From a LC Double Cab v8 to a LC Double Cab v6 questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default From a LC Double Cab v8 to a LC Double Cab v6 questions

Hi everyone
    I am currently busy with a deal on a 2014 LC v6 Double Cab.
    I recently sold my LC 79 v8 diesel. Just a quick recap on the the mods I had done to my Cruiser:
    wheel spacers in the rear
    straight through De Graaf exhaust
    leather interior
    black out original mags with street tyres ( Michelin)
    gear ratio conversion
    heavy duty clutch
    ECU mapping
    Hilux Steering Wheel
    LAS snorkel
    side steps
    roll bar
    Onca wheel archers (stone guards)
    My questions are as follows for the LC v6 Double Cab:
    1. Do I need to do rear wheel spacers ?
    2. Do I need to do the gear ratio conversion ?
    3. Do I need to do the heavy duty clutch ?
    4. Will 285 tires be a problem as I used to have 265/75/16 on the v8 ?
    And lastly any advice that I should look out for, anything I should change or upgrade on the LC v6
    Please note that I will not be towing or off roading or anything like that at this stage. I will be using the Cruiser as a daily in town and maybe open road trips.
    Thanks !!!

Default Re: From a LC Double Cab v8 to a LC Double Cab v6 questions

I know guys that fitted 285 tyre on the V6, and are happy. I did not, as I tow with them from time to time, then 265/75 is better.

V6 is fine as it is, it outperform the V8 anyway The V8 is obvious a better tow vehicle.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/02/24 at 03:06 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Following with interest. Why the change form V8 to V6?

1. Personal choice, I havenít.
    2. No, petrol motor much smoother and sweeter than the diesel.
    3. No
    4. 285 is too much tyre I think, 265 is good.

Would also like to know why cange from V8 to V6?

The gear changes not necessary on the V6. Was mainly done because the V8 could do with lower RPM.

Just take your old wheelspacers of and fit to new one.?

For a daily I would not go the 285 route. To much tyre and to much fuel. Only for offroad.

Lastly, I would only do clutch if it fail. Strongly believe i not fixing things that work.

I have to ask why a cruiser DC if you are not planning any off roading or towing? its hardly a town car.
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamtheman For This Useful Post:

Some confusion between "need" and "want" on this thread. I don't think you NEED to do anything to a vehicle like that except to put in fuel and look after it. WANTing to mod it, is a completely different (and valid) situation.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

I stayed with the 265 on the v8 and was happy with them. I was just wondering as I read a few guys put on 285's. I admit that the broader tire does look nicer but I am not willing to sacrifice any power loss. That's why I was just asking about the tire sizes.
    I hope so as I do not like a lazy car and to be honest the v8 had alot of grunt and I hope I do not regret my decision
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I know guys that fitted 285 tyre on the V6, and are happy. I did not, as I tow with them from time to time, then 265/75 is better.

V6 is fine as it is, it outperform the V8 anyway The V8 is obvious a better tow vehicle.

Long story short I sold the v8 for business reasons and the plan was to get something smaller or a cheaper bakkie, even looked at the Fj's. But my heart is with the Cruiser and I cannot see myself driving another vehicle while seeing other Cruisers on the road and knowing I made a mistake. But this time I decided to try out the v6 instead. On my members introduction I stated that I came from v6's (Jeep, Ford and Nissan) and that the v8 was my first Toyota and also diesel. So hopefully I am going to like the v6. Truth be told I love the Cruisers and I cannot drive another bakkie so much for a financial decision

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kong For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Long story short I sold the v8 for business reasons and the plan was to get something smaller or a cheaper bakkie, even looked at the Fj's. But my heart is with the Cruiser and I cannot see myself driving another vehicle while seeing other Cruisers on the road and knowing I made a mistake. But this time I decided to try out the v6 instead. On my members introduction I stated that I came from v6's (Jeep, Ford and Nissan) and that the v8 was my first Toyota and also diesel. So hopefully I am going to like the v6. Truth be told I love the Cruisers and I cannot drive another bakkie so much for a financial decision
    Hmm, I used to feel that way about landrovers but these days I am very happy with an amarok and actually use a VW UP! (the horror) most of the time. I actually really like the UP. I don't know your situation, but have a look around as a cruiser is a very expensive daily and not really practical or useful. As a hardworking truck it is probably unrivalled outside of the American full size pickups, but in town, it is bulky, thirsty and impractical.

If it puts a smile on your face, then perhaps all of that is worth it. Only you know your financial situation.

Kong - I'm not an expert by a VERY long shot but have owned both and driven lots of them, here's my take:

1) V8 has nice "crawling" torque, almost like a iHZ's, and obviously also more turbo diesel torque characteristics on the open road. The V6 takes getting used to in the veld at very slow offroad work, it stalls sometimes (and for a "new" user)

2) V6 is quiet at highway speeds, and VERY smooth at around 130 km/h. I find the V8 "busier" at those speeds, with short 5th gear. I think both have the same 5th ratio, or almost, but the V6 is just much quieter on the highway.

3) The V8 would be a better towing vehicle at 100 - 110/120, its obviously a 4500cc turbo diesel. But the V6 is more than up to towing, you will have to downgear to 4th (or better still keep in 4th when towing).

4) V6 is VERY cheap to service (engine). Like in ridiculously cheap.

5) Relaibility?? Havent seen 400 000 km V8 Diesels yet, but have seen a couple 500 000 + km V6's.

6) Consumption, I'd say where the V8 gives you at, say, a steady 110 km/hour around 8, the V6 will give around 6.5. I'd work on a very rough figure of around 1,5 km/l difference between the 2, maybe even less. That means, if we start of a 1500 trip to Cape Town, at a steady steady 110, the V6 will use around 45 litres more fuel than the V8. Dunno what the Price in $$ per litre would be (P vs D).

Both are good, really really good 4x4 SFA Vehicles.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    I have to ask why a cruiser DC if you are not planning any off roading or towing? its hardly a town car.
    I had a few guys ask me that. Honestly I just love them. Just something about a Cruiser. I used to off road years back and once I am more stable with my business and have more time I will start again. Then all I have to do is change the tires to proper off road tires as the Michellin road tires are no good on off road and there you go Drove the v8 for about 2 years and never found it difficult in town or anything. Its a pleasure to drive but I will admit its not for everyone. Either you love the Cruiser for what it is or you dont.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kong For This Useful Post:

I will be using the Cruiser as a daily in town and maybe open road trips.

Then I'd say a V6 is a Perfect choice

If you wanted to go rock crawling etc etc then the V8 is perfect.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2020/02/25 at 05:05 PM.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    Some confusion between "need" and "want" on this thread. I don't think you NEED to do anything to a vehicle like that except to put in fuel and look after it. WANTing to mod it, is a completely different (and valid) situation.
    Very true There are a few 'wants' that I want to do but that will be another topic. I just wanted to find out if there is anything I should consider changing or 'need' to change. I am more concerned about the gear ratios and clutch as that to me personally was a need to my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    1. Personal choice, I havenít.
    2. No, petrol motor much smoother and sweeter than the diesel.
    3. No
    4. 285 is too much tyre I think, 265 is good.
    Thank you for the advice. I just don't want to waste money on unnecessary changes and I will definitely stick to the 265 tire size as I did with the v8.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    Would also like to know why cange from V8 to V6?

The gear changes not necessary on the V6. Was mainly done because the V8 could do with lower RPM.

Just take your old wheelspacers of and fit to new one.?

For a daily I would not go the 285 route. To much tyre and to much fuel. Only for offroad.

Lastly, I would only do clutch if it fail. Strongly believe i not fixing things that work.
    I sold the old wheel spaces with the v8 Cruiser. Do you think I should buys new ones. Will they make a difference like they did with the v8. I know the wheel base of the v8 was wider in the front than the back hence the wheel spacers; is it the same case with the v6 ?
    I have decided to stick with the 265 as I had on the v8. I was happy with that size and don't want to take a chance in putting wider tires.
    If I had to replace clutch, do you recommend OEM or duty clutch ?

Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Hmm, I used to feel that way about landrovers but these days I am very happy with an amarok and actually use a VW UP! (the horror) most of the time. I actually really like the UP. I don't know your situation, but have a look around as a cruiser is a very expensive daily and not really practical or useful. As a hardworking truck it is probably unrivalled outside of the American full size pickups, but in town, it is bulky, thirsty and impractical.

If it puts a smile on your face, then perhaps all of that is worth it. Only you know your financial situation.
    I actually did not specify the business decision; its not that I am financially in trouble. The business is still a baby and needs a lot of attention. I just thought by selling the Cruiser v8 I would speed things up a little. I want to move to Cape Town in a year or 2 and the only reason I am still here is because of the business. The v6 Cruiser is a lot cheaper than my v8 Cruiser from a buying point of view and at least my installments will be less each month. Unfortunately my heart talks first than my brain and the Cruiser always puts a smile on my face and to be honest I regret selling my Cruiser. Maybe I am being stupid but I guess only time will tell I did test drive the v6 and I actually liked it. Not sure if on the long run I will enjoy it as much as I did the v8 but I will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    I sold the old wheel spaces with the v8 Cruiser. Do you think I should buys new ones. Will they make a difference like they did with the v8. I know the wheel base of the v8 was wider in the front than the back hence the wheel spacers; is it the same case with the v6 ?
    I have decided to stick with the 265 as I had on the v8. I was happy with that size and don't want to take a chance in putting wider tires.
    If I had to replace clutch, do you recommend OEM or duty clutch ?

Thanks for the input
    V6 and V8 use the same axles. Spacers only required if you are doing lot a sand driving, for the rest you would not really need it.

No need for clutch upgrade.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Kong - I'm not an expert by a VERY long shot but have owned both and driven lots of them, here's my take:

1) V8 has nice "crawling" torque, almost like a iHZ's, and obviously also more turbo diesel torque characteristics on the open road. The V6 takes getting used to in the veld at very slow offroad work, it stalls sometimes (and for a "new" user)

2) V6 is quiet at highway speeds, and VERY smooth at around 130 km/h. I find the V8 "busier" at those speeds, with short 5th gear. I think both have the same 5th ratio, or almost, but the V6 is just much quieter on the highway.

3) The V8 would be a better towing vehicle at 100 - 110/120, its obviously a 4500cc turbo diesel. But the V6 is more than up to towing, you will have to downgear to 4th (or better still keep in 4th when towing).

4) V6 is VERY cheap to service (engine). Like in ridiculously cheap.

5) Relaibility?? Havent seen 400 000 km V8 Diesels yet, but have seen a couple 500 000 + km V6's.

6) Consumption, I'd say where the V8 gives you at, say, a steady 110 km/hour around 8, the V6 will give around 6.5. I'd work on a very rough figure of around 1,5 km/l difference between the 2, maybe even less. That means, if we start of a 1500 trip to Cape Town, at a steady steady 110, the V6 will use around 45 litres more fuel than the V8. Dunno what the Price in $$ per litre would be (P vs D).

Both are good, really really good 4x4 SFA Vehicles.
    Hi Petri

Thank you for you input and info on both vehicles. It is difficult for me to compare the 2 as I only had the v8 diesel. I guess it comes down to each person's taste and needs. Some love the v8 and some the v6. At the end of the day I love both but the short test drive I took in the v6 will definitely not tell me which one I will prefer. As for the consumption I am not too worried about it. I knew what I was getting myself into when I looked for the v6. I have had a few guzzlers in my life and I am prepared for the bigger fuel bill. My father actually told me that one does not look for fuel economy in a Cruiser, if you willing to pay so much money for a Cruiser then accept everything that comes with it including the bills

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    I will be using the Cruiser as a daily in town and maybe open road trips.

Then I'd say a V6 is a Perfect choice

If you wanted to go rock crawling etc etc then the V8 is perfect.
    I have a feeling it might be but I will put in my personal input once I get the v6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast