JHB -> Botswana -> Zambia -> Tanzania -> Rwanda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default JHB -> Botswana -> Zambia -> Tanzania -> Rwanda

Hi guys,

Ok so since the last update a lot has changed. Unfortunately my GF's grandfather passed away, so we have had to delay our trip to this Wednesday. It also means we miss the Scuba trip to Mozam, and as a result I've changed our route to start in Botswana. Unfortunately my deadline to be in Kigali by the 27th of March has not changed.

So any thoughts on my route? Do you think I have realistic travel times, taken from T4A? Any other tips or suggestions? Also where is it really a bad idea to wild camp and where could we potentially get away with it? The route through Western Tanzania and up into Rwanda I am least prepared for, so anyone with experience on the roads running up Lake Tanganyika?

We're trying to keep accommodation costs to a minimum, and have a really nice RTT set up, but will probably go to a lodge every two weeks or so to refresh. So any real gems please share!

26/02 JHB to The Plot in Lethakane - 8 hours plus border (this is 100% based on a post I saw here, Khama Rhino sanctuary is another option?)
    27/02 The Plot to Kubu Island - 2 hours (depending on conditions on the pans, otherwise straight to Nxai)

Is Kubu Island worth more than a night? We should have most of the day there on the 27th.

28/02 Kubu Island to Nxai Pan via Baines Baobabs - 5 1/2 hours
    29/02 and 01/03 Nxai Pan (which are the best spots here, we stayed in the more quiet public camp site years ago and loved it)
    02/03 Nxai Pan to Maun 3 1/2 hours (Audi Camp I've heard is good? Might find a lodge here)
    03/03 Maun to Moremi (where in Moremi will depend on what is available, I am hoping we are out of season enough to stay at Third Bridge, Xakanaka and North Bridge)
    3-10 March in Moremi
    11/03 North Gate to Savuti - 3 hours
    12 March in Savuti
    13/03 Savuti to Ihaha Rest Camp - 4 hours
    14/03 Ihaha to Senyati Safari Camp - 2 hours
    15/03 Senyati to Maramba River Lodge in Livingston via Vic Falls - 2 hours plus border x2
    16/03 Livingston to Eureka Camping Park just before Lusaka - 7 hours
    17/03 Lusaka to Forest Inn Campsite - 6 hours via Fringilla Farm to stock up on meat (Can we take Zambian meat into Tanzania?)
    18/03 Forest Inn to Kalungu Kings Highway Guesthouse - 9 hours (I thought of stopping at South Luangwa here, but there seems to be very little access from the north? T4A actually routed me via Malawi when I tried to add it, so may just add it to our return journey, which is less rushed)
    19/03 Kalungu to Lake Shore Lodge on Lake Tanganyika via Tunduma Border Post - 9 hours
    20/21/22 March at Lake Shore Lodge (will stay in the lodge after that long drive through Zambia)
    22 March till 27th March TBC but I need to fly out of Kigali on the 27th March for a shoot in London.

When I get back to Kigali on the 5th April, we will then have a much more relaxed schedule, looping up through Uganda, into Kenya, down and across Tanzania, and then back to South Luangwa and Malawi, before working our way slowly down the Mozam coast line. I am viewing that as the second leg, and have barely done any research on it. Apart from the mountain of paper work I have been doing to make it possible (and the huge scuba bag I somehow made space for).

Sorry I know this is a long post, but any thoughts would be seriously appreciated! I think my biggest trepidation is the pace with which we cross Zambia. Maybe I should sacrifice a few days in Moremi or Nxai so that we can do Zambia more justice?

Thanks in advance!

Tim Hulme
    Last edited by Tim Hulme; 2020/02/24 at 05:16 PM.
    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Default Re: JHB -> Botswana -> Zambia -> Tanzania -> Rwanda

I think you need to bank some days for the unforeseen if you have a flight booked out of Kigali on the 27th March. I never comment south of the Zambezi, but if I were you, I would leave the Botswana reserves for a different visit.

I don’t think that Kalungu King’s Highway, Zambia to Lakeshore Lodge, Tanzania is possible in 9 hours plus a border crossing. Tunduma is a busy border crossing and it took us two hours both times we crossed in 2018. Plus the myriads of 50kph signs and police waiting to stop you through even the smallest of Tanzanian villages. Your average speed will be very low. Have you thought about going up the Zambian M1 (“the Old Great North Road”) via Kasama, Mbala and the small Kasesha border crossing into Tanzania?

It is quite difficult to wild camp nowadays as all land belongs to someone and the community might take exception. You would need to find the headman and ask permission, although roadside quarries can be a good place to hide away. However, I would be very wary of wild camping on the section of road between Kigoma and the Rwanda border. There have been security issues this route near the Burundi border and there are many refugee camps.

Safari njema!

PS. It is about a four day drive from Lakeshore Lodge to Kigali - and that is with long hard days on the road.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/02/25 at 12:52 AM.

Agreed with WW that you need to factor in delays - I would head to Lake Tanganyika as speedily as possible, and chill there (as you are) but a bit more speedily. Travel hard at first, then ease off once Kigali is within easy striking distance. Sh one T happens, with predictable frequency.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I think you need to bank some days for the unforeseen if you have a flight booked out of Kigali on the 27th March. I never comment south of the Zambezi, but if I were you, I would leave the Botswana reserves for a different visit.

I don’t think that Kalungu King’s Highway, Zambia to Lakeshore Lodge, Tanzania is possible in 9 hours plus a border crossing. Tunduma is a busy border crossing and it took us two hours both times we crossed in 2018. Plus the myriads of 50kph signs and police waiting to stop you through even the smallest of Tanzanian villages. Your average speed will be very low. Have you thought about going up the Zambian M1 (“the Old Great North Road”) via Kasama, Mbala and the small Kasesha border crossing into Tanzania?

It is quite difficult to wild camp nowadays as all land belongs to someone and the community might take exception. You would need to find the headman and ask permission, although roadside quarries can be a good place to hide away. However, I would be very wary of wild camping on the section of road between Kigoma and the Rwanda border. There have been security issues this route near the Burundi border and there are many refugee camps.

Safari njema!

PS. It is about a four day drive from Lakeshore Lodge to Kigali - and that is with long hard days on the road.
    Thanks again for the invaluable advice Wazungu.

I had looked at that route up into Tanzania based on an earlier recommendation I had got, but if the route you're suggesting cuts that corner and has a smaller border post then fantastic! Any camping spots you can recommend that way?

I'll chat to the GF and see what we can shave out of the first legs itinerary to give us more time to cross Zambia and Tanzania.

That western road close to Burundi doesn't sound the safest, I guess there isn't another option if we really want to do Lake Tanganyika on the way up? So will make sure to not drive at night at all, and to have accommodation booked for that entire section.

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Agreed with WW that you need to factor in delays - I would head to Lake Tanganyika as speedily as possible, and chill there (as you are) but a bit more speedily. Travel hard at first, then ease off once Kigali is within easy striking distance. Sh one T happens, with predictable frequency.
    I can take 2/3 days out of our schedule without sacrificing much. Thinking of dropping Kubu Island and go straight to Nxai Pan, then reduce the Moremi stint by 2 days. Could probably also reduce Chobe by a day.

Any recommendations of good spots to stay along that road north in Zambia, there are a couple of 9 hour trips in a row I'd love to break up! Then we can keep the 2 more spare days for Tanganyika to Rwanda.

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    I can take 2/3 days out of our schedule without sacrificing much. Thinking of dropping Kubu Island and go straight to Nxai Pan, then reduce the Moremi stint by 2 days. Could probably also reduce Chobe by a day.

Any recommendations of good spots to stay along that road north in Zambia, there are a couple of 9 hour trips in a row I'd love to break up! Then we can keep the 2 more spare days for Tanganyika to Rwanda.
    I'm not sure I follow your route exactly, but Kapishya Hot Springs is an excellent campsite not far off the old Great North Road. Also there are a few places in Mpulungu just before you cross at Mbeya. One is called the Tanganyika Science Lodge, which is occupied by a university research team part of the year, but otherwise is open. Right on the lake. I think it's on iOverlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    Thanks again for the invaluable advice Wazungu.

I had looked at that route up into Tanzania based on an earlier recommendation I had got, but if the route you're suggesting cuts that corner and has a smaller border post then fantastic! Any camping spots you can recommend that way?

I'll chat to the GF and see what we can shave out of the first legs itinerary to give us more time to cross Zambia and Tanzania.

That western road close to Burundi doesn't sound the safest, I guess there isn't another option if we really want to do Lake Tanganyika on the way up? So will make sure to not drive at night at all, and to have accommodation booked for that entire section.
    The only thing about the Kasama, Mbala, Kasesha route is that the road isn’t good between Mbala and the border, but it’s not far and go with the flow. As for camping spots or somewhere to stay - Kapishya Hot Springs near Mpika, then there is somewhere to stay/camp in Kasama (or camp at the nearby Chishimba Waterfall where we camped in 2014), Kalambo Waterfall campsite (a bit off the road on a roughish dirt road, but worth it if it isn’t raining). Caldriver’s recommendation of somewhere to camp in Mpulungu sounds good too. Then cross the border into Tanzania.

It is likely that you might need to stay in Sumbawanga, Tanzania and we stayed at Forestway Country Lodge, but there is also the Moravian Mission which has accommodation.

As for shaving off days in Botswana etc, I would highly recommend Katavi National Park in western Tanzania and you will be driving through it on your way between Kipili and Kigoma. When will you be in western Tanzania again and be able to see one of the wildest and most remote parks? Or have time to go and see the chimps at Gombe Stream NP (on a boat from Kigoma)? You will definitely be able to go to Botswana in the years to come as it is practically in your backyard. Just saying...

Apropos the section along the Burundi border, leave Kigoma at first light and hope that the roadworks have been finished. I have read reports of people staying in a hotel somewhere on this road and I remember the name of the hotel because of its strange name and spelling, but can’t remember the town - it was called the Swidish Comfort Lodge! I will try and find the blog which mentioned it and give you the link.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/02/25 at 11:34 AM.

Here is the link to the blog I mentioned above. But I think the town where Swidish Moden Lodge is is KIBONDO and that the town name in the blog is a typo or misremembering.

https://www.followtheaardvark.com/po...ional-park-rwn

This is what I wrote in our blog in 2014.

Heading South on the Old Great North Road

After a good night on our own at the campsite at the top of Kalambo Falls (complete with campfire), we packed up and headed south. Back at Mbala, we hit good tarmac and whizzed down the Old Great North Road to Kasama. Kasama is the administrative centre for the Northern District and is a reasonable sized town. Our first port of call was to a bank to change money into Zambian Kwachas – the bank proudly displayed a sign pledging only a 7 minute wait – yeh, right. Fortified with cash, we headed to Kasama’s proudest claim – a supermarket – the first we had seen since Nairobi. Unfortunately, it was the South African chain of Shoprite. Being rather overwhelmed by being in a supermarket again, it was a fraught resupply – not helped by being hungry when shopping. As quick as we could, we headed out of town to Chishimba Falls.

These Falls are wonderful, with 3 great cascades, the bottom one being a 100 ft sheer drop. It was strange being in a belt of tropical forest, generated by all the spray of the falls, amidst what is otherwise a pretty dry landscape. The campsite by the falls was by a lovely pool, across which the sun set. As we are getting used to in Zambia, the staff were immensely helpful and courteous, and we had a lovely evening with a good fire.

The following morning we headed further South, and were able to do some Culture. First were some primitive rock paintings – not quite up to Lascaux standard, but interesting. They were amongst some rather dramatic areas of rocky hilltops, which one could see making a first-rate habitation for hunter-gatherers, with lots of shelter and great views of the surrounding countryside.

Further South we stopped at the memorial to the place where von Lettow-Vorbeck was informed of the Armistice by the local British DC on 14 November 1918, and thereupon marched his troops up to Abercorn for a formal surrender. There was a nice simple formal stone column with plaque, and beside it a German field gun of the type that the Schutztruppen had hauled and used on their amazing campaign. A rather moving spot.

At lunchtime we came to this beautiful place – Kapishya Hot Springs. It is a lodge close to Shiwa N’gandu (see ‘The Africa House’), owned by the family, and with this gorgeous pool of clear 40deg C water bubbling out of the ground. We wallowed in it this afternoon. The campsite, which we have to ourselves, is on the banks of a lovely clear river, with lots of birds. And there is a bar and, of course, wifi in the Lodge itself. We will be here a couple of days before descending into the North Luangwa Valley.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/02/25 at 12:06 PM.

Tim as usual, our forum members have been providing expert and sensible advice in my opinion.

No trip with time constraints can be all things to everyone, every time. I agree that as an enthusiast you will conveniently be able to visit Botswana and Zambia in the future. I was easily persuaded to travel the western route via Zambia into Tanzania and never regretted that (On the return leg south, we travelled the normal Great North Road route).

The west and north of Zambia, Western Tanzania, Lake Tanganyika, Lakeshore Lodge, Katavi National Park, Jacobsen's Camp (Kigoma) and Gombe Streams are all somewhat off the beaten track and are oh so rewarding. The rest you can do some other time.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Tim as usual, our forum members have been providing expert and sensible advice in my opinion.

No trip with time constraints can be all things to everyone, every time. I agree that as an enthusiast you will conveniently be able to visit Botswana and Zambia in the future. I was easily persuaded to travel the western route via Zambia into Tanzania and never regretted that (On the return leg south, we travelled the normal Great North Road route).

The west and north of Zambia, Western Tanzania, Lake Tanganyika, Lakeshore Lodge, Katavi National Park, Jacobsen's Camp (Kigoma) and Gombe Streams are all somewhat off the beaten track and are oh so rewarding. The rest you can do some other time.
    Ah well, Stan, we have to hope that Tim has a good and safe trip - and gives us some feedback.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hi all,

Just a quick update from the road.

Corona has thrown the whole trip into doubt, we’re in Kasane at the moment, hoping to cross into Zambia today but a couple of people have said we may not be let in. There are so many rumors at this point it’s hard to know.

My shoots in London and Kigali we’re obviously canceled, so at this point I’m looking for a beautiful secluded reasonably priced camp that we can call home for a week and then see what the developments are. The only unusual (for overlanding) request is that we have cell signal.

I sold up my life and spent a fortune on the car, pun intended, so I really don’t want to go home at this point, but I’m trying to make a measured reasonable decision.

Scary times, but we’re in a much better position than a lot of people so focusing on that!

Tim

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Sorry to hear Tim. You will need to clarify the transborder restrictions with the relevant authorities who, granted, might not know themselves or might have their own interpretation of what they are. Your best bet at this juncture is to make those local enquiries first.

You will also need to clarify the possible return restrictions into SA such as a 14 day quarantine period, which is being implemented on returnees from Europe and other regions.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Hi Estee,

Yeah it seems like everything is being dealt with differently at different inter africa borders. At this point I think I should maybe plan for the worst and get into a country we wouldn't mind spending a month or more in if the borders get completely locked down? Also get through the borders which are an obvious coming together of people and thus high risk, before anything spreads in this part of Africa.

The other factor to consider is if we are more than one country away from SA, we may not be allowed to transit through to get back to SA, where as I don't think we will be turned away from returning home at an SA border, even if it means quarantine etc.

Namibia feels like an obvious choice, close ties to SA, land border with SA, and very sparsely populated. Also only an hour or two away from where we are. But unlike Zim Zambia and Botswana at this point, they have had cases of Corona.

I am very aware that the virus has not, and hopefully will not, hit this part of the world. But I have also been made very aware by concerned friends and family that if it does, the health care systems and just general social interactions here, are least prepared for it.

Luckily we did unintentionally build just about the perfect car for this situation. If we can find a fairly isolated camp, that has cell signal, and water, we can live completely off the grid for a long time.

Over landing in the time of Corona...?

I've been up all night for the last two, and it seems there is almost as much disinformation as there is information. I'm trying not to be alarmist, but also don't want to just blindly stick to our original plan and hope for the best.

Any advice, or personal contacts for camp sites that fit the above description would be much appreciated.

Tim Hulme

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Hulme For This Useful Post:

Tim, where I in your position, I would hole up in Namibia to see what develops over the following month or so.

I have been following this Corona thing carefully with full access to available info and also with a medical education advantage. Obviously also a finely tuned interest in health issues whilst traveling Africa.

Almost all Namibian doctors were educated or specialized at South African medical schools and need to stand back for none. Almost certainly your medical insurance will cover you fully in Namibia. However you are young and fit and any Corona Virus infection you suffer is almost certain to be mild, less than a week of slight 'flu.

You almost certainly (as far as I can establish) will have to self-isolate in South Africa for 14 days on returning but that's not the end of the world.

Best of all you will find campsite vacancies all over Namibia at one of the best times of the year for touring there, I am envious.

Please do not feel reticent in any way in sharing your relative good fortune with us and test out your vehicle thoroughly!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Stan, prescient advise. This may be the best time ever to travel off grid.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gfogel For This Useful Post:

Agreed that you should not go more than one country away from RSA.

There is no doubt that the virus will hit Botswana, Zimbabwe, and every country that has residents that are able to do international travel.

And then you are at the mercy of not only the virus, but of the response of the country in which you find yourself, as well as of those in between you and home (which will probably be more of a problem than the actual virus). I think that the medical problem of the country that you are in is going to be related to the capacity of the medical infrastructure, rather than the level of skill to treat illness.

I would wait close. Namibia, Botswana, or Zim.
    Last edited by zoneout; 2020/03/17 at 03:19 PM.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Namibia is much cheaper than Bots if you need to hang out a bit.
    4x4 AG GP0325

I came back from Zambia just 2 days ago.
    No issues with the virus thus far.
    Local people are a bit careless when it comes to precautions, but that is no different to Botswana.
    If you plan to do at least part of your trip, Zambia will work for you as you have a fair amount of open roads to you and plenty of destinations.
    There are no signs of any panic shopping or hoarding so all well stocked.
    Country is still clean for the time being, no reported cases and as border restrictions come into force it is limiting the new arrivals.

I cannot comment on the return, but with me there were some overseas tourists entering BW with NAM rental vehicles.
    They had to fill-in some declarations but passed across without hassles.

As a RSA citizen being out of the "danger zone" for more than 2 weeks you should not have an issue entering ZAM.

Edit:
    the Kwacha is at par with the Rand, so reasonably cheap for the time being.

In case, get the visa and TIP for long enough to hole up if needed, you can get both for 90 days.
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2020/03/17 at 05:00 PM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Fantastic advise on this forum as per usual. Thanks to all.

We're holed up just outside of Kasane for a few days, had no issues topping up all our fuel, water and gas tanks, and got some supplies at the local Spar and Clicks with nothing more than a guard giving everyone hand sanitiser at the door.

On a separate note we also found out today that the amazing young guy (Brandon Allen) from Front Runner that built our car passed away. Closest we have come to calling the trip off. RIP bud.

But we're ending the day watching ellies drink at Senyati Lodge with a whiskey in hand and all will work itself out I trust.

Will keep you guys updated but I think Namibia is a great option and it was unfortunately skipped on our original itinerary.

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast