Wiring Patrol for caravan and battery box

Default Wiring Patrol for caravan and battery box

Advice please:

I have a Patrol 4,8 and we doing a Zim trip for a month in August - the vehicle is pretty standard, and I need advice on the following:

I have a NL battery box which I will use in the Patrol, and I need to charge two batteries in the Bushlapa Rooimier whilst driving.
    I have a NL Solenoid with battery monitor still to be fitted, and the caravan needs power to charge the batteries (in my Disco 3 I have two HCDP 30amp units to power the two systems).

My question is should I put a dc-dc charger in the caravan and use the solenoid system to charge the battery box in the Patrol, or can I charge the battery box from the extra 12v plug in the car (which will use the car's battery to charge only while driving). Could the NL solenoid system then be used to charge the caravan batteries or is the distance from the alternator too far and the current loss would be too great to be effective.

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing!!!!

Default Re: Wiring Patrol for caravan and battery box

Wel regarding the NL solenoid and the battery box, should not be an issue. I had a battery box in my patrol and just pulled though a thick cable from the battery to the battery box in the back and had no issue.

Replaced the battery box with a NL solenoid and a fixed battery at the back, and also no problem so far. Charger the battery fine.

One thing that I donít think will work, is using the 12v plug in the back to charge the battery box. Donít think there is enough juice in that little plug (might be wrong)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothan For This Useful Post:

Hi Gothan,

Thanks for the reply - I suppose I am trying to get too much out of the system without buying a dc-dc charger.

The solenoid charge could not be split to supply the caravan and the battery box.

Quote Originally Posted by Onematch View Post
    Hi Gothan,

Thanks for the reply - I suppose I am trying to get too much out of the system without buying a dc-dc charger.

The solenoid charge could not be split to supply the caravan and the battery box.
    Question ....what are you going to carry in the patrol that needs a house battery? Shouldnít the batteries in the trailer be enough.

On another note, the patrol alternator kicks out a big charge ( itís not a smart alternator so it keeps the voltage), maybe see if it can carry two batteries, I think it will

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothan For This Useful Post:

I would do the following

Run 16mm^2 cables (+red and -black) from the Starter Battery to the back of the Patrol
    (50A fuse on + at starter battery)
    Same cables from the trailer coupler plus slack to the batteries in the trailer

Split vehicle wiring to end with 2 with Anderson Plugs
    - plug 1 inside the back of the vehicle - you connect the Battery Box (with solenoid installed on the box)
    - plug 2 outside under the rear bumper for connecting the trailer cables
    Now for the trailer you have 2 options
    - install another solenoid close to the batteries (here I would use the one from https://4x4direct.co.za/battery-acce...ry-system.html) - This could be problematic if you do not reach 12.8V at the back...
    - or install a proper DC-DC close to the trailer batteries : this is the better way as the Solenoid will only close once the battery in the car is fully charged and there is more than 12.8V available to the solenoid !!!)

(and yes - I would not use the 12v 10A factory fitted plug for anything serious)

I have a Aux battery in front connected to a solenoid and override to enable starting from the aux - same battery as my starter battery
    In the back I have a plug for connecting my portable box with 12A HcdP DC-DC charger - 1 x 105Ah Dixon Deep Cycle
    Outside I have a plug connecting my trailer which has a 20A HcdP DC-DC in the trailer - 2 x 105Ah Dixon Deep Cycles
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/02/25 at 07:36 AM. Reason: thikc figners small kebyord
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 848 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 105 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +50 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 120 000 km

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post: