Groot rivier poort via Elands rivier

Default Groot rivier poort via Elands rivier

Anyone done this route lately? Plan is to drive up to the towers then turn right down towards Groot Rivier Poort. Spend the night at the bottom then do an overnight hike back the next day. I really dont feel like driving the Steydlerville way. The cruiser needs to stretch its legs
    2012 Troopy
    Swambo Nissan Hardbody 3.0td 4x4

Default Re: Groot rivier poort via Elands rivier

You leaving your cruiser there when you hike back home? Sorry, do I understand you correctly?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    You leaving your cruiser there when you hike back home? Sorry, do I understand you correctly?
    We are hiking up to the Keyhole kloof area. Overnight somewhere in the area and then hike back to the cruiser again Sunday morning. Swambo seems determined to drive that way. The only time I really get worried about a route is when I hear "Naa, youl befine, issa cruiser"
    Last edited by kocourek; 2020/02/24 at 11:45 PM.
    2012 Troopy

Default Groot rivier poort via Elands rivier

Quote Originally Posted by kocourek View Post
    We are hiking up to the Keyhole kloof area. Overnight somewhere in the area and then hike back to the cruiser again Sunday morning. Swambo seems determined to drive that way. The only time I really get worried about a route is when I hear "Naa, youl befine, issa cruiser"
    A while back me and my dad naively did the same. We parked well out of sight, hiked along the river and spent the night on the riverbank. That area is truly amazing. When my dad was younger they did it all the time apparently, farmers welcomed them, but times have changed...
    The next day we found a note pinned under the wiper, from a not so happy farmer.

Not sure if you know the owner of the area you intend to park your car, and the area where you want to overnight, but it would be wise to have permission.

You could tie in with Chris Jones (08two 5five9 4three5six), I know they were planning to go there last month.
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2020/02/25 at 03:39 AM.

We are going with Chris. Its just that we want to take the short route as opposed via Steydlerville
    2012 Troopy

Quote Originally Posted by kocourek View Post
    We are going with Chris. Its just that we want to take the short route as opposed via Steydlerville
    Perfect! A friend of mine did it a month or two ago with a jimny, but that was before the last rain. I would appreciate it if you could share some photos of how the area is looking like now when you return? Have great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Perfect! A friend of mine did it a month or two ago with a jimny, but that was before the last rain. I would appreciate it if you could share some photos of how the area is looking like now when you return? Have great fun!
    The route is now very easy with the grading of the route from the tower to the Poort.
    Sent from my iPhone