Which 12v fridge to choose from?! - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Which 12v fridge to choose from?!

Did anyone take note that Dan Grec who has done extensive over landing in South America and Africs in a Jeep Wrangler decided on a Domestic
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2020/02/26 at 03:50 PM.
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

I have a NL (40l) that I bought in 2003. Still working fine, but were repaired by NL about a couple of years ago at a minimal fee. I bought an Engel (60lcombi) in 2007 and that has been working fine till a few years ago where a river flooded it's banks and the fridge was afloat in the water. R300 later and it was all fine. Bit noisy afterwards

Both these fridges took a lot of battering over the years and I can recommend both of these brands!

Over the December holidays, the Engel stopped working and some meat got lekker vrot inside! Not a pleasant experience! Got written off by the insurance. I personally think that R15400 to replace the firdge is a bit stiff and will replace it with a NL 72l Legacy fridge/freezer at about R11k

Bostoe

I think any of the 3 in the OP are fine, in my case I have a engel 15l beteen seats and had a temp sensor pack up after approx 10 years and cheap repair cost of R250.
    Currently I have the Engel and 2 x 90l NL twin fridges, selected on physical size to fit my space - have had a NL 50l weekender and a NL 60l Twin - loved the 60l twin with the dual control - in over 8 years of owning NL, have not had one issue over 150000km of mainly gravel roads -

Personally like the twin fridge/freezer - on hindsight think a double door would be better and more conveinant as one as one only opens the compartment one needs as a result the temp remains stable for longer equating to less power drain.

Love the wirteless temp controller of the Snomaster - wish other brands introduced it as standard - I use a wired remote temp sensor for the fridge in the back of the cruiser and a Blue tooth for one in the Boswa.

with other brands of fridges- check the operating temp range and choose on for your application - some deep freezers temp does not reach -20 in 40deg ambient temp - think about adding a additional thick cover that adis the retention of temp and save power

glad that the new range of NL fridges pricing is more in line with Snomaster
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    the Engel stopped working and some meat got lekker vrot inside!
    That is where the snomaster monitoring comes in.
    I dont even have a snomaster (got NL and Indel B) but will be on my shortlist if I need a new fridge.

Snomaster 40 Litre Fridge/Freezer R4,999.00

This is a good deal.

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...onitor%20Email
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by putta View Post
    I think any of the 3 in the OP are fine, in my case I have a engel 15l beteen seats and had a temp sensor pack up after approx 10 years and cheap repair cost of R250.
    Currently I have the Engel and 2 x 90l NL twin fridges, selected on physical size to fit my space - have had a NL 50l weekender and a NL 60l Twin - loved the 60l twin with the dual control - in over 8 years of owning NL, have not had one issue over 150000km of mainly gravel roads -

Personally like the twin fridge/freezer - on hindsight think a double door would be better and more conveinant as one as one only opens the compartment one needs as a result the temp remains stable for longer equating to less power drain.

Love the wirteless temp controller of the Snomaster - wish other brands introduced it as standard - I use a wired remote temp sensor for the fridge in the back of the cruiser and a Blue tooth for one in the Boswa.

with other brands of fridges- check the operating temp range and choose on for your application - some deep freezers temp does not reach -20 in 40deg ambient temp - think about adding a additional thick cover that adis the retention of temp and save power

glad that the new range of NL fridges pricing is more in line with Snomaster
    You can buy a separate, wireless temp monitor, such as Ironman.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2020/02/28 at 01:08 PM.

Kyk By Icecool.co.za, snowmaster 50l vir R4000 Van 25grade af na zero 20minute, groot mandjie wat in twee dele split, vir daai prys kan mens een vir vries en een vir yskas gebruik. Hardloop 3 dae op 102Ah battery voor mens hom weer moet laai.

All three are good.

We had a SnoMaster 70L dual and it lasted a long time, got dropped a few times very hard and after quite a few years gave up on us.
    They could repair it but said no warranty as the insides were badly damaged and they are unsure the pipes in the insulation are still good.
    We opted for the 65 L dual at a reduced price.

We now have a 40 L and 65 L dual SnoMaster, no problems (the 65L is about 2 years old now - so fairly new).
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Our 2017 SnoMaster 42L has been to Liuwa, Caprivi/Okavango, Richtersveld, Kunene River Mouth and a couple of Kruger trips and just keeps going, either as a fridge or freezer depending on that particular trip's requirements, while other fridge/freezers in our convoys have given problems...

It's powered:
    1) overnight with an extension cord from mains when available
    2) by 12v when driving
    3) by a standalone deep-cycle which gets charged up while driving, by solar panels when parked for days, by mains/extension when available
    We've been 7 consecutive days no mains, no problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    My neighbour's Engel fell out of his Range Rover on the highway when the boot opened,it looks like crap but its still running
    That should be a mandatory test for all fridges.

I have a NL weekender 50l for 6 years. Not a days issues.
    Lovely fridge/freezer. Love it.

Cant comment on others.

But what i believe is of most importance, is the installation, power supply.
    My ID10T error was poor placement of the fridge itself. We smothered it. No ventilation, hence high power draw and dead batteries.
    Correct power cables and connections are vitality important.
    Other issue was we also packed all the new warm stuff in at night.
    Thinking that's where it will cool down best and quickest with minimal current draw.
    Thats not the way to do it.
    Load the new warm stuff in in the mornings. When either solar powers it, or you driving.
    Obvioulsy when using 220v from the wall, it doesnt matter.
    Dominik says:
    Build them, Don't buy them

2004 TJ Sahara
    4.5 Rubicon Express, SYE, 35"Maxxis, Custom Hi-lift mount, winch and plenty other things

1975 Willys CJ6 8)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wrangler66 For This Useful Post:

My only issue with the Engel 40 l is the temperature control knob.

The knob turns so easily that when traveling, it is very easy to turn it by touching it with a pillow or something. One has to check it often to ensure it hasn't accidentally been changed.

Otherwise - it's a very reliable and robust little unit- ideal for compact spaces.
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Landy90fan For This Useful Post:

I have had Engel brand for over 25 years. I swear by this brand as I & my 20 + friends I introduced it to have never had an issue ever after gruelling overland trips, falling out of cars, 40+ temps ... I have a 40L and a 60L in my Bushlapa Caravan. The 80L Combi could be a good option for the cooling and freezing option in one fridge. If in doubt buy a x Engel and 1 x NL Legacy version. There have been a few probs with the older NL's from guys on our Bushlapa group to do with Thermostats and extreme heat the Freeze section not holding its cole temp, however this could have been resolved in the new Legacy edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Landy90fan View Post
    My only issue with the Engel 40 l is the temperature control knob. The knob turns so easily that when traveling, it is very easy to turn it by touching it with a pillow or something. One has to check it often to ensure it hasn't accidentally been changed.
    Agree completely that this is a potential problem depending on the way you have packed your other luggage/placed the freezer.

I have a piece of Prestick which I stick up against the control knob and it prevents turning under those circumstances.

The other very good point made above, is that all freezers must be installed with enough ventilation for efficient function. Stuffing pillows/sleeping bags and suchlike in and around them will lead to overheating and poor function.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Already mentioned

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2020/03/02 at 02:15 PM.

Have an Engel 60 and 40 - 15 years now - only issue has been a regulator failure on the 60 - motor was fine !
    Diggers
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    2"Lift, 305/70/17 Maxxis Bighorns, Maniac Front & Rear Bumpers with S/W Carrier, Long Range Tank, Diff Guard, KC Highlighters, Dual Batt System, ARB Compressor, T Max 9500 Winch.
    1996 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 aka the 'Fire Truck'
    OME, Powerflow Exhaust & Branch, ARB Bullbar, Maniac Rear Bumper with 2X Spare, KC Highlighters, Alu Cab Canopy.
    Custom Built Multitrail Ranger 7 Offroad Trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomeyer View Post
    Kyk By Icecool.co.za, snowmaster 50l vir R4000 Van 25grade af na zero 20minute, groot mandjie wat in twee dele split, vir daai prys kan mens een vir vries en een vir yskas gebruik. Hardloop 3 dae op 102Ah battery voor mens hom weer moet laai.
    Icecool website werk nie....
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 D/C Auto
    2018 Ford Everest 2.2 XLS 2x4 auto (SWAMBO)
    Echo 4 trailer

After having many a heated argument on the forum about my 3way fridges I eventually bought an Engel 40L. This was many years ago and to date it has not let me down in spite of really bad abuse and "accidentally" rolling it down a mountain albeit in my Pajero, it is still going strong.
    My gripes with the Engel are two fold. Firstly as has been mentioned the temperature knob ... Stan has just solved my problem however with a piece pres stick, thanks Stan. Secondly they (my model) has no low voltage cut out. It will make your battery very tired and at times feel like a piece of uncharged lead so be wary of this. I do know that the NL Weekender came off second best (in a big way) when it came to power usage. NL themselves came back and commented on the fact that is was a "weekender" fridge meant for exactly that, not over-landing, hense the thin 42mm insulation. I think the standard of fridges is so high these days that there is very little in it, choose whichever one you like.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Faddel For This Useful Post:

I have 2 NL'S and 1 snow master.

All the same to me, honestly the SMaster on energy efficient setting lasts longer on my 105AH batter, maybe because it is in the protective cover it came with.

Buy what fits your space and your budget.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommyknocker For This Useful Post:

Salute,

Freezer Amps drawn higher up refers:

The amps drawn on a BD35F (F=Fan) Secop (Danfoss) compressor is a function of the speed Resistor (8) installed by the Manufacturer (His decision on some basis). Please see attached Resistor 8 in the schematic and typical Resistor values vs Speed (vs Amps drawn). One manufacturer chose a resistor between 2 values depicted in the attachment to achieve his required speed - he told me why, but I forgotten (about the battery....... Eish! (slower running compressor means easier to rid the absorbed heat in the Refrigerant resulting in higher efficiency and less battery drainage?) The faster the compressor runs (same token will draw higher amps), the more refrigerant gets circulated (i.e. faster Refrigerant flow) (and more heat gets absorbed) which needs to be EFFECTIVELY cooled down (read heat to be rid out of the Refrigerant) via the Condenser. I have heard of many braggs at camping braais my freezer draws lower amps.......

The bottom line is the compressor needs to transfer all the heat out of the freezer box to the atmosphere and dissipate (Evaporator absorbs the heat by utilising the Refrigerant as Carrier and the condenser dissipates to atmosphere). It required a certain amount of energy to achieve this: and is a fixed amount (as per Newton) + there are typical losses example Compressor Friction, Heat, etc. (I don't want pluck the dam from underneath the duck :^)). This effectively means slower running compressor = using less Amps = will take longer to pump the heat out (to reach the required freezing temperature setpoint). Refrigeration System is basically a heat pump. [Heat comes from heat permeating through the insulation of Freezer Walls, opening of lid and/or adding warm items)

Trust this makes sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RESISTOR 8 VALUE SETS COMPRESSOR SPEED FOR BD35F DANFOSS_SECOP.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	560574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RESISTOR VALUE vs COMPRESSOR SPEED vs AMPS DRAWN.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	560575  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast