.

Some advice - get a dual control/compartment.[
    /QUOTE]

Controller/remote is great - solar charged or micro usb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

You won't make a mistake buying ANY of the ones mentioned.
    To me the clincher was the available LOW PROFILE of some of the Snomaster fridges. It fits underneath the tonneu cover of most bakkies. Now THAT is a serious consideration.

I could not find the same with other makes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=JLK;4332938]....the 4x4 hire companies here only use Engels as there vehicles cross borders (where no 'good service exists)...../QUOTE]

We very carefully choose our vehicles to be bullet-proof, so as not to let us down in the back of beyond. We then modify the hell out of them. These modifications now often become the weakest point in our "bullet-proof" setup.

I think that of all the common modifications, those to the 12 volt vehicle electrical system, most frequently give trouble.

Therefore the choice of 12v freezer is indeed a major issue. For reliability I would definitely look no further than an Engel, as per the above quote.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2020/02/25 at 12:47 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

ďGreat journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you campedĒ.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    what do you mean heavy on dual battery?, Size Battery and charging method used? Setting used on fridge?

reason for asking, my brother inlaw also has an older cf50 and he struggled in December, where my 85l dual SM ran off 102a/h battery and solar 100W panel no issues set at -8 freezer & 0/-1 fridge.
    I have inter volt DC system. Just bought 150 W solar panel at expo this weekend.
    Have 110Ah battery

When CF50 kicks in. Draws 4.5/5 Amps. Thatís was just running at fridge at like 1 degrees.

Iím not good at calculating numbers and electricity. But what Iíve read on here. 50 % of battery divide your amps gives a rough how many hours on battery.

I am new to this fridge and dual battery usage.
    Iíve always camped with cooler boxers and ice. Just made do. Still learning.

That's high. Normally motors starting up it would do that and settle on 2.5 to 3 amps when running. Are you running your fridge a day or 2 before trips off mains?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Keep in mind that the baskets and protective cover are sometimes at an extra cost (NL) and with Snowmaster they are included as is a wireless remote which is very handy.
    I concur.

I have two Snomasters and am very happy with them (80L single and 66L dual).
    The wireless remote makes for peace of mind and ease of use when you're up front and it's in the back or in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    That's high. Normally motors starting up it would do that and settle on 2.5 to 3 amps when running. Are you running your fridge a day or 2 before trips off mains?

My fridge is permanently powered and on. Use at home as a spare freezer.

All of the above mentioned fridges are pretty good. None are fail proof

Fridges like running continuously thus if you use them at home you generally have less issues.

But if like me u have no use for it at home and only use it for camping you can get problems when starting it after 3-6 months of standing.

I have 2 NLís one just came back from service. Friend has a Snowmaster which had to be serviced last year. Father has a Engel and also was in for service few years back.

So chose one that fits your needs. Look at hight width ect and cost of course.

Happy shopping

I have a NL. A few years back it gave out, I would guess that it had worked no more than a total of 30 days if that. NL told me they had never had a fail on this particular component but as the unit was out of warranty I had to cough up R 3500.00 or live with the worlds heaviest cooler box. If I had to buy again I would look very carefully at all brands and follow the advice given above. I guess you could find the same percentage of unhappy customers/purchased units of every brand listed above. I originally chose NL because the service center is down the road from my office! Lucky me. It does the job. Am I a loyal fan? No. Would I buy NL again? Maybe.

What I found most annoying about the cost of the repair is that is was very close to 1/2 the units purchase price. Small component that fitted in the palm of my hand!
    Last edited by Steady; 2020/02/25 at 02:58 PM.
    In a world where you can be anything, be kind. Charlie Brown.

Bought a Bushbaby 42lt from Shoprite for 3999...It replaced my old Snowmaster. Was so impressed that I bought another one.. Can set the compressor to run at max 2.4 amp per hour but also have the option to run at 4.8..works fantastically well under all conditions.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

I use a 50L Waeco/Dometic purely because they are lighter and easier for me, my bad shoulders and my 4ft wife to lug around. Would love a duel, but alas, too heavy.

Thanks for sharing the Ah on your waeco, never knew they were that thirsty.

For the size you looking, concider the 47l ARB as well. Mine has been used for 6 years with no problems. Also got a 75l dual SM and also performing flawlessly.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    I use a 50L Waeco/Dometic purely because they are lighter and easier for me, my bad shoulders and my 4ft wife to lug around. Would love a duel, but alas, too heavy.

Thanks for sharing the Ah on your waeco, never knew they were that thirsty.
    I measured mine over a run from room temperature to -5. Averaged between 3 and 5 amps continuously. Which I think is fairly normal. But I do believe the insulation isn't as good as the others. So in hot conditions it will have to run more.

But as you mentioned, it is light so I can move it from my apartment to my vehicle when needed, and it was half the price of the others so for my needs it was perfect.

If you need to move a big double fridge by yourself, good luck.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

It is a amazing how much advantage a really good product has, when it is first to market and can build up brand equity. I believe all the fridges mentioned by the OP are more or less on par, but when it was my money, I bought Engel. As you do. Mine is rusting on the outside from living next to the beach, but it is working fine after 10 years of trips and home use.

I have heard stories about how tough the Engel 40 L's are.

Then a few years ago I saw two particular Engel 40's on the back of two different Land Cruiser bakkies used by professional hunters. And I became converted.

The one was strapped in the open load bin with tralies rigged for hunting and was even without a cover. This vehicle also load game carcasses from time to time which dented the fridge. But despite of dust and blood, it just keep on going.

On this particular day the vehicle were parked outside in the sun in summer and at 3 o'clock in the afternoon the P.H. took out some kooldrinks which were close to freezing. I mentioned the fridge and he said that it lives on the back of the Cruiser like that all the time.

The other one you have to see to belive it. It was straped in a welded "cage", bolted to the back of the gate of the hunting tralies, overhanging the tailgate. Yes it sits outside of the load bin at the back and was supported by a beam bolted on the back steel bumper.

Now this one had a protective cover but it stays in full sunshine and you can imagine the amount of dust that it had to live in. Not to speak of the vibrations it had to endure.

So it was no surprise when I bought my own Engel 40 soon afterwards. And it hasn't let me down yet.

I however also like the other brands mentioned in the OP's post especially the NL.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast