Eish! The old Suuz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eish! The old Suuz

Our old faithful (with Forum help) is still going strong although lately very under-utilized.

My problem is mainly with non-essential comfort related issues.

1. Interior fan control keeps burning out - so made it a fixed full speed fan (No speed control anymore - ALL or NOTHING)
    In the case of "Nothing" then the aircon does not work
    2. Even if it did, the aircon unit itself is kaput and not economically (for us) repairable or replaceable - So, OK, accepted - with a 22 year old vehicle ....
    3. Now however, after replacing the driver's side electric window winder motor, the multi-switch controller (For ALL the windows) no longer works - has been temperamental for at least three years now. So can no longer open or close any windows. When they do open or close (randomly) the glass turns sideways and jambs against the guide rails inside the doors. (The front two anyway - back ones still OK in THAT respect.)

So now we have no interior fan, no aircon and no way to reliably open or close the windows.
    It works very well as a sauna but I am losing weight without that assistance and SWAMBO cannot tolerate the heat.

Unfortunately driving with all doors open is not legal or safe and we have no sunroof. (Mmmm - could be an option?)

Seriously though:

Anyone know where I can get a WORKING used main control switch for drivers door so that we can at least open and close windows?
    The individual switches on the doors do not work either so I am guessing its not the motors, tracks or individual switches at fault here.
    It is the main multi-window control on the driver's side.
    Isuzu agents want (for a "new" old one) many thousands of Randella's and cannot guarantee supply or delivery delays from wherever - no stock.

Would it make sense to pull the whole lot out and convert to a simple one speed fan and manually operated window winders?

After all, the old girl has actually served her time and had quite a hard life along the way - so not worth spending a lot here.
    Of course I AM REFERRING to the old SUUZ not the other old girl !!!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Eish! The old Suuz

WAJ changed his rocker switch on passanger door that was not working.

See here

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...14#post4233914
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

No idea about the window but if it uses the same card type fan controller than the newer models you can order them on ali express for about 150 delivered. I know you dont want to fix that though. Maybe the air duct are full of grass and dust and the cabin filter clogged hence it burning out all the time?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

Peter ... as a temp why not put a little fan (5-10” D ) , dash mounted or where-ever as per photo below ...
    The smaller one is only About R50 or R100 and typically used off a computer ...
    I carry one or both these in case my aircon packs up in hot times/places.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/02/22 at 01:37 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    Peter ... as a temp why not put a little fan (5-10 D ) , dash mounted or where-ever as per photo below ...
    The smaller one is only About R50 or R100 and typically used off a computer ...
    I carry one or both these in case my aircon packs up in hot times/places.
    We do actually have one of those that we sometimes use in the RTT. Maybe I will mount it in the cab .... as an interim anyway.
    Thanks.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Check between the driver side door and the body, there is a harness with electrical cables. The cables tend to break because of all the movement. Normally it is the thick earth cable that breaks, and then everything goes wonky on the switch.
    Use silicon spray on the window rubbers (spray it with the thin pipe into the groove) it should help with the turning glass, if the mechanism is still intact. Remove the door panel and check if the glass retainers are still in place. They are normally attached with a type of R clip holding them in place. (They could have come loose) A lot of times the fan resistor blows because of poor contact on the plug. The cables get hot and transfer the heat to the resistor.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2020/02/23 at 09:33 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

OK, back to (or follow-up) on one of my questions in the OT.

Ref.: "Now however, after replacing the driver's side electric window winder motor, the multi-switch controller (For ALL the windows) no longer works - has been temperamental for at least three years now. So can no longer open or close any windows."

Actions and results so far .......

I took the whole unit apart, cleaned out many years of dust and grime.
    Sprayed all electronic boards, connectors with electrical cleaner spray.
    Checked all related wiring connected and related fuses OK.

So, a small step in the right direction happened!!!

Now all passenger windows can be controlled normally on their own individual switches and also from the main unit on the driver's door.
    The "Auto" switch for the drivers window will open the drivers window but not a damn will it close it, - in fact the winder motor does not run in the "up" configuration. I do not think it is the winder motor though. I do have a rebuilt spare winder motor on hand if needed.

If I look at that switch though all I can see is a simple rocker switch spring loaded type thing that reverts to off when not being held to one or the other side.
    If I look at the other switches they are the same.

There do not seem to be any wires or connector points within that sealed switch rocker housing. Looks like the one pictured somewhere above.
    It seems to be a simple spring loaded rocker which then presses down onto points on the electric card (board unit) and somehow (?) makes or breaks contacts there.

I cant with the naked eye see any obviously burnt or damaged components on the board (even after cleaning Botswana, Nam etc. off of it!)

Can anyone help with any further tips ? Since I now have a vehicle with a half open front drivers side window which I could open fully but would not be able to close.
    Imagine leaving her in a parking lot or in a thunderstorm like that !!!

Peter, it is very good to know that your eyesight is still very good at your age, mine is a bit dodgy . Have you tried using one of the other switches to see if the same happens?

Peter, I am not familiar with the Isuzu mechanism but two common systems from that era would be either an elliptical gear with lever system or a cable system (there were others but those were common)

Each had their own favourite problems after years of use, the cable system was prone to fraying and jamming and would work to a point where it would reach the frayed section and stop.

The ratchet and corresponding gear were prone to typical mechanical wear exasperated by the dust and water that is common inside the door panel.

Your post above though, seems to indicate that you suspect it is an electrickery problem, supported by your positive result from cleaning the switch assembly which appears to have sorted some of your issues leaving this one.

Have you removed the inner door insert to inspect the mechanism?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Post pics of the master multi switch controller. I have time to search online for you. Maybe Isuzu used this across various models and we can find this somewhere.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Peter, I am not familiar with the Isuzu mechanism but two common systems from that era would be either an elliptical gear with lever system or a cable system (there were others but those were common)

Each had their own favourite problems after years of use, the cable system was prone to fraying and jamming and would work to a point where it would reach the frayed section and stop.

The ratchet and corresponding gear were prone to typical mechanical wear exasperated by the dust and water that is common inside the door panel.

Your post above though, seems to indicate that you suspect it is an electrickery problem, supported by your positive result from cleaning the switch assembly which appears to have sorted some of your issues leaving this one.

Have you removed the inner door insert to inspect the mechanism?
    yep, most issues are due to dirt and congealed lubricants

first step is to disconnect the motor from the mechanism and see if it works without having any associated drag from mechanical items
    Percivamus

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I used to have a Isuzu 280 DT - wonderful vehicle.
    One of the failures was the multi-switch panel on the driver's door.

I tried to fix it, but gave up.
    I replaced it with a black perspex panel with spring loaded toggle switches (which mimicked the contact layout of the originals - supplier helped choose them).
    It worked like a charm, and I sold it with the Heath Robinson switch panel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toggle Switch.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	560730
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post

I replaced it with a black perspex panel with spring loaded toggle switches (which mimicked the contact layout of the originals - supplier helped choose them).

yes, this would be my advice as well if you can't find the original

and any Old School bakkie will look cool with toggle switches

Last edited by jelo; 2020/03/06 at 11:56 AM.
    Percivamus

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Post pics of the master multi switch controller. I have time to search online for you. Maybe Isuzu used this across various models and we can find this somewhere.
    Will do, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post

Thanks for this.
    I think that this will be my solution as well.
    Who are the suppliers, preferable in KZN area, but wherever and who would know how to connect it correctly?
    If I replace only the driver's window switch will that affect the other window operations at all ?

My knowledge of electrickery is good enough to be downright dangerous.

Hi Peter I have just replaced the rocker switch on the plat car. Its a 5 pin one took a bit of trial and error to get the connect the terminals to the rocker switch. All the windows are working as they should. Now to make a plate to fill in the small gaps around the rocker switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Hi Peter I have just replaced the rocker switch on the plat car. Its a 5 pin one took a bit of trial and error to get the connect the terminals to the rocker switch. All the windows are working as they should. Now to make a plate to fill in the small gaps around the rocker switch.
    Eish! My late father in law (ex farmer) in" boer maak n plan" - style ALWAYS advocated "PRATLEYS PUTTY".
    But Ok, that is the least of the problem.
    I just want the window operation working - then we can look at the aesthetics of how and where to fit it.

Who supplies these polarity change switches (If that is the right term?)

Bearing in mind it is most likely 12 V DC being in the vehicle. (not sure what amps, whatever.)

Thanks to all for the help and advice.
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2020/03/08 at 11:54 AM.

I bought a generic one at the local Midas shop was about R50 and a bunch of terminal push on crimps. And some fuses

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

So MIDAS or Autozone etc. are good for thsi - thanks.
    Peter.
    Just hope I don"t set fire to the vehicle in the process of coonecting ....

Oh, OK, got it !!!

THAT's why you bought all the fuses, right ?!

Not sure if it's the keyboard playing up again or if it may be the pre-braai "tables" kicking in ?
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2020/03/08 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typing errors ..

I just realized that I omitted posting the solution to the driver's window control switch.
    This was solved by a one man auto electrician who operates in the Durban area.
    He brings his panel van workshop with him to your home and sorts the problem.
    All in cost in this case was R 600. Very fair I think since that includes his call out fee, labour & materials.
    A nice neat job done and it works just fine.
    NOTE: This was done pre- lock down !!
    The new switch with the two arrows (up & down) bypasses the one in the original master control panel marked "Auto". All the others in the master control for the other windows operate as before as do the individual switches on the other doors.
    The drivers window moves up or down for as long as you keep your finger on the switch, so you can stop at any point between fully open or closed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast